Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
Get real. There are just 2 or 3 pieces of tp in the sealed can, and we empty it each morning.
Only if you use the Cheryl Crow method of just using one TP square for the environment.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
A trash can full of butt wiped toilet paper is perhaps one of the nastiest things I have read on here over that last few years. Every time someone says that I shudder. lol
I guess no one on here has any young grand children, I would love to watch someone flush wet wipes and a soiled diaper down the vacuflush toilet., so what do you do with it? Let me answer that, you bag it and throw it in the outside trash can. One commonly used item I have seen is the big, tall plastic containers that holds soiled baby diapers,called a diaper gennie, they are in almost every nursery, being used everywhere...no ones gagging... just sayin.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayno347 View Post
Get real. There are just 2 or 3 pieces of tp in the sealed can, and we empty it each morning.
Sorry to stay a bit off topic but i'm shaking my head here. You have a system that is designed to handle toilet paper. Why would you want to not utilize that system? Why would you want to bag up poopy tissue and discard it everyday?
Old 03-29-2017, 09:53 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
I guess no one on here has any young grand children, I would love to watch someone flush wet wipes and a soiled diaper down the vacuflush toilet., so what do you do with it? Let me answer that, you bag it and throw it in the outside trash can. One commonly used item I have seen is the big, tall plastic containers that holds soiled baby diapers,called a diaper gennie, they are in almost every nursery, being used everywhere...no ones gagging... just sayin.
Totally different scenario. Diapers and wet wipes don't go down your home toilet either.

And don't say that no one is gagging,,, We used the diaper genie, it did a good job but there were times when it wasn't pleasant.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
So, I recently made some big changes to the way I handle our black tank system. For one, I changed our chemical from our usual aqua chem toss in packets to a Valterra brand called Pure Power Blue Waste Digester and Odor Eliminator Toss-Ins. I also bought a flo jet waste pump as where we are staying, I have no convenient place to dump the tank so I use the pump to empty the tank through a regular garden hose into a toilet at the place we are staying. The pump worked great the first few times. Last Friday, I proceed to hook up the pump and dump as usual. I drain the black tank first and when its almost done, I hear the pump kind of change sound. It worried me a bit but it continued to pump out the black tank and when it was empty, I proceeded to pump out the grey tank. The pump was running, but it was taking forever. I looked through the clear tube extension I had between the sewer outlet and the pump and nothing seemed to be moving. Suddenly the pump stopped. Checked the fuses and all but nothing was wrong. Pump must have burned out I thought.

Great! now I have to disconnect it and let whatever is left in the tube and pump spill out everywhere. Well I disconnect the pump and thank god the black was already drained so I was only dealing with grey water. Come to find that there is a plastic like substance wrapped around and jammed in the macerator blade. Now, if I had teenage kids that used my motorhome or perhaps My wife and I were a bit younger, I would have almost thought it was the remnants of a ground up condom that someone had flushed but no.......it was dark blue, almost black and then it dawns on me.......THE PACKET FROM THE NEW SEWER CHEMICAL NEVER DISSOLVED!!!! So this new wonder chemical burned out my 300 dollar plus waste pump! Not to mention caused me a huge disgusting mess. Beware of this Pure Power blue waste digester. It cant even digest the packet it came in. Needless to say, both products were purchased at camping world and both are going back for a full refund or I will raise holy hell in the middle of the store.
Your problem is not unique to the Pure Power Blue brand. We've had the same thing happen using the Aqua Chem toss ins. Several times I could see the remnants of the package going through the clear hose to the macerator pump. The pump had a similar reaction to yours, but it was powerful enough to grind up the plastic.

The last time it happened the package didn't even open when I threw it in the tank. Two days and over 400 miles later the complete and unopened package came down the hose and was chopped up by the pump.

Since those experiences I now pull open the seam of the package and dump the contents in a full toilet bowl of water. The plastic package is then disposed of in the trash.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:15 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Your problem is not unique to the Pure Power Blue brand. We've had the same thing happen using the Aqua Chem toss ins. Several times I could see the remnants of the package going through the clear hose to the macerator pump. The pump had a similar reaction to yours, but it was powerful enough to grind up the plastic.

The last time it happened the package didn't even open when I threw it in the tank. Two days and over 400 miles later the complete and unopened package came down the hose and was chopped up by the pump.

Since those experiences I now pull open the seam of the package and dump the contents in a full toilet bowl of water. The plastic package is then disposed of in the trash.
And, of course the answer to this is..... just use water. RV chemicals of any brand is just plain not needed and a total waste of money. I don't understand why people think that using these chemicals are needed - they are not.

For those of you who do use them, try just using water and maybe a little soap when traveling.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
And, of course the answer to this is..... just use water. RV chemicals of any brand is just plain not needed and a total waste of money. I don't understand why people think that using these chemicals are needed - they are not.

For those of you who do use them, try just using water and maybe a little soap when traveling.

Ron
Some people don't want their motorhome, everything in it and everything around it to smell like an outhouse.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:43 AM   #50

Forest River Owners Club
The care and handling of poo water ...ALWAYS a "popular" topic on RV forums.

Quote:
After living in it full time you get more of a build up than just a couple weeks use a year.
We were fulltimers for over 7 years, and now are on the road 5-7 months a year. The only "chemical" I have ever put in the black tank is once or twice a year I dump in whatever cheap liquid additive I find with coconut oil in it to help lube the dump valves. I have also used some Dawn detergent or water softener liquid on a few rare occasions because it seemed like a good idea. Our black tank has a built in flush system that I use after dumping. I dump the tanks when the black is getting close to full, then add a few gallons of water to the empty tank before using it. And we keep water in the toilet bowl, plus using apx another bowl's worth after flushing. The black tank dump interval has been anywhere from 4 to 21 days of use. We have never had tank smells inside or outside the coach (well, except for that time we left the rear roof vent open while driving ...it is too close and just aft of the tank roof vent!!). I would rather NOT dump just before hitting the road as traveling with "contents" in the black tank breaks up the solids & paper better than ANYTHING else I have use. And both tanks dump well on our 15 yr old coach.

Do what makes you comfy, but in my experience black tank chemicals & other gimmicks (other than adding water) are not worth the $$ or time spent fiddling with them.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
The care and handling of poo water ...ALWAYS a "popular" topic on RV forums.
Amen brother, amen. Between Poop and Bullets I sit back and just marvel at the variety of mindsets that are out there. And everyone is welcome to agree and disagree, respectively, with each other. Aren't our nations great or what?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
This sounds like my first trip to Italy. No paper in bowls they use garbage can.
Just nasty and gross.
I reckon the flies gotta eat too.
Crazeee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:54 PM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Some people don't want their motorhome, everything in it and everything around it to smell like an outhouse.
AND to take that comment just one step further....... Why oh why would anyone buy a motorhome and then use the public /campground toilets and showers?????? THAT my friends is EXACTLY WHY we got the motorhome, to travel and to not have to use disgusting porto-potties and public showers. Anyone here ever use the porto-pottie at a nascar track at the end of the day??? Now there is the definition of disgusting, not a couple pieces of tp in a waste basket that gets emptied regularly. Again..just sayin.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
I started using a significant amount of dawn dish soap @1/2 cup each tank and calgon. Makes a bunch of bubbles. No odors at dump time.

X2 that's what I use !
Old 03-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If your motorhome smells like an outhouse if you don't use chemicals in the black tank, you might want to inspect your entire black/grey tank system and find out what is plugged, malfunctioning, or poorly designed as a properly designed and functioning system will vent to the OUTSIDE of the motorhome, NOT the INSIDE of the motorhome!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:24 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
AND to take that comment just one step further....... Why oh why would anyone buy a motorhome and then use the public /campground toilets and showers?????? THAT my friends is EXACTLY WHY we got the motorhome, to travel and to not have to use disgusting porto-potties and public showers. Anyone here ever use the porto-pottie at a nascar track at the end of the day??? Now there is the definition of disgusting, not a couple pieces of tp in a waste basket that gets emptied regularly. Again..just sayin.
Great point! It's similar to looking at coaches for sale that have been regularly used, but the oven and stove were never used! The microwave ovens, yes, but you have to use SOMETHING to heat up those cardboard meals. . . .Ooops, I meant to say TV Dinners!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power