Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-18-2014, 05:34 AM   #1

How to remove RAIN-X???

I have a film of Rain-X on the windshield and want to remove it, then re-apply more RainX prior to our trips.

Got a solid roadblock trying to use Windex, so what do you guys use that works?

Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2014, 05:41 AM   #2

I've always just applied more rainx over the old.....I don't think you have to strip it first.

pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
I have seen affects of what may be too much rainx. Windshield wipers juddering across the glass, and black lines left where the blades skip. Maybe dirt becoming embedded in the rainx film, or rubber deposits from the blades?

The stuff works very well for a while, but I stopped using it. Maybe just out of laziness...

Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I've always just applied more rainx over the old.....I don't think you have to strip it first.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:05 AM   #4
Fine steal wool!
homeless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I personally don't like RainX everytime I've tried it it always has made the wipers ineffective, I use a good set of wipers and forget the RainX, IMHO.
Terry and Eleanor
94 Softail / 92 FXR
79 32' AMF Skamper 5th Wheel Toy Hauler
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #6
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Fine steal wool!

Make sure the steel wool is marked "0000". This is Super Fine grade.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
You may try Rain x wiper blades. I have found that rubber blades tend to skip and chatter when used with Rain x. I believe that Rain x is a silicone based product and doesn't work well with rubber. Walmart sells Rain x blades.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
95 Newmar Kountry Star, Spartan Chassis, Venice, Fla
C-PHartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I contacted rainx a long time ago and they told me to use barkeeps friend or some other non abrasive cleaner. I bet the 0000 steel wool is your best bet. Do not use anything more abrasive.
Foothills of the Smokies
2005 Bounder 35E
JayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #9
Country Coach Owners Club
RainX isn't all it is cracked up to be. It is hard to put on and hard to take off.

You will get better results with Rejex.You can coat the whole coach, polished rims and all. I use it on the coach, all windows, the windshield, and even in the shower.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #10

Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
RainX isn't all it is cracked up to be. It is hard to put on and hard to take off.

You will get better results with Rejex.You can coat the whole coach, polished rims and all. I use it on the coach, all windows, the windshield, and even in the shower.
hmmm..I use Rejex on the coach but never thought to use it on the windows or other areas. I wonder if I should remove the RainX on the windshield before putting Rejex on it?
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
I removed (I believe) Rain-X with vinegar & water. It is lousy, smeary to look thru. I use Turtle Wax Ice synthetic car polish on our coach windows inside and out, counters, sinks, mirrors, and the face of the microwave, ref, oven, and the entire coach exterior including the rubber mouldings around the windows. It does not turn white on the rubber but you do have to rewipe the windows and mirrors a day or two later. Everytime I wash the coach or clean the windshield I reapply the Turtle Wax Ice. Wipers really aren't needed after an application as the rain drops run right off.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #12
Wink Rain X works if....

I've been using Rain X with excellent results for years, this does however require actually reading and following the instructions on the package. Recently replaced the original windshield wipers on our 2012 C with Rain X blades and they are the best I have ever used. As far as removing it, just keep driving as mine always disappears with time and mileage. I usually reapply about every three months.

2012 Nexus Phantom 23P Class C
Ford E-350 Chassis 6.8L V-10 w/5 speed trans w/tow haul mode, 55 gal fuel tank
USCG Licensed Master 100 Ton (Retired)
Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
Never had to remove Rain-X,wears off after a while.Good product use it all the time,good for shower doors also.
2011 Montana-3400RL
Towed by[B]'99 F-350 SD PSD DRW Lariat
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
Commercial Member
I have used Rain-X for many years on my street cars and race cars. Find it makes removal of ice in Winter much easier too. Bug splat also comes off very easy too.
The haze you get when first applied can easily be removed with a squirt of water.
Have never found I need to remove it just re-apply once every few weeks or couple of months.

The windshield does need to be real clean when you first install it. Whenever I refresh the Rain-x on the glass I end with giving the ww blades a simple wipe with the application paper towel. This removes the oxidized rubber and leaves a nice thin coat on the blades.

I have found that when properly applied I almost never need the wipers as the window stays cleaner as the water quickly blows off. The more water as when passing a truck, the faster the windshield clears. Sometimes even faster than using the wiper.

Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote