RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I 80 across Illinois a nightmare

Just traveled from the west to east of Illinois (my home state) on I80. Road is filled with potholes and major rough repairs that cause your RV to bounce all over.

Coming back from MI today I made sure I took an alternate route and it was almost as bad.

Illinois Legislature stole the fuel tax money by adding it to the general fund where they could spend it as they saw fit. Now they want to raise takes again to fix roads.

Maybe someone should go to jail - maybe alot.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Just traveled from the west to east of Illinois (my home state) on I80. Road is filled with potholes and major rough repairs that cause your RV to bounce all over.

Coming back from MI today I made sure I took an alternate route and it was almost as bad.

Illinois Legislature stole the fuel tax money by adding it to the general fund where they could spend it as they saw fit. Now they want to raise takes again to fix roads.

I have a friend who works for the Illinois Tollway. Rumor is, I-80 through Illinois is going full toll road, state line to state line.
It's been a while since I heard this so maybe not completely accurate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Calif. did the same thing years ago by adding the gas tax to the general fund and we just last year added a new gas tax just for roads. Actually glad they did as the roads are actually getting better. Gas prices are not much different compared to other places.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
Calif. did the same thing years ago by adding the gas tax to the general fund and we just last year added a new gas tax just for roads. Actually glad they did as the roads are actually getting better. Gas prices are not much different compared to other places.
Suggest you do a gas buddy search and you will see that Calibprices are significantly higher. What they shoul do is separate the fuel taxes they already collect and stop wasting taxpayer money.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we buy diesel it is always within thirty cents a gallon. Need roads so not paying the price does not fix the problem.
Alan24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #6

We ran I-80 across Ill in mid August and that road is very rough. I had installed a air bag pin box hitch on our fifth wheel just before the trip and we still had items rearranged inside from the rough ride. Toll roads are not the answer, just look at I-80 in Indiana or Ohio (expensive and rough).
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan24601 View Post
When we buy diesel it is always within thirty cents a gallon. Need roads so not paying the price does not fix the problem.
And that is what Cali politicians continue to raise taxes and squander the money.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

Quote:

LOL. And this is anything new? The roads have been deteriorating for a long time. It has been going on in Illinois for years and years. I was raised there. My parents still live there. We travel there every year, and always comment that each time is worse than the last. Just one of many reasons people are leaving Illinois in droves. Corruption at all levels.
GoneToTheDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We ran I-80 across Ill in mid August and that road is very rough. I had installed a air bag pin box hitch on our fifth wheel just before the trip and we still had items rearranged inside from the rough ride. Toll roads are not the answer, just look at I-80 in Indiana or Ohio (expensive and rough).
Indiana sold off their toll road to a private company years ago. I refuse to use it when going east. I use US30, more scenic and certainly easier on the motorhome.
Ohio is slightly better but still will not use it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Indiana sold off their toll road to a private company years ago. I refuse to use it when going east. I use US30, more scenic and certainly easier on the motorhome.
Ohio is slightly better but still will not use it.

Yes, ITR, the private company ran I-80 into the ground for about 8 years then went bankrupt. In 2015 a Australian pension investment Co. took over and the jury is still out. Tax payers built the road, the Gov sold the toll rights to balance the 2006 state budget, the result is current I-80 begging for a tax payer rebuild.
https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...ndor/70161160/
Actually I prefer US20 and 2 across IN and OH.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Went to Elkhart 6 weeks ago and took I80 from Cleveland.
Ohio turnpike was fine, but I80 in Indiana, I thought I was back in Louisiana on I10. What a sad excuse for a toll road.
Also, when I exited the pike, at an unmanned toll both, charged me for 5 axles. Tandem axle Hitchhiker.

Tim
Old 09-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #12

Decades back a young military officer took a convoy across much of the country. He had so much trouble with bad roads that later in life he introduced the idea of interstate highway system for commerce and defense. I sometimes think we would be better off to transfer maintenance of the interstates to the defense department's unlimited budget. That would leave more of the fuel tax monies to repair the other highways...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 AM   #13

Quote:

You, can thank the Chicago Politian's who are running the state all the money goes to Chicagoland and what is left goes to the rest of the state.
Now there is talk of a mileage tax on your vehicles plus a raise in the gas tax. This plus additional taxes that Chicago wants to raise that the rest of the state need's pay to support their Teachers union.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM   #14

Last summer we camp hosted at a Ill SP and it was sad to see the park in disrepair and getting worse. The park was full on weekends, but the camping fees collected were sent to the state general fund while the park lacked for basic repairs and maint. personnel.