Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #1

How to keep motorhome cool while stored

Any ideas on how to keep my motorhome "cool" while parked at home and not in use? It sits in the direct sun (no choice on that) and by mid to late afternoon it's 100 degrees inside. I have the bathroom roof vent open but that doesn't help much. I don't want to run the air conditioner every day.

Probably not much solution to this but I'd like to hear any ideas.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Any thoughts about building a car port to keep it out of the sun? I have seen a trailer where they built a temporary cover using metal pipes. The pieces were from an awning place and were constructed like tinker toys. The material stretched over the frame was the sun shade material. It seemed to work. They are full time in Yuma so there are some extreme temperatures.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Car/RV port is the best solution of course.
I leave one air conditioner on 80-85 degrees when it's 90+ degree weather.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #4

Reflectix. Its the foil insulation with the bubble wrap type stuff. Get a roll at Lowes/Home Depot. Cut pieces to fit your windows and place them in the inside between the window and shade/blinds.
Have done this for my Lexington, which also sits next to our house, in sunlight. Temp drop is easily 10-15 degrees less than without.
Stuff is easy to cut, and although looks "flimsy" does last. Still using pieces I made over 2 years ago.
Also cut a piece to fit the shower skylight. Velcro tabs on each corner keep it up, and that will also decrease the heat a lot.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:51 AM   #5

I put a MaxxFan in mine and have it set to come on when the inside of the coach reaches 90 degress, and then it closes again after it's below 90 degrees. You can set the activation temperature wherever you'd like (or not at all).
It certainly makes a difference on these hot days.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-26-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

Fans are ok, but all your doing is moving hot air around. The idea is to block the sun from the interior which will heat the air/interior up.
Proof....sit in a car that has front window facing the sun, without a sunshield.
Now, sit in the same car with a sunshield.
Big difference.
What your doing with the Reflectix is adding a "sunshield" to all the windows.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:43 AM   #7

I agree that shade of some sort would be best, and I'll likely get some Reflectix at some point, but that will be more for MY comfort while running AC, rather than when the coach is just sitting in the driveway unused. Having the fan running pulls in outside air (I have another vent open to allow for easy air movement - not that I think for a second that my 20 year old coach is airtight). I realize it could be better - heck I do as others do and run the AC. But just having this fan running in there makes a noticeable difference inside on hot afternoons. Yes it's still hot inside, but it's not AS hot.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I tinted all my windows and made reflective covers for the windshields. The tint I used reflects 99% infra-red (heat) and blocks 80% visible light.

I bought a roll of the aluminized bubble wrap insulation material and made custom covers for the two front windows and the two small side windows that are not tinted.

I leave all the blinds down and shades pulled.

If I'm storing it, I leave all four of my roof vents open (summer) ( I have MaxxAire covers)

If I'm living in it, I close the roof vents and install the four aluminized vent covers that I made for the vents.

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd be careful with the reflective material. I had a windshield split down the middle . Truth be told , I washed it midday :( .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Reflectix. Its the foil insulation with the bubble wrap type stuff. Get a roll at Lowes/Home Depot. Cut pieces to fit your windows and place them in the inside between the window and shade/blinds.
Have done this for my Lexington, which also sits next to our house, in sunlight. Temp drop is easily 10-15 degrees less than without.
Stuff is easy to cut, and although looks "flimsy" does last. Still using pieces I made over 2 years ago.
Also cut a piece to fit the shower skylight. Velcro tabs on each corner keep it up, and that will also decrease the heat a lot.
Grumpy
X2 ... I am still carrying a piece around for the windshield .... amazing ability to cut heat. You will probably need to ask for it by name. Basically, it is like bubble wrap with foil on both sides.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I tinted all my windows and made reflective covers for the windshields. The tint I used reflects 99% infra-red (heat) and blocks 80% visible light.

I bought a roll of the aluminized bubble wrap insulation material and made custom covers for the two front windows and the two small side windows that are not tinted.

I leave all the blinds down and shades pulled.

If I'm storing it, I leave all four of my roof vents open (summer) ( I have MaxxAire covers)

If I'm living in it, I close the roof vents and install the four aluminized vent covers that I made for the vents.

Window tint and window covers | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Bookmarked your info. I have been looking for something like that.

I had a 20 x 40 carport installed to keep the old girl out of the sun
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #12
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
OH YAH - As Cliff noted, DO NOT wash or spray anything on your windshield unless you know the glass surface is cool.

Before I spray water (or anything) on my windshield, I place my hand on it to check the temperature. If its warm or hot. I don't wash the vehicle.

A small chip or scratch in the glass will spread if thermally stressed, i.e. spraying cool water on a hot windshield.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The bottom line is that if it sits outside all the time, the inside of the MH will become the same temp as it is outside. You can protect the inside a bit by covering the windows and keeping the sun off furniture, but you can't lower the temp.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I'd be careful with the reflective material. I had a windshield split down the middle . Truth be told , I washed it midday :( .

Confession is good for the ... oh, never mind

Tags
motorhome