Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

Hurricaine advice

I full time in western North Carolina. I have no insurance for Hurricaine damage. Is it too late coverage?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #2

You should talk to your insurance agent but there is usually a waiting period before the insurance goes into effect, I would watch the track and get out of harms way if possible.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #3

Found out once a state of emergency is declared policy writing stops. So my rig is fairly heavy. I’m thinking the biggest threat for me is the lighter travel trailers blowing onto mine.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #4

Can you move 150 to 200 miles south to southwest? You would probably miss all effects of the storm.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsdr2 View Post
Found out once a state of emergency is declared policy writing stops. So my rig is fairly heavy. I’m thinking the biggest threat for me is the lighter travel trailers blowing onto mine.
That, and tree(s) falling or their branches that get snapped and thrown onto your rig. Utility poles can also fall. Check out your surroundings to see what looks vulnerable to high winds.

Myself, I wouldn't stay if the forecast was above tropical storm strength or if it looked like i would be east of the storm's path where wind gusts, lots of rain, and tornados might be more likely.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #6

It's not just the hurricane you have to worry about,but tornadoes that are generated.I went threw Andrew to see how strong nature can be.You say your coach is heavy, but I watched buildings ripped from there foundations.Best advice is to leave if possible.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsdr2 View Post
I full time in western North Carolina. I have no insurance for Hurricaine damage. Is it too late coverage?
Call your insurance company. They are the only ones who can advise you as to what coverages you have or can add. Generally speaking, you can add coverages anytime up to the moment before something happens, but never after it happens.
Gone_Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

By the time a storm reaches western NC, it's probably no longer a hurricane anyway and whatever usual "wind and rain damage" coverage you have will apply. Besides, if this is an RV question, I doubt if there is any "hurricane coverage" available for it. A Hurricane damage rider usually applies to a fixed site property.

Call your insurer or his agent and discuss what coverages you have that might apply and what options exist for more coverage (if needed).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:45 AM   #9

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #10

Is "hurricane insurance" even something you can buy? I mean, do houses in FL have a separate hurricane policy?
Old 09-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #11

Not sure where you are in "western NC", but the only storm to make it that far inland was Hugo, and that was a near perfect storm. I know flood insurance has a 30 day waiting period. My fear where you probably are is falling trees.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Is "hurricane insurance" even something you can buy? I mean, do houses in FL have a separate hurricane policy?
Yes, higher deducible, usually 2.5% instead of $1,000. Outside of that, same coverage, just cost more in deductibles and clearly stated on the policy.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Yes, higher deducible, usually 2.5% instead of $1,000. Outside of that, same coverage, just cost more in deductibles and clearly stated on the policy.

That and you typically need a separate Flood Insurance policy.

BTW, that 2.5% is a whole lot of deductible.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:46 PM   #14

air in tires?

If the storm is headed towards you, could you take a side trip somewhere else? Fuel might cost less than insurance upgrade.
Campasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice