Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 01:15 AM   #1

How to share expenses ??

I have an RV and a friend wants to travel with me, what in your opinion is fair as far as sharing expenses ?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukiman View Post
I have an RV and a friend wants to travel with me, what in your opinion is fair as far as sharing expenses ?
Thanks
I would say he/she should pay 1/2 for the gas and 1/2 for the groceries. That's what I did back in the day when going camping with friends. If there were three of us, each paid 1/3.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
I would agree for the 1/2 & 1/2 if he's a close friend that will eventually invite you over somehwere sometime; if it is a trip that is scheduled for both of you, he should pay the gas and 1/2 for the maintenance and 1/2 of the groceries; don't forget that you are providing him a house on wheels without any renting cost !
Old 08-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

From back in my boating days, if I was going out anyway, then a friend could bring beer and groceries, but fuel was on me because I'd be using it anyway.
If somebody ever asked to go somewhere by boat (my boat) then I'd expect them to pony up with fuel costs.

It's up to you to either let them offer, or tell them up-front. IMO, if your friend doesn't bring up a cost-sharing plan, then think real hard about whether you'll be seeing much compensation.

Now, if that friend is fine-looking, likes to cook and keep the coach tidy, and might even like to share the driving, then forget all my ideas about payment, since her company might be worth more than the money
Old 08-04-2015, 04:02 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
From back in my boating days, if I was going out anyway, then a friend could bring beer and groceries, but fuel was on me because I'd be using it anyway.
If somebody ever asked to go somewhere by boat (my boat) then I'd expect them to pony up with fuel costs.

It's up to you to either let them offer, or tell them up-front. IMO, if your friend doesn't bring up a cost-sharing plan, then think real hard about whether you'll be seeing much compensation.

Now, if that friend is fine-looking, likes to cook and keep the coach tidy, and might even like to share the driving, then forget all my ideas about payment, since her company might be worth more than the money
Bama... I totally agree with your last sentence !
Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #6

When I was a college student and I was the only one with a reliable car, friends and I would share expenses equally on trips. Each of us would put $20 in an envelope (things were cheaper in 1965) and pay for gas and groceries from that. When the envelope ran out of money, we would each put in another $20. That way we didn’t have any calculating or “discussions” about who paid for what last time.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

My first thought to this situation was how good of a friend is this?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
My first thought to this situation was how good of a friend is this?

And how good a friend will this person be when you come home?

Spending extended periods of time in the strict confines of an RV can be a daunting task sometimes.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My deal would be friend pays fuel, you are paying all other transportation costs, and friend pays campground fees, you are providing house. All other expenses, you each pay your own. Hopefully they say HELL NO.
Old 08-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #10

If it's a trip you were taking anyway, I'd say 50/50 is the way to go since you'd be going anyway. I like the envelope idea. I've done this before, and it really does make it simpler.

If you're taking them on a trip that they want to go on, then I think some wear and tear on the RV and tires should be factored in with them possibly paying more for fuel to compensate...say 60/40 or 70/30.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:15 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We haven't had our coach very long (roughly 4 months) - so most of our travels have been just my DW and I. I did manage to sneak in a "guys weekend" with 3 buddies. We split the weekend expenses (fuel, camping fees, groceries, and booze) down the middle. While I understand that my "donation" of the use of our coach has value ... I wouldn't have considered being compensated for it, either directly or indirectly (i.e., by not paying for my share of the weekend's out of pocket expenses).
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #12

50/50 for out of pocket expenses always works for me. As for being compensated for the rv that I wouldn't worry about, having someone there to share the ride is compensation enough.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
When sharing a trip we would throw $$$$ on the dash for all expenses, when gone throw more up on the dash again. Then we would usually kick in some extra for the owner, but that was optional. Now depending on the share, if "just a friend or a friend with benefits" that is a totally different question. And we're you going anyway an kicking in would be of help. Only you can answer some of these questions.

LEN
Old 08-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Actually Len his insurance agent/company can answer one very important question - "at what point does expense reimbursement become a commercial venture?" Requiring commercial coverage or at least voiding normal coverage???

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote