Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #15
Originally Posted by Mody n Domy View Post
We are full timers and I was wondering if there an app that would direct you to a more desirable part of city to stay for the night while traveling. Whether you decided to stay at a campground or Wall Mart or rest area. We have stayed at a few questionable spots and I didn't rest easily. I am aware that there could be problems anywhere, but if I could minimize the risk it would make me feel better.
Contrary to what you may have been told, (or lead to believe),... the "sky IS NOT falling"..... anywhere.

mel s is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
I agree with the recommendation for using rvparkreviews.com. If anything, the reviews lean to the conservative/safe/picky side.

Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Everyone talks about Wal Marts, and while some may like them, I have yet to see one where I would spend the night. I have also read that any Camping World will allow you to spend the night, as will Bass Pro shops, Cabellas, many churches (with permission), and many Sam's
Club stores (owned by Wal Mart). I bet lots of places might allow it even if not mainstream. It would take a lot of research and planning to pre-arrange this kind of thing so I typically pay $ and night-over at Rv campgrounds. I have felt unsafe in only one of those so far. (It was not a planned destination, but rather a weekend salvage location when we were evacuated from our primary campground due to flash flooding.)

I would not hesitate to at least ASK at some other place that looked and felt safe to spend the night. At the same time,I would be locked up tight, with my personal safeguards in place. Unfortunately, there are just too many opportunistic criminals out there to let down your guard in just any old place.
When I asked, I was told it it is Sams Club policy to NOT allow overnight parking. WM OTOH, says yes, unless restricted by local laws.
Near our house is a Sams Club and Rural King farm (former WM bldg) store next door, sharing a huge parking lot. Overnight parking is allowed in front of the Rural King, not in front of Sams Club.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
How to find a safe place to stay

I use allstays app for campgrounds.

I've also parked at our church parking lots around the country. The church has a directory app for members and I contact one of the leadership and let them know we will be parked overnight in the lot, and not to worry. Seldom had more of a response then just "okay, welcome" We've even had a few invitations for dinner or visits. A couple of time we were checked out with our local leadership, but usually not.

Of course depending on your personal denomination your results may vary.
Joseph and Sandy
Arizona Sunbirds

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:16 PM   #18
Ford Super Duty Owner
When needed we use the truck stops along the freeways (not the often almost empty and dark rest areas, but the stops with fuel, eats, etc). Also flying j, pilot, and yes WalMart.
2002 Four Winds Infinity 37', 2 slides, F53 with V10, 22,500# chassis, CHF. 4 of us and a German sheperd.
hochmuth1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Been using Wal*Marts since 2007 and have never had a problem...Have also used Flying J a couple of times and Sam's a few time with no problems.
Charles and Martha*2008 Monaco Signature
FMCA #F388752*GoodSam Life Member
2007 Ford Explorer - Toad
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #20
Use your sixth sense, maybe use your better half's, and stay where she think's it is SAFE. I like a lot of lighting, you can always pull a shade down. No enjoyment, being apprehensive.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
For a free night the Harvest Host is our first choice ...
Harvest Hosts is a great program! Highly recommended. The AllStays app is a good source, too. So is the Good Sam directory, and when using that, we tend to stay at campgrounds with the higher ratings. I've stayed at Wal-Marts, Camping Worlds, Flying Js, and even at the Bigfoot factory the night before we had our levelers installed -- all without any issues. We also enjoy state parks, even for an overnight stay. And, yes, the comment to move on when you don't feel comfortable is spot on!
2004 Itasca Spirit -- The Darlin' Dot II
A big fan of Jimmy Buffett, The Boston Red Sox & The Open Road
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark ... and we're wearing sunglasses."
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
We have over nighted 100 plus times a Wal-Mart and not had problems. Pick them well, Use Allstays app and Google Earth to get an idea of the neighborhood. Many times at Cracker Barrel. We have to disconnect the toad to fit in the RV areas, but no big deal. We love the convenience. When getting from point A to Point B, there is nothing better. Problems are rare. We also love Passport America. Smart phones have changed the whole process of camping.
Lindsay Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #23
Damon Owners Club
I prefer truck stops, for a quick over night. That said, we have stayed at many Pilot / Flying J's. In fact, Pilot, has a book that list all their locations across the country; Many of them are specifically designed for RV/MN
Wb2IVU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #24
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Always ask when you arrive. Most even allow the slides to be extended. Always try to buy something there.
The slide out, jacks down, issue has been bounced around
on many forums.
The issue is the word "PARKING".
Most city by-laws allow W/M, and other store to have "overnight parking".
Parking means being able to move at a moments notice.
Camping is when you set up.
Some stores are now issuing a "tag" to be placed on your unit.
The tag shows you actually asked and were given the info.
Otherwise be prepared to be woke up and asked to move.

Walmarts guidelines state.....no slides, jacks, chairs, bbq's.

I am sure this debate will continue until we have finally lost
parking at all W/Ms. Look at the number that do not allow
overnight parking. The list is getting longer.

luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote