Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #15

This why we have two campers! Granted, they are on seasonal campsites but we call the second camper our "guest quarters." We absolutely enjoy having friends and family join us camping, but we want our own space at night and in the morning. My parents turn the TV on as soon as they wake up and it's the last thing turned off before they go to bed and I go days for a time without turning the TV on, for example. Not a good mix...

rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have always been dumbfounded when inviting guests that in turn invite guests or bring along pets.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #17

Staying in a rig with your teenage daughters(who you expect to follow your reasonable requests) is NOT going to be the same as with your father and his new to you girlfriend (who expect you to follow his maybe reasonable requests).

Your husband who is making the best of a bad situation is expecting to drive 10 hours per day (Probably to get it over with) will be sleeping on the floor on an air mattress, and you want to "make the best of it"? There IS no best.

If your father wants to experience the "REAL" RV experience, this is not the time or the situation. Better you suggest that he rent an RV and follow along. I know. Your husband is not going to get to drive 10 hours. My suggestion is that he shouldn't be driving that long in the first place.

Give him the option.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
thats hard . have to give up bed room.when we went to ak my sister invited her self.i told her she needs to sleep for 90 days on the fold down couch.and how much money she would need she didn't go.i watch what i say know when people ask me how many does it sleep i say 2.
safe travles bob,linda & missy
Old 01-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #19
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry, but if it were me, Dad wouldn't be going...or he would be going by himself. There is no way that is going to be an enjoyable trip. If I was your husband, I would be steaming. Best of luck.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #20

In my very humble opinion, I say that you should enjoy your dad while you can. Embrace his new friend, because companionship is precious, and for whatever reason your dad has chosen this person, honor that.

You'll have a bit of added stress, but hey, it's only for a few days, and it'll be a memory...Enjoy the time, and don't let the naysayers sway you. You father is probably really looking forward to the trip.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Reading your post said first with out kids only two grownup ones, may have you at disadvantage because we have a bath & 1/2 coach so easy for us to deside they get rear bedroom with full bath and we are up front.
I like your husband get up early maybe hit the road everyone sleeping to get jump on traffic, just let guess know.
Had traveled with many kids from P.E.I. to FL. never had a problem because we liked the company, now miss it.
So enjoy "may never happen again" as time grows short, as time moves on.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #22
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
In my very humble opinion, I say that you should enjoy your dad while you can. Embrace his new friend, because companionship is precious, and for whatever reason your dad has chosen this person, honor that.

You'll have a bit of added stress, but hey, it's only for a few days, and it'll be a memory...Enjoy the time, and don't let the naysayers sway you. You father is probably really looking forward to the trip.
Excellent advice John! I fully agree with you.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:11 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamatha View Post
So our plan is to give up our bedroom to my Dad and his friend and my husband and I will sleep on an Aerobed, on the floor, in the living room. I am trying to convince my husband to only spend about 6 hours/day on the road vs. the 10 hour he's lobbing for, so that should be about 2 days on the road before we get to Nashville and stay for the week. I suggested to my Dad that he might want to get his own cabin once we got to Nashville, but he didn't seem interested, he wants the full RV experience.
My first advice is to get to know the girlfriend at least well enough to get an idea as to how well you're going to travel together. Even just having them over for dinner would tell you a lot!

After that:

If driving 10 hours a day will get you there only having spent one night on the floor of your own rig, I'm with hubby.

And:

Since Dad won't take the hint about getting his own cabin, you might consider doing so yourself for the time in Nashville when Dad/girlfriend are with you. Dad pays RV space rent, of course...

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Steve and Tami,

It is a one time inconvenience of very short duration. You must have thought that your Dad along would be a fun thing, and then the uninvited guest. Make the most of it. Have fun. Do not dwell on the negatives. Remember all the things he has given you throughout his life.

Take the trip. Avoid confrontation whenever possible. If a subject comes up that you do not care to participate in, state so at the time. It's not necessary to put everyone on pins and needles ahead of time. Yes, share the intricacies of the motorhome systems but don't make a big production out of it. All can be salvaged.

It is all to soon and then they are gone.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #25

Father please forgive her, for she knows not what she is doing !
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #26

Overland Owners Club
Wink Traveling with guests

I agree with most of what is said above, especially "enjoy your Dad while you can," and "it's only for a few days." Without knowing what your history with your Dad is, he isn't going to be around for ever, and don't regret that you didn't take this opportunity----what ever the imagined cost. One thing I would add is what we have found out on our annual houseboat vacations at Lake Powell: many people need some of their own time and space every day. Even though it is family and/or very close friends, some people just get tired of being inundated with things (conversation, questions, etc.) all the time. Take a walk, resist the temptation to be together every minute, get your own cabin in Nashville, and so forth. Enjoy!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can always cancel the trip and reschedule it when you do not have a moment of weakness. It could be a fun trip, but from your comments, I doubt if you will have fun.

Or you could just tell Dad that you had not intended that he invite his girl friend. You were looking to spending time with him, not an additional guest. Maybe he could invite his friend some other time.

Ken
Old 01-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
For all you folks advising "enjoy your time with your Dad" etc...

Of course you're right and the O.P. knows it- that's why she impulsively invited him along!

However, and in her defense, I think that she did not foresee that he'd want to bring a "friend"- that certainly puts a different color on a situation that she may well have hoped would allow her to have only to share him with her husband.

I'm sure they'll work it out just fine...

Tags
travel