Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #1

How to tell the correct year of a Class C

Ok I am a lillte confused at the moment. And I believed I Just purchased a 2006 Fleetwood Jamboree last week. But when getting it home. my wife was looking through all the manuals and they are all 2005. My neighbor who is a car dealer came over and looked at the Vin numbers and it was made 1/2005. all the manuals in the RV say 2005 including the Fleetwood manual. I did not look at the Title they gave me to bring to the DMV I am not sure it says 2005 or 2006. I did car carfax on it ant it says it was first tilted 5-23-2005 in Florida. When confronting the dealer he told me that RV manufactures Model years are the years they put the RV on the chassis> All my paperwork from the dealer says it is a 2006 and that is what I believed I purchased. Is the dealer pulling a fast one? Any help knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated.. I am kicking myself for not doing a carfax before.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Totally normal.

The engine and chassis are ordered from the manufacturer in the year prior to the build of the "house", so your engine is actually a 2005 model, while the rest of the RV was constructed in 2006.

Nothing nefarious going on- all motor homes are like this. Just something to be aware of when you order engine or chassis parts.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
All motorhomes actually have two build dates. The first is the chassis manufacturers and the second, and that used to identify the year, is that of the body builder. We have a 2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M, and the chassis is a Ford with a 2004 build date.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk View Post
All motorhomes actually have two build dates. The first is the chassis manufacturers and the second, and that used to identify the year, is that of the body builder. We have a 2005 Fleetwood Jamboree 31M, and the chassis is a Ford with a 2004 build date.
So How do identify the the year the body was built in?
Old 03-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #5

By the way. man, you guys are fast....
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #6

This RVIA Q&A sheet may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Q&As on Split Model Year Motorhomes.pdf (31.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassoneman View Post
So How do identify the the year the body was built in?
The body is always built ON TOP of the pre-existing chassis, so the body (house) will always have the younger date.

If your unit is sold and titled as a 2006, 2006 is the year the body was built and the unit completed. The chassis (engine) will have the prior years date.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Titling RV upon Model Year of RV, Not the chassis.
"Please be advised that the practice of titling recreational vehicles based on the year of the manufacture of the coach and not the chassis was confirmed by resolution of the American Association of Motor Vehicle administrators in 1979. resolution 18c, 19c and 20 of the AAMVA apply."

It is important to note that in a two-stage manufacturing process the model year is not obtained from the chassis VIn but from the Final Stage (coach) Manufacturer's Certificate of Orgin (MCO). Model year is defined in chapter V, part 571 of the national highway Trasffic Safety Administration's Federal Vehicle Safety standard (Federal ResRegister Volume 44 No. 57 Thursday, March 22, 1979). "Model Year means the year used to designate a discrete vehicle model irrespective of the calendar year in which the vehicle was actually produced so long as the actual period is less than 2 years."

The Federal trade commision reconized the fact that the model year of a motor home is assigned by the Final Stage (Coach) manufacturer in May 1979 (Federal Register Volume 44 No. 103 friday, May 25, 1979; 16 CFR Part 14). In that document the federal trade commision requires Final Stage (coach) manufacturers to designate the model year of a vehicle. It stated that "manufacturers of chassis or incomplete vehicles sold to motor home or recreational vehicle manufactures who issue a seperate certificate of orgin need not assign model years to these vehicles." Hopefully this clears up the confusion about chassis and model year titling. ed
Old 03-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
This RVIA Q&A sheet may help.

Thank you. I am now at ease... I really liked the dealer. (owner) He really seemed like an honest guy. I love the RV..
Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bear in mind that the RV year quite often starts really, really early. The 2013s are starting to hit the market now. Buying a 2006 in May of 2005 would be normal in many cases. The manufacturers usually stagger the "new model year" throughout their different models. For example, in the Tiffins the 2013 Phaeton will probably be out 1 or 2 months before the 2013 Allegro Buses are available. Lazy Days already has 4 2013 Zephyrs listed for sale.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #11

Our Class C is a 2004 and the chassis was made in 05/2003. Ford calls it a 2003 so that's what we go by when needing parts or service.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
My Chalet chassis is a 2007, CARFAX reports that the Chalet is a 2008, and the dealer listed and sold the Chalet to me as a 2009.

CARFAX reports that the first owner purchased and titled the Chalet in 2008 and drove 14,375 miles. The vin # indicates that the Chalet is a 2008.

So, instead of averaging the miles on the odometer based on 2008, the miles driven would be averaged on the year 2009. The 66,500 miles based on 2008 purchase equals 16625 a year. The 66,500 miles based on 2009 equals 22,166.

I found this all very confusing, and I may still be confused, but it is what it is, I think.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The year that counts is the one on the title.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #14

This is a little thing that you won't hear most places. The model year of a vehicle (or chassis) is almost arbitrary and chosen by the vehicle manufacturer. The calendar date has only marginal influence.

In the case of a motorhome (any class), there are actually three.
1 - The model year of the chassis according to manufacturer is important when doing services or buying repair parts.
2 - The build date of the coach may matter when looking for repair parts for specific components.
3 - The title date is the only one that matters to the registration, but it also may matter if regulations are involved (like smog checks and safety items) as these can change from year to year.

Matt