Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Hurricane or Tropical Storm in South Alabama?

I have a lot at Lake Osprey which is just East of Foley, Alabama. Bella Terra is just South of us. With Danny possibly getting into the Gulf of Mexico in about a week I am checking to see what my options are. I have a home in SE Louisiana where my motorhome is at Lake Osprey. If the storm is a Category 2 or below we usually stay at home instead of evacuating.

My main question is what do y'all do with your motorhomes? I am about 3 hours away. As Danny gets closer I will need to decide on where to have the motorhome.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to JJH3rd
Most folks who have never experienced a hurricane do not understand that a hurricane, from a wind perspective is the mother of tornadoes. In addition to the regular "from the earth to the clouds" tornado, wind speeds in excess of 100mph can cause the creation of the equivalent of "wing-tip-vorticies". This phenomenon happens when high speed winds "spin" away from the corners of a building and create horizontal "tornadoes" much like the ones coming off the tips of large aircraft.

I noticed this effect after hurricane Camel: there was a wedge-shaped path of destruction "down-wind" of houses/buildings that were not destroyed, but homes/buildings in the down-wind wedge were.

SO... what to do in case of a hurricane?

MOVE ANYTHING YOU DON'T WANT DESTROYED WELL AWAY FROM THE PROJECTED PATH, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE & PETS.

I lived on the coast of Mississippi for 37 years and survived many hurricanes. For some hurricanes (1947, Camel, Kartina) my relatives' homes did not survive.

JJH3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:40 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Our current home was being built when Katrina hit. We had no damage at all. The eye was only about 20 miles East of us. We stayed for Gustav and Issac. Unless this is a Category 4 or 5 hitting a direct hit we will stay at the house. But the motorhome may be somewhere else.

If Danny is only a Category 1 or a tropical storm it may stay where it is. But I want the opinions.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I would watch carefully at the development of the storm. If it even hints that it will be a Cat 2, I would be moving that coach. Lake Osprey is close to the sea and even if the canal offers somewhat of a buffer, it is too close for me. I was in Panama City during a Cat 2 hurricane and about 15 miles off the water. It was destructive to our house & trees came down. I have been in our coach during a microburst that shook the coach so hard that things fell off the counters and actually lifted it up a little, we aren't lightweight either. Scared the bejezus out of us. So, as close as Osprey is to the beach, I would be moving it northward if it appears the storm is coming that way.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just watch , Danny is going to fizzle out over Cuba.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #6

I'm originally from Florida and lived there a long time.

If a serious hurricane was heading for me on the Alabama coast and I wanted to keep my motorhome I'd take it at least 100 miles north, and I wouldn't wait until everyone else got the same idea. Beware, also, that hurricanes usually bring lots of flooding well inland.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:50 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
There is a storage facility about 5 minutes from us that gets a lot of RV's brought in when a storm hits the coast. Our area is not in a flood zone also and Lake Osprey is also not in a flood zone.

So if the Elberta, Alabama is not safe I would bring it back home. Now if it is a Cat 3 or above I will be heading North for just a little while.

It appears that Danny is getting weaker and weaker, but it depends on if it gets into the Gulf. There is another one on its backside coming now.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #8

You might want to check what your Insurance Carrier dictates on your policy. Some will cover damages if parked at home or an RV park & not cover it at a storage facility. Check out the storage facility's policy on damage to coaches on their property. All bets may be off if a hurricane is involved.

Lake Ospry may not be in a flood zone but we were there last year after the torrential rains they had & the road to the golf course was completely washed out.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #9

DANNY DEGENERATES INTO A TROUGH OF LOW PRESSURE,
of course this infuriates the weather media who love screaming
"The sky is falling The sky is falling "
Old 08-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #10

My MH is sitting at Terry Cove in Orange Beach so I have watched Danny pretty close as well. I think Cuba will tear Danny up into a tropical depression, let's just hope it doesn't regroup once it enters the Gulf. We will know what we are facing by the end of next week. If Danny turns north toward the Al coast, I will be headed south to get my MH. I don't think this will be an issue at Lake Osprey but we are required to have a window decal to access the island if a evacuation is declared.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #11

Danny has about fizzled out but Erika is coming behind him.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #12

And the weather media is already drooling
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Erika is too far out to tell where it is going, Wait until Wednesday or Thursday to see if it is going up the east coast or in the gulf.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #14

Wouldn't you love to have a job where you can be wrong 75% of the time and still be praised for your "predictions"? I've kept tabs on live radar tracking storms for my area. I'ts not difficult to see the projected path of the storm is not what I hear from the weather forecasters. Sometimes I think they get a kickback from grocery stores.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane