Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2017, 11:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Huge sewer mess! Beware of Pure Power Blue waste digester packets

So, I recently made some big changes to the way I handle our black tank system. For one, I changed our chemical from our usual aqua chem toss in packets to a Valterra brand called Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator Toss-Ins. I also bought a flo jet waste pump as where we are staying, I have no convenient place to dump the tank so I use the pump to empty the tank through a regular garden hose into a toilet at the place we are staying. The pump worked great the first few times. Last Friday, I proceed to hook up the pump and dump as usual. I drain the black tank first and when its almost done, I hear the pump kind of change sound. It worried me a bit but it continued to pump out the black tank and when it was empty, I proceeded to pump out the grey tank. The pump was running, but it was taking forever. I looked through the clear tube extension I had between the sewer outlet and the pump and nothing seemed to be moving. Suddenly the pump stopped. Checked the fuses and all but nothing was wrong. Pump must have burned out I thought.

Great! now I have to disconnect it and let whatever is left in the tube and pump spill out everywhere. Well I disconnect the pump and thank god the black was already drained so I was only dealing with grey water. Come to find that there is a plastic like substance wrapped around and jammed in the macerator blade. Now, if I had teenage kids that used my motorhome or perhaps My wife and I were a bit younger, I would have almost thought it was the remnants of a ground up condom that someone had flushed but no.......it was dark blue, almost black and then it dawns on me.......THE PACKET FROM THE NEW SEWER CHEMICAL NEVER DISSOLVED!!!! So this new wonder chemical burned out my 300 dollar plus waste pump! Not to mention caused me a huge disgusting mess. Beware of this Pure Power blue waste digester. It cant even digest the packet it came in. Needless to say, both products were purchased at camping world and both are going back for a full refund or I will raise holy hell in the middle of the store.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2017, 01:41 AM   #2

After your CW 'Return' experience ---post how that went

As for Poop Chemicals........
Really are NOT needed.
Contents in waste tanks are not there long enough to matter
Contents in waste tanks will flow out when dumping regardless of chemicals
Poop stinks.....that is natural
BUT you should NOT smell the poop inside your RV. If you do then something is broken----seal, vapor barrier, a water trap etc.
Chemicals just cause poop to smell like chemicals

Water is all that is needed...
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:45 AM   #3
Community Administrator

That's all I ever use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Water is all that is needed...

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use the chemical because it breaks down the solids and when combined with the pump, I dont have to worry about it going through a 3/4 inch hose. Also after living in it full time, I wanted the digester to work on the tank walls and sensors in both grey and black. After living in it full time you get more of a build up than just a couple weeks use a year. You have no idea how much grease and soapscum build up in a grey tank under full time use. The tanks usually go 7 days till full and then I let them sit 2 days full to let the cacteria go to work to "scrub" the tank, then a good flush and I get super clean water coming out. I usually only use chemical a few times a year or if its really hot. Anyway, camping world should be fun. I actually, for the first time in my life bought an extended warranty on the pump so that will be no questions asked. Im going to do a little dissolve test on one of these packets. Who knows where they are made and all they have to do is get the formula for the dissolving package a little off or perhaps double bag the things and bingo. I guess I'm lucky it didnt mess with the vacu flush pump! That would have been a real pain.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:21 AM   #5

I started using a significant amount of dawn dish soap @1/2 cup each tank and calgon. Makes a bunch of bubbles. No odors at dump time.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:38 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never use a toss-in packet in my holding tank for precisely that reason: they tend not to dissolve. I found this out 25 years ago with my first motorhome.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I have used the water only method with no problems but I prefer Happy Camper as recommended by several others on the Forum. Used as directed, it cleans the bowl as you swish it around as you add it and keeps the black tank fresher in addition to helping with breakdown.

We have used the dishwasher packets and find them not dissolved in the washer. In your case they probably worked correctly most of the time, but it only took one to make a really bad situation.

Thanks for the heads-up about the product.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #8

we've always only used a little liquid dish soap in the commode once or twice a week - never a big problem - the 'digestion' packs seem to be just another RVr product for sale, not that it actually provides any real benefit compared to if you had done nothing but added water to your tank, which is really the best overall method to solve any sewer flow or 'smell' problem, anyway
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrytheBear View Post
I have used the water only method with no problems but I prefer Happy Camper as recommended by several others on the Forum. Used as directed, it cleans the bowl as you swish it around as you add it and keeps the black tank fresher in addition to helping with breakdown.

We have used the dishwasher packets and find them not dissolved in the washer. In your case they probably worked correctly most of the time, but it only took one to make a really bad situation.

Thanks for the heads-up about the product.
I also use Happy Campers and find it more cost effective than any others and does a better job than any others.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Your lesson learned could have been a LOT worse!

Forget that stuff and get Happy Camper tank treatment!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
No paper in Vacuflush...ever!

In the 15 months we have owned our 35K 30th Anniversary Bounder, we have never flushed any type of paper in our Vacuflush toilets. Paper goes directly into a plastic bag-lined waste basket next to the bowl. Never had odor problems, and black tank always flows with clear water during tank flushing.
This system works for us, and we never place chemicals in the black tank.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
In the 15 months we have owned our 35K 30th Anniversary Bounder, we have never flushed any type of paper in our Vacuflush toilets. Paper goes directly into a plastic bag-lined waste basket next to the bowl. Never had odor problems, and black tank always flows with clear water during tank flushing.
This system works for us, and we never place chemicals in the black tank.
I certainly don't want a vacuflush system if that's the way it works! Dirty paper isn't staying inside the living section of our motorhome, it's going in the toilet/tank where it belongs.

We've never tried packets as i figured the problem the OP described could develop. On short trips, no chemical is used but we do use the blue powder when we're staying for awhile. I think it helps with the odor when dumping.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
In the 15 months we have owned our 35K 30th Anniversary Bounder, we have never flushed any type of paper in our Vacuflush toilets. Paper goes directly into a plastic bag-lined waste basket next to the bowl.
We've done the same thing since, through a series of mistakes back in the early '80s, I ended up at a dump station poking a stick into the open black dump connection trying to clear a dried TP and ?? clog. It was "touch and go", but I escaped untouched by the "stuff" and got the tank dumped. We haven't put TP in the tank since.

I've used Aqua Kem in our tanks since the '70s. I think it helps with odors, although if I were full timing the cost might change my mind. All our potties have had a slider valve type flush system that opens directly into the black tank. Sometimes it has to be held open for a while to get everything down. I think the Aqua Kem reduces odor there and when dumping.

Like others, I've never trusted the little packets.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #14

Your bowels contain the enzymes and bacteria need to break down solids. Just add water. Dawn and water softener help clean the sides and make it slippery so that is the only other thing to add.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power