Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #1

Humidifier

Any suggestions on good/inexpensive humidifiers that work well in a camper? I have horrible allergies and in a small space its just not getting any better. Any suggestions would be great!! Thanks!
NY Camper 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not sure about the "good" and "inexpensive" part... I find you get what you pay for and buying quality is often less expensive than buying twice. We live in a very dry climate and have 2 Venta ultrasonic humidifiers running 24/7 for over 5 years. They work great, pump about 8 gallons of water into our air per day. I bought ours at Ace Hardware. I think they were about $80 each.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

We lived in southwest Florida for ten years prior to full timing and became comfortable with the humidity, so now that we are in south California we had do something. We bought a Vornado Evap2 at Bed Bath and Beyond, I think $79. The unit has high, low and auto fan speed along with percentage of humidity settings.
1948boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Are you sure it's a humidifier you want ? Is it possible you mean dehumidifier ?
Usually humid locations grow mold and mildew which makes allergies worse, and you want to decrease the moisture to prevent this.

My allergies do better in a less humid environment I.e drier air

I've actually heard of a allergy therapy which puts people in old salt mines, for a few hours. The salt absorbs the moisture in the air, making for a very dry environment.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You may want to include a good electro-static air purifier as well to remove pollen in the air. It's made a big difference for us.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Are you sure it's a humidifier you want ? Is it possible you mean dehumidifier ?
Usually humid locations grow mold and mildew which makes allergies worse, and you want to decrease the moisture to prevent this.

My allergies do better in a less humid environment I.e drier air

I've actually heard of a allergy therapy which puts people in old salt mines, for a few hours. The salt absorbs the moisture in the air, making for a very dry environment.

Well problem is when I get up in the morning I am so stuffed up I can't breathe. Any I am so dry. I also need something to help take the dander out of the air from the pets. So your right I don't know exactly what I need! Any and all help would be great!!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #7

2X, on the electro static air cleaner .
JMHO: Allergies and 3 pets ( they narrowed my allergies down to something I ate , drank or thought of & I had a black lab for 13 years ) your asking for trouble. Keep the furry kids OUT of the bedroom , if the cats sleep on the bed , that could be the worst of your problem. Just saying.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
2X, on the electro static air cleaner .
JMHO: Allergies and 3 pets ( they narrowed my allergies down to something I ate , drank or thought of & I had a black lab for 13 years ) your asking for trouble. Keep the furry kids OUT of the bedroom , if the cats sleep on the bed , that could be the worst of your problem. Just saying.

I've never had any problems with the animals. I think its the confined space along with my pollen allergies. If I could keep the cats out of the bedroom I sure would!
Old 04-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Camper 86 View Post
I've never had any problems with the animals. I think its the confined space along with my pollen allergies. If I could keep the cats out of the bedroom I sure would!

Loved my lab , but in the 2 months after I had to put her down, both my allergies and my DW's asthma improved significantly . ( Not the worst day of my life, but easily in the top 5 ) So for the last 15 years we've been without, and it is a big adjustment, but health wise , somehow worth it.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Loved my lab , but in the 2 months after I had to put her down, both my allergies and my DW's asthma improved significantly . ( Not the worst day of my life, but easily in the top 5 ) So for the last 15 years we've been without, and it is a big adjustment, but health wise , somehow worth it.

I just can't imagine life without my "kids". They are all I really have. But I do understand where you are coming from.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

Before you add a humidifier , I'd invest in a hygrometer, to check current humidity, as others have said , saturating the air can lead to mould & mildew problems.