Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 10:00 PM   #1

How to pick my first RV?

HI! My name is Jilly Goose...I lived on a motorhome for over a hear and now have the opportunity to do it again. There are so many to choose from. I have no idea where to start How do I pick my first RV, like a pro? Any tips? I will be purchasing beginning of the year. Our needs are kitchen, bathroom, queen bed, storage and bunk beds or kid friendly and Technology friendly.
Is there certain RV, campers that cater to certain needs? Lighter than others. Is there a big difference if we gut a old RV and re do it compared a new RV?
I'm planning a 5 year road trip with 10 other friends that will or already to have their "travel home".
Thanks in Advanced!!
Jilly Goose
Royal Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 10:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
There are many determining factors, need more info!
1. Decide what type, class?
2. Budget?
3. What you are comfortable towing or driving?

We can start there, but you are the one that has to decide what is best for you? You said a 5 year trip! So it will have to be very solidly built! You also said bunks, so that rules out the older, very well built DP's, unless you have mad carpenter skills! Most of them are designed for 2 to 4 people!

See what the rest of the group have to say? Rail!
Old 09-25-2018, 12:19 AM   #3

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck on your search and travels.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:26 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Keep in mind..
Your 1st coach is a learning tool..
When You tour/view "In Person" any perspective coach..
View it First with all slides retracted,
If the coach is fully usable without the slides extended, then give it a second look.
(Think wally-docking,rest areas,truckstops...any where that you cannot/do not have room for the slides to be extended)

BUY USED! & buy one with everything you "think" you want and will need..
As You will make mistakes and have booboo's We all have.....(sometimes more than twice..)
Within a year or two you will discover..about the RV

What you love about the RV...
What you can kinda-sorta tolerate with the RV..
And what you absolutely hate about that !@#$%^%$#@! RV.
Then you can go get what you should have gotten in the first place..
Happy Hunting
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 05:14 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jilly,

Look at PPL Motorhomes website. They have floor plans for all types of RV's. You can get an idea from there including costs.

Class A's tend to have the biggest storage areas called basement storage. Start making a list of what you absolutely need to take with you. Weight it and see what kind of weight you will be adding to the rig. Including all of you. This can make a difference in what rig you purchase.

With four people and all their stuff and living in it, an older Diesel rig might be best. Used is fine so just make sure to check it out really well or have an RV inspector inspect it for you.

Good luck!
beamisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome to the forum. Lots of good folks here.
You have been given some good advice so far.
First determine Class, size, $$$, new or used. Then visit multiple RV centers and look at various manufactures and build quality.
Even Rent a few for short trips
Good luck in your search and enjoy the adventure
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

You've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #8

ya know its probably just me, but what ya'll think about fishing eh??
Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

As with any home, the most important factor is how well it suits your living needs. Layout & space for your daily living, adequate bath facilities, a kitchen the works well for whatever cooking and serving you choose to do, a comfortable bedroom, etc. If you watch tv, size and location of the screen(s) and a comfortable viewing angle is a big deal. Readers and snoozers usually like a comfy recliner. Table space for meals, hobbies, computer, etc.

Don't let the WOW! factor overwhelm your cold-hearted judgment about size, layout and furnishings. Sit or lay in it as you would at home, stand in the shower and sit on the commode, etc. You will know when you find the right one.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:41 PM   #10

After 2 MHs and three TTs we made some good choices and one that was not so good. Make a list of what you must have and then what you really want and then what would like and most importantly what you don't want. Once you have a budget go to the local RV shows and look at what is available within your budget. Our first MH was used and we got a lot of use out of it but I did a lot of fixing, if you go that route have a someone do a good inspection before you buy. There are a couple of sites that have some reliability data on different makes and models that may be helpful.
Melvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #11

maybe I wasn't direct enough, eh?? read the post again. laughs are dozen per page. like been in rv a yr and wants 10 in next??
Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #12

I'm assuming the 10 others will have their own RV.

What's the amount you can spend on the RV? That makes a difference as to what kind of RV you should be looking for.

The RVs don't have technology. You have to supply your own telephone, internet service.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:04 PM   #13

Welcome to IRV2. Check out RV.org. They rate RVs and have the most complete information on the selection and buying process. Good RV hunting.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:13 PM   #14

As others have said, buy used, your first motorhome will likely be a learning tool, regardless of how much you search and study, there will be things that you learn that you like and hate only through experience, and often these may be things that never occurred to you to think about when you were shopping. Take cargo compartment doors as an example, what are your thoughts on top hinge vs side hinge, twist locks or slam locks? After living with them for a while you will have thoughts on them.

You mentioned something about Technology friendly, I am not really sure what that means, though many tech options are easily retrofitted, that is unless you are talking about bells and whistles stuff like color changing LED lights with centralized control panels, etc. Though the big problem with these sorts of systems is they become dated rather quickly, and after a few years replacement parts may be hard to find vs a standard light switch that fails can be easily replaced with parts from nearly any hardware store.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote