RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How to winterize your awning!?

So, I haven't read much about awning winterizing. Really, what can you do other than nothing? lol. At the end of the season I cover my trailer as I'm sure many of you do and in the spring we uncover everything and clean what needs to be cleaned. So my grief is, every time I unroll the awning, and it tends to be wet in my part of the world over the winter, it seems to have a fair bit of moisture or water caught inside which in turn causes some unnecessary mold and mildew to build up. What do you guys do out there to avoid this or at least minimize the scrubbing in the spring?! Is there a trick or end covers that can be installed. Should I move?.. Underside awning scrubbing has to be one of the more difficult jobs to do in my opinion. Working over your head, getting wet and dirty....

jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
So, I haven't read much about awning winterizing. Really, what can you do other than nothing? lol. At the end of the season I cover my trailer as I'm sure many of you do and in the spring we uncover everything and clean what needs to be cleaned. So my grief is, every time I unroll the awning, and it tends to be wet in my part of the world over the winter, it seems to have a fair bit of moisture or water caught inside which in turn causes some unnecessary mold and mildew to build up. What do you guys do out there to avoid this or at least minimize the scrubbing in the spring?! Is there a trick or end covers that can be installed. Should I move?.. Underside awning scrubbing has to be one of the more difficult jobs to do in my opinion. Working over your head, getting wet and dirty....
What is your awning made of. If its a plastic or vinyl, you can spray the underside heavy and roll it up as you are spraying from the bottom up. Leave it rolled up for 20 minutes. Unroll and hose off. Mine came spotless. Can't do that on my Tiffin. It has a cloth awning and will bleach it.

Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

We've always just made sure the awning is clean and dry before storing.
Sounds like it needs a cover of some sort...or an awning for your awning.
Moisture is always a problem in the PNW. Sunbrella material seems to be fairly mildew resistant, but anything rolled up wet is going to have issues.
Maybe look into the aluminum shielded fabric replacements?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #4

Our awning had a metal covering on it which automatically covered the vinyl once rolled up. It kept the awning dry. I don't recall if this is something that came with the awning or something you can buy after market.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #5

Maybe you can try this 4" diameter flexible drain pipe. Rip it lengthwise and fit it over the rolled up awning.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-1...0010/100212428
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:55 PM   #6

Check out Concrobium Mold Control, if it suits you for preventing mold/mildew on your awning during storage. You would need to wash N dry it first.
Another suggestion, store your RV with one end high enough to promote water drainage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:02 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes I got all your guys responses. I do cover my trailer in the winter with an Adco cover. It does help a lot. I also clean my vinyl awning every spring. Actually, I try and scrub it a couple times throughout the season. When I put it away this fall I tried to shrink wrap one end to see if I can keep the water out. Trailer has a slope to the rear so I covered the front. Best thing I could think of for now...
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Since you are covering the trailer, where is the wetness coming from? Maybe just condensation? If so, not much to do except wash it in the spring.

In my experience, the metal weathershields don't keep water out when the awning is rolled up. The metal slats seep a bit at the joints, plus the ends are open. They mostly serve as protection from debris, sun exposure, accumulated leaves, etc.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #9

Mix up a solution of bleach water, 1/4 cup per gallon. Spray it on the awning, roll it up, and give it a half hour. Unroll and hose it off. Stubborn spots may require a bit of scrubbing, but this is the easiest way I have found, and it works.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #10

I usually store my rv inside a barn for the winter if I am not going south. I dry the awning before it goes into the barn. Other than that, there is no way that I know of to keep the water out of them. The metal covers do not keep them dry. In my experience, nine times out of ten, when you open the awning, it will be somewhat wet. Maybe if you live in the desert it would be different, but not where I live. It has never really caused any trouble. In two travel trailers, and two class As, I have never had a mold problem with any of my awnings, even though they are almost always wet when you put them out.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
IC2

Usually a wash, dry, then spray with 303 Protectant then retract it for the winter. Unfortunately a wet November and after 2 feet of early snow, that didn't happen this year.

Tags
awning, winter, winterize