Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #1

How to wire inverter to power all plugs 2000 Discovery

I have a 2000 discovery and I was wondering if there is a easy way to wire up my inverter so it will power all the 120 volt outlets only right now it only powers the tv and microwave outlets would be nice to have all plugs powerd for convinance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several ways to do this.

The simplest IMHO is to use an extension cord of the correct gauge for the max output of the inverter (a regular cord - not a dog bone or similar/unsafe double ended cord).

Run that cord from an open plug on the inverter to the shore power cord...plug the shore power cord into the extension cord (adapter as needed) and Viola', whole house inverter power.

Disclaimer:
You need to turn off the converter/charger to prevent the "loop of death" pulling battery power to charge the battery (that will kill the batteries pretty quickly) and ensure nobody turns on the aircon.

We have done this and it works perfectly...there is no need for a transfer switch because you must unplug the shore power cord to use it at a campground.

Safe travels and best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best way is to install a sub panel. I did it this way. I installed another circuit breaker panel next to my main panel. I moved all of my "house" circuit breakers to it with a few exceptions. In the main panel, I left both A/C breakers and Fridge and electric hot water heater and installed a 30 amp breaker to feed my sub panel and inverter.

In my subpanel I have all of my outlets in my house, TV, Bedroom,Bathroom, Outside utility,kitchen, sofa and even my Microwave.

Since I have 50 amp service, and have 2, 120 volt lines coming in, I am able to "balance" the loads. My microwave is on a circuit by itself, however I did add a high current outlet for an electric heater on the same circuit.

Since I have a lot of solar panels to recharge my batteries, I can be on metered shore power, and turn off the breaker to the inverter and operate my "house" on batteries, while still have AC power to power my A/C's. I can save a few dollars doing this.

Here is some good reading. Jack is mostly talking about solar installations and inverter installations, and near the end of the article he discusses sub panels and splitting panels.

Last updated
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:37 AM   #4

What brand and model number is your inverter? How many watts? Is it just an inverter or does it have a convertor too? Batteries are important too.

It can be quite complex so be careful because 110 will kill you.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
My shore power panel and my inverter power panel are side-by-side in my coach, so this change was pretty easy. I only had one circuit to move, so I simply added a new circuit breaker to the inverter power panel and disconnected the wires from the circuit breaker in the shore power panel for that circuit. I rerouted the wire from one breaker panel to the other breaker panel and that was it.

Later, I added a circuit to the shore power panel for a front-of-coach portable electric heater, so that abandoned circuit breaker ended up getting used.

\ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

This can be simple or hard, depending on how good you are at remembering to do manual steps like turning of the battery charger, switching the fridge to LP mode, and making sure the a/c is off. Cause if you don't, your batteries will go downhill in a big hurry.

Your expectations also come into play, i.e. just what you expect to run via these other outlets. Your existing inverter probably can't supply anywhere near enough watts (or amps) to supply the things you typically run from other outlets. A 300-400 watt inverter that is plenty for tv & DVD will fall well short if you try to run much of anything else. You probably want 1000-2000 watt inverter to operate other devices, and that may also mean more/larger batteries to supply the power.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
A 2000 D has a 30 AMP service with a Freedom 1000w inverter/charger unless it has the optional 2000W one. And OEM had 2 house batteries with 218 AMP hr.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How to wire inverter to power all plugs 2000 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
There are several ways to do this.

The simplest IMHO is to use an extension cord of the correct gauge for the max output of the inverter (a regular cord - not a dog bone or similar/unsafe double ended cord).

Run that cord from an open plug on the inverter to the shore power cord...plug the shore power cord into the extension cord (adapter as needed) and Viola', whole house inverter power.

Disclaimer:
You need to turn off the converter/charger to prevent the "loop of death" pulling battery power to charge the battery (that will kill the batteries pretty quickly) and ensure nobody turns on the aircon.

We have done this and it works perfectly...there is no need for a transfer switch because you must unplug the shore power cord to use it at a campground.

Safe travels and best luck

This is how I have my coach setup. Requires a bit of manual power management management, which is not a biggie.

Additionally I have multiple smaller point of use inverters. These are the most often used as being more efficient.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A 2000 D has a 30 AMP service with a Freedom 1000w inverter/charger unless it has the optional 2000W one. And OEM had 2 house batteries with 218 AMP hr.
I see that now in the Discovery brochure, though many Discovery's had the 50A and other upgrades. I'm as bit surprised that it is only wired to the tv and MW, since the inverter has 30A capability. Would expect at least the other galley outlets to be wired through it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 AM   #10

We installed a sub panel and moved most of the outlets to the sub panel. Ours was an after build install on a 5th wheel. Works great. We have less generator run time with the inverter.
Old 11-13-2014, 10:46 AM   #11

I have a xantrex 458 inverter charger with one 30amp breaker
My coach is only a 30amp shore power.looks like adding a sub panel is the safest way to go
Old 11-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If using a sub panel for the inverter power and moving the circuits of your liking to it, it is wise to also add a transfer switch to the design to move the source from inverter to shore power.

If you don't, those circuits MUST be powered by the Xantrex - even when on shore power. With no transfer switch, if/when the Xantex fails, those circuits are going to be dead.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:21 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt151 View Post
I have a 2000 discovery and I was wondering if there is a easy way to wire up my inverter so it will power all the 120 volt outlets only right now it only powers the tv and microwave outlets would be nice to have all plugs powerd for convinance.
The inverter/charger should now power the front TV, rear TV, microwave and one plug in near the kitchen table area.

Go to Fleetwood and ask for the schematics for 12V, 120V and plumbing for your D. They will send them to you in a PDF.

You can get a lot of info from other D owners that have the same year and model as yours HERE. It does cost $$ to join.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #14

Well, Yikes!! Am I in over my head in over-thinking this?

My needs would be to power the Refer, occasional microwave and toaster, and that's about it.

My guess would be a 2000 PSW inverter, but having to do a lot of wiring makes the change not as fun to make.

Could I buy just any old inverter and convert to plugs, or are units like Xantrex specially made for our systems? Do they require lots of retro-fitting?

Tags
power, inverter