Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2004, 05:14 AM   #1

Hi again -

Haven't even taken our first trip yet and I think our used 1993 Cobra has a leak somewhere.

I began cleaning it yesterday and noticed some brown "dribble" in the bathroom on the toilet, shower and wall. There is a vent with a fan in there.

This morning I began cleaning again, and noticed there was more brown liquid in the light fixture just outside the bathroom.

How can one tell where a leak is coming from?

The previous owner told us roof leaks were common. Is this the case?

Thank you
begete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2004, 05:14 AM   #2

Hi again -

Haven't even taken our first trip yet and I think our used 1993 Cobra has a leak somewhere.

I began cleaning it yesterday and noticed some brown "dribble" in the bathroom on the toilet, shower and wall. There is a vent with a fan in there.

This morning I began cleaning again, and noticed there was more brown liquid in the light fixture just outside the bathroom.

How can one tell where a leak is coming from?

The previous owner told us roof leaks were common. Is this the case?

Thank you
Old 09-03-2004, 05:33 AM   #3

Hi Bee: I do not know if roof leaks are "common" I have had only 1 in 12 yrs of MHing. I do know it can be very hard to find the source of the leak sometimes. Water can enter and travel great distances before leaking into the MH. I had a leak coming in the rear view mirror, but the entry point of the water was where the awning attached to the side of the MH ??? I could not find it, spent several days with no luck, my dealer found it and fixed it. Maybe you will be luckier but it can be a challenge to find it. Check all roof seams and seams around vents, A/C, TV attenna, anywhere equipment is on the roof, Good luck
Old 09-03-2004, 08:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaks are not uncommom, especially as a unit gets older. You need to be checking all seams and joints 2 times per year. Get some of the correct sealant and clean and reseal any area that looks suspecious.

Leraks can sometimes be hard to find because it can leak in at one location and travel along a beam or wire and drip out several feet away.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:45 AM   #5

Thanx guys, but when you check the seams, what exactly are you looking for? Do they split? Not sure what to check.

Thank you
Old 09-03-2004, 10:11 AM   #6

They will be cracked and/or pulled away from an edge. Once you replace/repair all damaged caulking and if you still have leaks, some dealers have equipment to pressurize the coach to find hard to find leaks. Call around.
LarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #7

Bee if your hubby is handy ask him to take the fan cover off. I assume their is a couple of screws that hold it one. Check the wood around the ceiling/hole where the fan was. If you see the wood is wet or has been wet (discolored) that is where your leak is. If you can't do it wait til next weekend & we'll help. By the way, you better have cold drinks for us who help

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:28 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> By the way, you better have cold drinks for us who help <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet!! and for you and your DH, caffeine free diet coke

b
Old 09-04-2004, 10:07 AM   #9

One very common water leak is the Air Conditioner on the roof. They are mounted on thick gaskets that shrink over time and fail to seal as well as new. If you remove the inside AC cover, you will see that it is probably held down with 4 J bolts. Tighten them a little bit and it might solve your problem. Water getting into your roof can migrate an astonishing distance before seeping out.

Good Luck - Darrel
Old 09-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If all else fails, find a dealer that can run a pressure test. They can usually find the leak.

First though, I would try the suggestions you got from the other posters.

Clay
Old 09-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #11

Thanx everyone.

I printed out all of your replies for husband. Friday night we went to dealer and bought the sealer they recommended for roof leaks and mineral spirits for taking old caulk out.

Today just as Hubby and I were crawling around on the roof, a friend who has had several motorhomes and boats and her husband stpped by on their way home from church. Poor Bob. He felt compelled to take a look, himself, so up he went, church clothes and all, and showed John all the places that needed to be done.
Wasn't that fortuitous? We really didn't know what we were looking at.

So that what we did today. We still haven't done the front of the motorhome, so if it still leaks, we will have to do that. Really appreciated all the advice. Thank you.

I have another question. We found the pilot light that must be lit for the water heater to work. Our refrigerator can run either on electricity or propane. Does the pilot light have to be lit for thr refrigerator to run on propane? We don't see a separate pilot light for the refrigerator.

Thanx in advance for aany replies.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:40 AM   #12

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
As for the roof leak, do you have an aluminum or a rubber roof? I had a pop up several years ago with an aluminum roof. The seam down the middle began to leak near the front, and found water in the light fixtures at the front and rear of the unit. So yes water will travel long distances. Like everyone said, check all seals around A/C, roof vents, plumbing vents, and the fridge vent. Check all your seams at the edge of the roof as well.

As for the fridge, I have a newer unit and it has an electronic igniter. Try setting it on propane and listen for a clicking sound. if you hear that it has electronic ignition. If not, look in the outside door near the burner for a pilot light. If you still can't figure it out, like Allegro Happy said, we will be more than happy to help you out next weekend.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:00 PM   #13

Dirty little secret, and, admittedly, it may not work, but it's worth a shot.

Fill your water tank as usual, then add about ten packets of kool-ade and mix it up. Any leaks will stand out like a flare if it's a supply leak. As you have brown water, I doubt that's the problem, but hey, it may be. You're cleanup job isn't super critical since kool-ade isn't toxic.
Big Ugly Mich is offline   Reply With Quote