Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #1

I-95 Driver Warning

We made our annual trip from Pa to SC last week. Over the summer we drove over 5500 miles and didn't experience the dangerous drivers we found on I-95 south of Richmond VA.
Twice we were about run off the road at interchanges with traffic merging. In our cases neither driver merged, they just pulled onto the raodway.
Our third experience was with a Mercedes Benz that owned the road. I actually thought he was going to pass us on the berm,but, instead ran the driver to his left off the road to get around us. Even the truck drivers couldn't believe what they saw.
ALL OF THE DRIVERS WERE FROM QUEBEC Ca.
Please folks, be careful out there and watch for these idiots.
Baby Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Thank goodness we approach Florida from the Northwest...the only scary part of our drive is on I-75 from Lake City to the Turnpike near Orlando. Have heard many horror stories about I-95 south of Richmond, particularly right after Christmas.
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Baby Bear - Unfortunately, you can find "idiots"on most of the freeways in this country and what amazes me is they think they're gonna win a one-on-one with my 10 ton plus motorhome. My two favorite pet peeves - cars that slow as they merge from an on ramp and cars that cut in front of me sharply after passing. If I hit one - they will lose !!

Glad to hear you made your winter digs OK though - we are headed to Florida, Fort Myers area, in January.

Best regards -
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We passed through Richmond a few times this year and didn't have such an awful experience. Be careful on the highways and try to enjoy the ride. Safe to your destination!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Community Administrator

cars drafting

On more than a few occasions we had a car following so close that I thought I was in a nascar race. I guess they were trying to conserve fuel.This by the way was behind my toad. I usually can't see anything directly behind the toad , but was able to see these racing fans.

Too close for comfort if you ask me. Anybody else have this happen to them?

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:47 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We agree about all the crazies out there. Born and raised on the east coast we have made many trip up and down I-95. What do we do about the wonderful drivers in this great Country is to try and protect ourselves as much as possible.
1. We try a drive at a slow, but safe speed, 58-60 mph
2. We have a "Car in Tow" sign on the toad. The empty toad still gets the 1 finger wave and yes some people try to get the toad to move over.
3. Most State have a 3 number emergency reporting #. Get the plate # and call.
4. We try not to travel during peak hours.
5. It is not only the Canadians, but most of us trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Before we retired it was always hurry up because we have to get back soon.
Did I ever drive the way I see people drive today, I hope not and if I did I can only say I was foolish and Thank You Lord for keeping us all safe.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #7

I live in SC and I understand your pain. When we first moved here I was shocked at their driving habits. There is no such thing as merging, most drivers either speed down the ramp or start stopping before the end of the ramp then tries to speed out in front of traffic. The other thing you need to watch for is that if you are going to make a right hand turn and across the street from you a driver is going to make a left hand turn going the same direction you are, they will make their turn WITH YOU going for the far left lane. This is common practice in SC and is legal according to the local cops. The first time it happened I thought I was going to be hit. Now I am used to it, I just watch the other turning driver carefully. Good luck driving in SC....
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I've found that a few of these stuck to the sides and back seem to help....

Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hey! Houston is just as bad. It's not restricted to one part of the country. There are idiots everywhere.

Buck62,
A lot of states have laws in their books that state, Turn right, stay right, Turn left, stay left. It goes back to the 60's when I was in California.

On the driver's test for RV's, and big rigs, one of the test is to "Turn Right, Stay Right." When I took the test, if you didn't make it, you didn't pass.

But there are still a lot of idiots out there that have no clue. I remember workers who had a half hour lunch and would drive 8-15 miles for lunch, expecting to get back on time.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:36 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftall View Post
On more than a few occasions we had a car following so close that I thought I was in a nascar race. I guess they were trying to conserve fuel.This by the way was behind my toad. I usually can't see anything directly behind the toad , but was able to see these racing fans.

Too close for comfort if you ask me. Anybody else have this happen to them?

Cliff
When I encounter a jerk that rides my tail, I either turn on the lights (if they aren't already on) or I use my left foot to tap the brakes. BTW, I keep my camera positioned so the back of the toad is middle screen.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If all else fails ........ "that's why God gave us air horns!"
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandS View Post
what amazes me is they think they're gonna win a one-on-one with my 10 ton plus motorhome. If I hit one - they will lose !!

Best regards -
I'm not sure anybody "wins" in this situation. While it's true you out weigh him (by alot) there's not a whole lot of metal in the front of these coaches and it's still gonna hurt.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Bear View Post
We made our annual trip from Pa to SC last week. Over the summer we drove over 5500 miles and didn't experience the dangerous drivers we found on I-95 south of Richmond VA.
Twice we were about run off the road at interchanges with traffic merging. In our cases neither driver merged, they just pulled onto the raodway.
Our third experience was with a Mercedes Benz that owned the road. I actually thought he was going to pass us on the berm,but, instead ran the driver to his left off the road to get around us. Even the truck drivers couldn't believe what they saw.
ALL OF THE DRIVERS WERE FROM QUEBEC Ca.
Please folks, be careful out there and watch for these idiots.
That's what the "Hadleys" are for.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Never mind about other vehicles. One thing you can't deal with and that's rocks!

Rockslide Shuts Down I-40 In Western N.C.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Shortly after 2 a.m. Sunday morning, a rockslide occurred on I-40 near mile marker 3 in Haywood County. NCDOT expects I-40 to remain closed for several weeks.

more ....