Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
HWH level jacks rebuild

Does anyone know of a place that can (will) rebuild some HWH jacks? I am tired of getting my 2X4 our and forcing the slow jacks back into stowed position. Embarrassing to say the least. Bought some used ones and they got the same way in a short time. 2 come up very nicely, one sort of slow, the other, will not retract under it's own spring power. Yes, all solenoids and lines, valves etc. are good. I have read lots about lube, use it, don't use it. Ready to get this fixed.
johnzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2015, 08:50 AM   #2

Get the phone book and check hydrolic supplies and repair.

Jacks are simple devices same as used in tractors forklifts and darn near anything else.

Most decent sized cities have at least one place that can do this work.

Farming or industrial areas usually have many.

Did you keep the old ones?
Old 06-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes, I still have some old ones to be rebuilt. These units are welded together, so shops around here will not work on them. If they were screwed together, I would rebuild them myself.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnzuki View Post
Yes, I still have some old ones to be rebuilt. These units are welded together, so shops around here will not work on them. If they were screwed together, I would rebuild them myself.
I am surprised to hear this, sounds like they are non-serviceable....

Dan
Old 06-21-2015, 11:22 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Does anyone know of a place that can (will) rebuild some HWH jacks? I am tired of getting my 2X4 our and forcing the slow jacks back into stowed position. Embarrassing to say the least. Bought some used ones and they got the same way in a short time. 2 come up very nicely, one sort of slow, the other, will not retract under it's own spring power. Yes, all solenoids and lines, valves etc. are good. I have read lots about lube, use it, don't use it. Ready to get this fixed.
You didn't mention that you have checked the springs? IF not as a thought you could switch the springs with ones that work to the one not working and see if that helps.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several years ago, We sent ours to HWH for a rebuild. We got rebuilt ones back from them in just a few days. I'm sure they weren't the same ones we sent, but who cares! Ours didn't work, theirs did. 😍 Call and they'll give you details.

BTW: CW tried to sell us a new controller to "fix" the problem. 😡

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
Commercial Member

contact hwh and send them in. you get a one year warranty on them, will your local place give that same warranty? turn around is about three weeks.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:17 AM   #8

Stuart's in Elkhart, IN--recommend them most highly! The factory in Iowa didn't fix our problem, but Stuart's did. No more 2x4 for us!
HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
jdocter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

The HWH FAQ page says to use WD40 to clean and lube the jack shafts. The leading cause of slow retracting jacks is weak springs, and the least-costly remedy to try first.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:53 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The HWH FAQ page says to use WD40 to clean and lube the jack shafts. The leading cause of slow retracting jacks is weak springs, and the least-costly remedy to try first.
The jacks groan when extending or retracting with a 2x4. I don't think that is the springs.
Thanks for the heads up on the rebuild.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:07 PM   #11

Call the factory in Moscow, Iowa, talk to them. I understand that in the summer they are SUPER busy, or maybe just go up there! In way less than a day they can completely go through your system. We got 4 rebuilt jacks, with the same warranty as new ones, for the same price as ONE new one.

They are very good to work with, just overwhelmed by their popularity.

I have also heard good words about Stuart's.

We got HWH rebuilts three years ago and they have worked GREAT ever since.
We do spray them off with the water hose to remove sand and dirt the day before we leave, then 2-3 hours later spray them with W-D 40.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 04:22 PM   #12

Quote:
I have had these rebuilt locally, You are right most shops can not or will not attempt to rebuild them. There is a shop in Jacksonville Florida that rebuilt mine. P&H Hydraulic can do it. They will come apart but there is a retainer in the jack. I believe it is accessed from the threaded plug in the side of the jack.

I had them rebuild mine because there was a long lead time from HWH.

They do not cut and reweld the cylinder as some shops might suggest. I had a shop tell me that before P&H rebuilt it for me.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just had HWH rebuild one of my rear jacks that wouldn't retract. Basically they replaced all of the wipers and seals. Mine was just over a hundred including shipping. Wondering if it could be a DIY project with parts from HWH?
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #14
Commercial Member

hwh does not normally sell the jack seals in a kit for diy repair. most of the people who own rv's do not get that deep into their own repairs.
it takes a set of special tools to access the retainers inside the cylinder. and some testing eqpt. hwh test every piece before its sent out.
hwh has about a three week turnaround time for cylinder rebuilds. then you get a one year parts and labor warranty. who would be responsible for the warranty if you diy?
i have posted my cell number on here for a number of years. and only get a few calls a week from this forum, and the other site, ##.net
my cell is 602-549-3638. i can help with diagnostics and some parts.
the owner of hwh insist that every caller be answered and helped if possible. often this takes a couple of hours per call. some call just to find out how to check the fluid, even when they dont know where the pump is. that results i n the backup ocurring now.
there is a ton of information on all of the hwh systems on our website. service manuals are there free.
the FAQ section answers 99% of common questions.
with more and more people doing their repairs, the wait time is improving.
stuarts in indiana is also an excellent place for advise, and parts.
please feel free to call me any time. 602-549-3638 paul maddox
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks