Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #1

I just got out of a multi-county Emergency Management meeting this morning (Wed.9-21) that was linked to a conference call to the State Operations Center (DPS Austin). Here are some highlights that would be of interest to any RVers on the Texas coast wondering whether to stay or leave.[LIST]
<LI>presently the eye is forcast to hit near Matagorta Bay.
<LI>tropical storm force winds should hit the coast between 10am -2pm Friday (you need to be gone by then).
<LI>damaging wind/rain will extend for a 200 mile radius from the eye. (that means 400 miles of coastline will feal this thing)
<LI>Rita is now a cat. 4, it may go to a cat. 5 by landfall.
<LI>most of the Texas coast is (or will be) in the evecuation zone.
<LI>evacuations are already underway.
<LI>Of regional interest to my area (Uvalde county); hotels and RV parks in Uvalde County are already full or reserved. Val Verde county hotels are full. Above is a combination of
(1.) persons have already reserved theire place of shelter
(b.) Dove hunting season is open, which fills the hotels, and also a big rodeo in Del Rio has their hotels booked solid.
If you had planned to shelter inland in these areas, check before you arrive for availability of hotels /RV sites.
<LI>As of this moment, San Antonio is the westernmost evacuation hub for official shelters. Hubs futher west may be opened as needed later. As always "the Red Cross" is the evacuation coordinations entity for Texas.
If you are needing to leave the affected coastal area in your RV and can find no other place of refuge, dont forget to look at the Texas State Park websight for locations of State Parks. If you really get into a bind, e-mail me at ...
opschief@medinaec.com .....
and I will try and get you info on a place for you and your RV to sit out the storm.

Texas oficials are being very serious about Rita and have organized a massive response. I will try and post pertinant updates as I get them.

Robert Doucet,
Operations Chief, Uvalde County EOC, &
Chief of Police SWTJC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #2

I just got out of a multi-county Emergency Management meeting this morning (Wed.9-21) that was linked to a conference call to the State Operations Center (DPS Austin). Here are some highlights that would be of interest to any RVers on the Texas coast wondering whether to stay or leave.[LIST]
<LI>presently the eye is forcast to hit near Matagorta Bay.
<LI>tropical storm force winds should hit the coast between 10am -2pm Friday (you need to be gone by then).
<LI>damaging wind/rain will extend for a 200 mile radius from the eye. (that means 400 miles of coastline will feal this thing)
<LI>Rita is now a cat. 4, it may go to a cat. 5 by landfall.
<LI>most of the Texas coast is (or will be) in the evecuation zone.
<LI>evacuations are already underway.
<LI>Of regional interest to my area (Uvalde county); hotels and RV parks in Uvalde County are already full or reserved. Val Verde county hotels are full. Above is a combination of
(1.) persons have already reserved theire place of shelter
(b.) Dove hunting season is open, which fills the hotels, and also a big rodeo in Del Rio has their hotels booked solid.
If you had planned to shelter inland in these areas, check before you arrive for availability of hotels /RV sites.
<LI>As of this moment, San Antonio is the westernmost evacuation hub for official shelters. Hubs futher west may be opened as needed later. As always "the Red Cross" is the evacuation coordinations entity for Texas.
If you are needing to leave the affected coastal area in your RV and can find no other place of refuge, dont forget to look at the Texas State Park websight for locations of State Parks. If you really get into a bind, e-mail me at ...
opschief@medinaec.com .....
and I will try and get you info on a place for you and your RV to sit out the storm.

Texas oficials are being very serious about Rita and have organized a massive response. I will try and post pertinant updates as I get them.

Robert Doucet,
Operations Chief, Uvalde County EOC, &
Chief of Police SWTJC

Old 09-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Location: FULLTIMERS - currently wintering in Rochester, NY - Goin\' places, Makin\' friends, Havin\' fun!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Texas officials are being very serious about Rita and have organized a massive response. I will try and post pertinent updates as I get them </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Robert!

Looks like Rita is going to be very nasty. Here is the Infrared Satellite Loop of Hurricane Rita in the Gulf right now.

Thanks so very much for your very generous offer to help those RV rs who might need assistance.

Please stay safe!

Tania and Dave
[b]NASCAR FANS - Carl Edwards #99 & Ryan Newman #12![/col
RVrs R US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:52 PM   #4

Here is a 5PM Wednesday update after some more conference calls. <LI>Now a cat 5, will hover between a 4 and 5 until land fall. <LI>Track after landfall will be to the North passing east of San Antonio, slightly East of Austin... continuing north. <LI>San Antonio rain expected is 2-4 inches, heavier east of there / lighter west of there. It will rain all day Saturday. Storm is predicted to be a fast mover (that is good) not hanging up and dumping rain is one spot.<LI>Strenght as it gets to Austin area may still be HURRICANE FORCE WINDS cat 1. So the corridor from landfall (Matagorda bay) northward passing just east of Austin will get hard hit. <LI>The eyewall will be 70+ miles wide at landfall. <LI>It will kinda follow parallel to I35 and the worst of it will be east of I35. <LI>The State Operations Center is saying that people going to official shelters MAY bring their pets. (this is new policy)

I'll post again Thursday after more meetings.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 PM   #5

Update as of 11PM Wed night.... <LI>landfall prediction has shifted east to FREEPORT <LI>inland track also shifted east towards Bryan/College Station <LI>Hurricane strength winds as far inland as Bryan/College Station <LI>timelines are same with first winds hitting coast Friday mid morning. <LI>evacuation total is expected to be 1.5 million people <LI>eyewall width at landfall predicted to be 130 miles wide <LI>classified as "greatest storm threat in the history of the state of Texas."

I will try and post next update Thurs. after a 10:30 AM briefing.

Bottom line is if you are in this storms path...LEAVE!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:47 PM   #6

Hurricane updates are best seen on CNN, MSNBC & FOX News. Changes shown there are pretty much UP TO THE MINUTE. With all due respect, why post here?

Rich
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #7

Rich, no offense taken. The info I am recieving is "straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak". It has no media spin or hype added. I'm trying to hightlight 45 minute conference calls that happen three times a day that have over 500 govt official participants. Many of our readers are in the affected area and my goal is to help them decide where to evacuate to. As today progresses, those people will no longer be in a position to be looking at any internet, so I will probably quit posting info that might help them. If the moderators want me to stop now, just say the word, because I've got a rather busy Emergency Management day ahead of me. Again no offense taken, but if your 2000 miles away, then these posts are not for you, so dont read them. As of this AM the directive has gone out to every city in Texas to open shelters on an as needed basis.
Robert
Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #8

Hey Two Bit. Keep it up, I have family down in that area and appreciate the update. Some people just don't get it, the forum is about people helping people. CNN etc sometimes are not as up to date as we like to believe they are.

All the best weathering the storm
Old 09-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #9

Two Bit I agree with Camping Dutchman especially being in TX and in its possible inland path. I myself appreciate your concern and help.

Thanks,
Texas Grams
Old 09-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #10

as of 1PM Thursday:
<LI>track keeps shifting east. Track is classified as "unstable" so slight chance it could drift back west.
<LI>Landfall is predicted at Jefferson county / Orange county area.
<LI>Tracking inland to Lufkin and being a cat 1 in Lufkin. Lufkin 10-15 inches of rain.
<LI>Late Monday/Tues the remanants may circle back into the central Texas Hill Country creating possible flash floods/soaking rains.
<LI>traffic is bad all points east of and including I35
<LI>Corpus Christi and coastal points SW are now predicted to only have tropical storm force winds but evecuated areas remain closed.

More info at about 5pm
Old 09-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #11

5pm thursday update.
<LI>storm still going same place. <LI>an issue that has arisen is persons in vehicles leaving the large metropolitan areas are running out of fuel on side of roads & highways because traffic is moving so slow. roads are very congested. <LI>take extra fuel if you can, food supplies, and lots of drinking water with you in your vehicle. <LI> state is working to get fuel and water to the stranded motorists using all means possible.