Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

How to store at home?

We have a 36' Class A that we keep on a pad in our yard. It's in Florida and it's the hot rainy time. We've only had it since June.

I have 15amp power and water available where I store it.

At first we thought it'd be good to keep the air set on 80 when we're not using it, just one of the units. It seemed to run an awful lot so I thought we'd try venting. I opened all three vents and turned them on low. I then realized this sort of put the unit in a vacuum with no real way to get air in. I then ran two vents and opened a third to allow some air to circulate.

It's been parked for 2 weeks and we went in yesterday to start getting ready for a trip and found very light mildew on a lot of the surfaces. DW is now concerned as am I. I'm no longer going to draw in air and we plan to keep the air set to 80° and add some damprid (we had none). We always leave the refrigerator doors open when we come home but even there was a little mildew on some of the surfaces.

Any advice from someone with more experience? We try to use the rig every two-three weeks. We are still shopping for covered building to store it in.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #2

If storing in a high humidity environment with only 15 am service I would buy a small dehumidifier for inside the coach. Set it on the counter to drain directly into the sink, open gray valve.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

If you are going to intend on storing your RV in Florida it would be to your benefit to invest in a minimum of a 30 amp service to keep an A/C running. Purchase from HD or Lowes, insulated aluminum for all windows . Once you mold your investment just took a potty.
Running an A/C on 82 will remove the humidity and the cost is minimal.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:38 PM   #4

We have always kept all of ours plugged in with the AC on 75 and the refrigerator on. MH, TT, 5'ver all of them. We keep them under a cover on a slab. My neighbor has a Class A and does the same, always has. Now that's just us and we are fortunate enough to have a place on our property to stow it. But there are thousands of TT, MH and 5'ers that are stowed out in the open all over the country and are just fine. If it was built with quality material and well constructed you will have less trouble than if not. If it was me and I could not plug in, I would open it up when I park it so the moisture inside acclimates, then close it up. If there's mildew it has to have moisture.
KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 PM   #5

In Tampa area, covered storage is surprisingly less than abundant.
Try big toy storage on 301, or if you want to go to St Pete there is one there.
Cost about $240.00 per month but has cover, electric, dump station etc. included.
I keep a dehumidifier in my rig, and all keeps well without running the AC, but I run the AC about once every 2 weeks just because...
Pacakazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:29 PM   #6

Good input already guys! Let me clarify...we are shopping RV carports, not storage places. Sounds like covering and running the AC is the norm. I have to check dehumidifier current draw vs A/C.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would close up the coach and run a dehumidifier to keep the interior air dry. Keep the blinds closed and even consider reflective insulation between the blinds and the glass. The coach is going to get hot as in the high 90's up to maybe even mid 100's but it will survive. Keeps mice from moving in if the temps are too high. Better to wait until maybe a few hour priors to departure or once you load up the fridge or dry food items before powering up the AC to cool the coach down. Save a bit on the power bill.

Put the dehumidifier in the shower without the drain pan and just let it drain into the gray tank. Crack the dump valve and let the water drain on the ground. Shouldn't be much water that will evaporate quick enough to not make much of a puddle.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here in SoCal we don't have the humidity issue but do have hot summers. In the hottest times I will turn on one air conditioner. I have a 30a service at my DG parking pad. I plan to have a RV carport up by EOY.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Cover the inside of windows with aluminum foil, or something that will NOT allow sunlight into the RV. While wintering in FL one year we decided to go looking for a new 5er. One dealership in N. Ft. Myers had a left-over two years old already. When the salesman opened the door DW and I were shocked at the appearance. Sunlight had rotted everything it shined on, sofa was in shreds, maple kitchen table was broken (vs cracked) right down the middle, carpet was bleached to a light grayish brown, curtains were hanging in shreds-bleached to a light yellow, etc.

The aluminum foil will keep sunlight out and help with reducing your cooling bill.

Inflate all tires on the ground to sidewall listed pressure + 10#; OR, raise the RV off the ground once a month with the jacks(or drive) to turn tires and reduce stress on sidewalls in the same place; this should only be done one end at a time so you may block the tires on the ground for safety. If you choose to drive your MH, do so for at least 20 minutes to insure it reaches full operating temperature, otherwise it's best to not start the engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
If storing in a high humidity environment with only 15 am service I would buy a small dehumidifier for inside the coach. Set it on the counter to drain directly into the sink, open gray valve.
Looking into this now, do you think a 30 pint unit will suffice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
If you are going to intend on storing your RV in Florida it would be to your benefit to invest in a minimum of a 30 amp service to keep an A/C running. Purchase from HD or Lowes, insulated aluminum for all windows . Once you mold your investment just took a potty.
Running an A/C on 82 will remove the humidity and the cost is minimal.
We ran it on 80 just yesterday and got like 5 inches of rain. The a/c never tripped on but it was humid in there. I think we need to go dehumidifier route cause it sounds like heat isn't the enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
We have always kept all of ours plugged in with the AC on 75 and the refrigerator on. MH, TT, 5'ver all of them. We keep them under a cover on a slab. My neighbor has a Class A and does the same, always has. Now that's just us and we are fortunate enough to have a place on our property to stow it. But there are thousands of TT, MH and 5'ers that are stowed out in the open all over the country and are just fine. If it was built with quality material and well constructed you will have less trouble than if not. If it was me and I could not plug in, I would open it up when I park it so the moisture inside acclimates, then close it up. If there's mildew it has to have moisture.
You are lucky! We are already cooling a house and a barn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I would close up the coach and run a dehumidifier to keep the interior air dry. Keep the blinds closed and even consider reflective insulation between the blinds and the glass. The coach is going to get hot as in the high 90's up to maybe even mid 100's but it will survive. Keeps mice from moving in if the temps are too high. Better to wait until maybe a few hour priors to departure or once you load up the fridge or dry food items before powering up the AC to cool the coach down. Save a bit on the power bill.

Put the dehumidifier in the shower without the drain pan and just let it drain into the gray tank. Crack the dump valve and let the water drain on the ground. Shouldn't be much water that will evaporate quick enough to not make much of a puddle.
This sounds good...but will it keep the moisture from the front of the coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Cover the inside of windows with aluminum foil, or something that will NOT allow sunlight into the RV. While wintering in FL one year we decided to go looking for a new 5er. One dealership in N. Ft. Myers had a left-over two years old already. When the salesman opened the door DW and I were shocked at the appearance. Sunlight had rotted everything it shined on, sofa was in shreds, maple kitchen table was broken (vs cracked) right down the middle, carpet was bleached to a light grayish brown, curtains were hanging in shreds-bleached to a light yellow, etc.

The aluminum foil will keep sunlight out and help with reducing your cooling bill.

Inflate all tires on the ground to sidewall listed pressure + 10#; OR, raise the RV off the ground once a month with the jacks(or drive) to turn tires and reduce stress on sidewalls in the same place; this should only be done one end at a time so you may block the tires on the ground for safety. If you choose to drive your MH, do so for at least 20 minutes to insure it reaches full operating temperature, otherwise it's best to not start the engine.
Good advice!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #11

Carolina Carports.... Carolina Carports - Homepage
MANY of the dealers in the area sell these. They're great. Make sure whoever you buy from pulls the permit. Some will try to talk you into either doing that on your own, or going "owner erected". Both bad plans. Could go further but wandering off topic.

Once you get your carport, betting you'll find you can set the A/C and it won't run nearly as much. Best of luck.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #12

Rather than aluminum foil buy a roll of reflectix at Home Depot or Lowes. It's the stuff that looks like silver bubble wrap. It gives your the reflectivity plus some insulation and is stiff enough to just slide under blinds and stay in place by itself. Roll it up when not using it. We leave some in place in places where we do not need or want folks looking in or sunlight.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #13

I live in Orlando so I have a similar hot, humid storage environment. I currently have a 35' class A, but have had other class As and travel trailers over the years. I keep my unit in an open lot, uncovered with no power available. I leave the refrigerator doors open, close all the windows and blinds. It sure gets hot inside, but have never had any mold or mildew. If I had powered, covered storage I'd Erin my dehumidifier inside with a drain hose to the outside. But I don't currently have that operation and the only problem I've had recently is that mice had gotten in from the field near the storage lot.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:28 AM   #14

Close up, do not vent, use reflective material on the windows to keep out as much sunlight as possible, and use either your A/C or a dehumidifier.

Once the air inside has been dried, it will stay dry as long as you don't change the air, as in venting.

As mentioned above, keep the sun out as much as possible so you don't cook your interior.

We keep our frig running but you may not need to do this if you don't store anything perishable in it. But do keep it open if you don't run it.

Your A/C or a dehumidifier will do just fine to keep the moisture out and no mold will grow as long as you keep it dry this way.
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote