Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #1

how to obtain controlled meds out-of-state.

Full timing is wonderful, but getting controlled medications for Cathleen on the road is a challenge. Federal regulations require a new hard copy prescription every month and do not allow out of state prescriptions. So we can't bring prescriptions from her doctor at home and pharmacies can't accept out-of-state prescriptions, anyway. Doctors in other states are reluctant to write prescriptions for her, even though she carries her medical records with her, because they don't know her. They treat us as if we are criminals trying to obtain narcotics illegally. This all makes it difficult to be full-timers. So the problem is how to find a doctor in a state we are visiting who will write a prescription. Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be appreciated. Many thanks for your ideas, Lloyd and Cathleen

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

We get all of our meds at Walgreens and have never had an issue getting what we need when out of state. Curious, what kind of meds need a new script each month? Anyway, good luck getting what you need.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lloyd,

If you contat a hospital in the state you are going to visit, there are procedures for them to set up privileges for out of state physicians to prescribe medications.

I work in healthcare so PM me if you need any help.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

We too always get our meds at Walgreens but I think this is a case of highly controlled material and I've heard of others having this same difficulty. I can't remember the recommendations but I'll look for the thread.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

This is a pretty good discussion on the topic.

Pain Medication

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbed1 View Post
Full timing is wonderful, but getting controlled medications for Cathleen on the road is a challenge. Federal regulations require a new hard copy prescription every month and do not allow out of state prescriptions. So we can't bring prescriptions from her doctor at home and pharmacies can't accept out-of-state prescriptions, anyway. Doctors in other states are reluctant to write prescriptions for her, even though she carries her medical records with her, because they don't know her. They treat us as if we are criminals trying to obtain narcotics illegally. This all makes it difficult to be full-timers. So the problem is how to find a doctor in a state we are visiting who will write a prescription. Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be appreciated. Many thanks for your ideas, Lloyd and Cathleen
We also went to Walgreens and Walmart without problems. Some cities/counties, however, have their own rules. For example, Las Vegas required contact with the prescribing doctor before they will issue the meds. That could take 2-3 days.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some controlled substances have very tight restrictions for good reason. There are procedures but you have to jump through some hoops. Before these can be prescribed it is required in some states to confirm the patient has not been flagged.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
rwbed1, you said you've had problems, have you tried the big national chain pharmacies like Walgreens, Walmart, CVS, etc? I find if my doctor submits my prescriptions to them, I have no problems getting them filled wherever I travel. My 'scripts were in Cincinnati, I needed a med I hadn't carried with on a trip to Phoenix, Walgreens didn't hesitate to fill the 'script for the 3 days I was there -- didn't even charge me!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #9

rwbed1 was talking about "narcotics" your doctor cannot phone or fax these prescriptions in only a printed slip from there doc will be accepted
Old 11-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I got a refill of Percocet this week. The only acceptable form of the prescription. Is paper, as stated above. The doctor must certify that he/she has determined that you are not a drug abuser and I had to also sign a form stating that I do not abuse drugs. It requires a new, original prescription each 30 days - no refills.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fountain42 View Post
rwbed1 was talking about "narcotics" your doctor cannot phone or fax these prescriptions in only a printed slip from there doc will be accepted
Agreed.. We had a script that was written prior to the trip.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I still think if you can do the refill at the same pharmacy chain you have at home there will be no problem, regardless of the medication. The home pharmacy has the scrip and they "temporarily" transfer your account to the "away" branch. I take a controlled substance and have never had a problem through CVS.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
We get all of our meds at Walgreens and have never had an issue getting what we need when out of state. Curious, what kind of meds need a new script each month? Anyway, good luck getting what you need.
All narcotic pain meds require a new script each month.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #14

I take a med (non narcotic) that can only be transferred once. Even though I may have five refills, if I have that refilled in another state that script is transferred to that state, CVS in this case. At that point I can no longer get the remaing refills from another CVS because it can't be transferred again. I have to get a new script even though there are three refills remaining. You would think a national chain would be able to refill nationally... Nope
Mail order is the only solution I have come up with, and this was just for normal vacations. We dont get our MH until Dec.

Selah is offline   Reply With Quote