Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
grab a Coke from a galley and a paper towel and clean off the buildup. After seeing how well this works, I don't drink Coke anymore.

LOL. Even though I found your response funny, I, too, agree and have used coke in the past for stubborn water spots and the like. I then followup with Mequiars Synthetic Spray Wax and Love Love Love that for window cleaner. Use it on MH, the DW and my daily drivers and never have a problem. I always have a spray bottle mixed up and stowed in the MH for travel and one at home for our vehicles. Haven't used anything else for several years.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #30

Ah, another one that suggested Coke for glass (see post 19). I tried it and it works. I also tried acetone and it works, too....but Coke tastes better

Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I'm surprised that Coca Cola hasn't come up. Maybe not the best method out there but it sure took off dried up rain repellent that got squirted on dry aircraft windscreens. When far from the stock room and the oncoming pilots wrote up 'vision concerns', we would grab a Coke from a galley and a paper towel and clean off the buildup. After seeing how well this works, I don't drink Coke anymore.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Ah, another one that suggested Coke for glass (see post 19). I tried it and it works. I also tried acetone and it works, too....but Coke tastes better
Yep, I missed the whole paragraph...

RIP 'Squeaky'
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #32

Have used RainX for years with their wiper blades as well. Never a problem. I will also spray the front of the coach andf then removing bugs is a breeze
Old 10-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #33

Long time Rain-X fan. Usually apply two coats, then polish like wax after it dries and hazes also need to treat wiper blades, same way, two coats and polish.

Learned this method racing. I can attest it works well at 130 mph!

Interestingly, windshield guy would not try to repair a chip on a Rain-X treated windshield, said resin would not bond, and had not found anything that would remove it from cracks.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
The following system has worked excellently for me.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Why not? What's the down side ?
I think you will find that moisture beads up and does not evaporate as quickly when the drops are larger.

If you want to give it a try be my guest. Just offering my advice as I found it created problems.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #36

Who wants the water to evaporate that's what leaves mineral deposits on shower doors and will eventually etch the glass. Use rain x windshield wash in a spray bottle, spray the shower and the doors then squeegee it off the next time you use the shower just squeegee the water away clean shower and no water spots. I will agree not to use it on the inside of your windshield.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:53 PM   #37

I have no idea if this would work but years ago (many years ago in the early 1950's) we used a package of Bull Durham tabacco to remove road oils from windows. We'd be driving down the road and the road oil build up on the windshield was such you could hardly see out the windshield, especially at night during the rain. One of us would get out and rub the windshield with the tabacco pouch and the oil disappeared, at least for awhile and driving vision was improved.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
IMPORTANT. NEVER use regular Rain-X on interior glass or any glass that will not be exposed to the wind. Wind will blow the drops off that form on regular Rain-X.
OTOH, RainX will prevent the inside of a window from fogging-up in high humidity situations. Their utube video and website say not to use on INSIDE windows, doesn't mention the inside of the windshield. I emailed them for clarification on which windows and reasoning, will re-post reply. Applying "Rain-x" Windshield Treatment : Applying "Rain-X" Treatment To Windshields - YouTube
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 AM   #39

I chimed in earlier on this thread as an avid RaiinX supporter and still am.
Regarding Anti-Fog treatment - I used the RainX brand on the inside of my race car's windshield as well as the inside of my helmet's face shield. I went on to use it on my motorcycle helmets as well.. Until! A fellow racer taught me the secret. The anti-fog treatment is really nothing more than soap! That's right.. A few drops of Ivory dishwashing liquid soap rubbed in and polished off on the inside of the face shields and windshield accomplished the very same thing! Of course you need to have it very clean to begin with or you are just smearing soap and dirt around..
Works for me!
BTW I will go on to say that while my helmets and racecar did not have air conditioning or heaters with defrosters - my trucks and motorhomes do and I don't find the need to use these compounds on the interior sides of my glass..
YMMV..
Old 10-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf111 View Post
All I use is rain x windshield wash by itself it seems to work as well as the original rain x without all of the elbow grease to apply it and it never streaks. I also use it on shower doors and mirrors inside great product.

Us too. I very seldom use the wipers above 45 mph in heavy rain because the drops disperse so quick.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #41
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
OTOH, RainX will prevent the inside of a window from fogging-up in high humidity situations. Their utube video and website say not to use on INSIDE windows, doesn't mention the inside of the windshield. I emailed them for clarification on which windows and reasoning, will re-post reply. Applying "Rain-x" Windshield Treatment : Applying "Rain-X" Treatment To Windshields - YouTube
To clarify I said to not use "Rain-X" on the interior.
I would use "Rain-X Anti-Fog" on interior surfaces but this is a different product. Need to be clear on which product we are discussing.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #42

Here is the response from RainX: "Rain-X products with rain repellant in them are intended for exterior use only. The only product that can be used on the interior are Anti-Fog & the Automotive Glass Cleaner."
They do not state their reasoning; which I suspect is "RainX is overkill" for preventing fogging. I see Tireman9 and Big Foot's point, and I agree. Now I won't waste RainX on insides of windows, saving it for the outside instead.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote