Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 07:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you really want to avoid congestion, go I 95 to Richmond, VA. West on I 84 to I 81, then north to Scranton, PA, I 84 to Hartford, CT, I 91 north. You'll avoid Washington, Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia and New York City.
Interstate-Guide: Interstate 81

Most construction work on our interstate highways is done during the summer and at night if possible. Same for 95 and 81.

We moved from NJ to central PA in retirement. The route described by BFlinn181 is WAY better in every way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leary54 View Post
I use rt 17 north at Fredericksburg va. To I-66 to I-81 north nice ride .
I agree. This is the fastest route I have found.

The other thing I would add is to definitely use 295 around Richmond. It may be a little longer but it is less traffic and smoother than going straight thru on 95. I tried that way for a change of pace 2 weeks ago (and listing to GPS). Ugh.

Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
thanks on I 95 route

Thanks to all for the routing info going from Melbourne, Fl. to N. H.

Looks like the I 95 to 17 to 66 to 81 and east of 84...

I've tried the 209 along the Deleware River route...a wonderful ride, and no trucks...but many construction sites....

Thanks again everyone....great forum..!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you really want to avoid congestion, go I 95 to Richmond, VA. West on I 84 to I 81, then north to Scranton, PA, I 84 to Hartford, CT, I 91 north. You'll avoid Washington, Baltimore, Wilmington, Philadelphia and New York City.

One change to the above. At Richmond, it is I-64 West to I-81. But, that is how I would go. It is a nice scenic ride too.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #19

When you go through Mass and your gps takes you thru Boston Just say no.. Propane, not suppose to go through the tunnel.... Stay on 95 north or 495. 495 being the less congested but being the longer route. And forget 95 north at the split if it is during the week between 6;30am til about 9am and 4:00 til about 7. During those time 495 will be much better...
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #20

"I use rt 17 north at Fredericksburg va. To I-66 to I-81 north nice ride"

We use this route every year to travel to and from the Florida east coast. That area of Virginia is some very pretty countryside. Roads are in good condition but you may be slowed by construction around Scranton ( or you may not depending on what is being worked on at any given time!! But you will only be slowed not stopped).
Old 05-03-2012, 09:18 PM   #21
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
FYI... Anyone headed south on I81, south of I66 the south bound lanes are restricted for a bridge repair. The backup has been about 20 miles long in the evening. I travel 81 every day to work. Mornings there are no measurable delays but by the afternoon and early evening it is in bad shape. If you are traveling southbound durring the day you may want to consider I66 to 17 to 95 or 66 to 17 to 29 depending on your destination. don't even try to use 11 as an alternate. It is in worse shape from everyone trying to get around the backup.

I hope this helps someone.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubmed98 View Post
The sarcastic answer is north of Richmond there are no good ways...Unfortunatly it is closer to reality than any of us wish.
I resemble that remark...........!

Please correct that to say "Between Richmond and Hartford Ct".

Once you are past NYC-Hartford Ct. anytime of day and start north taking Rt 90 Mass Pike to 495 and then back onto 95 is much better. Use your head though. There is peak time traffic in a couple of stretches

Once you reach Maine, you will be able to go in most any direction at anytime of day. The drive is well worth it. Please come to Maine, enjoy Vacationland and return often.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw1944 View Post
I"m heading north to N. H. in a few weeks from Melbourne, Fl. and would like to avoid the lousy roads and high cost of tolls north of D.C....I'm looking for the best route north to avoid those costly tolls and lousy roads...34 ft., Fleetwood Flair V-10 pulling a toad...

Thanks...
I think you have been given good advise. 95-17-66-81 84--90-290-495-95.Someone mentioned construction near Scranton- Wilkes Barre Pa, I have traveled that area several times since 1985. Never made a trip through that area without construction. The old trucker told you that.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #24

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
I agree. This is the fastest route I have found.

The other thing I would add is to definitely use 295 around Richmond. It may be a little longer but it is less traffic and smoother than going straight thru on 95. I tried that way for a change of pace 2 weeks ago (and listing to GPS). Ugh.
Actually, this is also REALLY good advise. Right now VDOT is in the process of replacing 11 bridges over 95 in Richmond, and ALL the work is being done at night. 95 is backed up for miles between 9 PM and 5 AM, and it is REALLY congested during daytime hours. 295 will take you around this and dump you back on 95 just south of Ashland. If you decide to take the 64 W route, 295 will also eventually take you 64 W bypassing Richmond.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kchadw1944
Thanks to all for the routing info going from Melbourne, Fl. to N. H.

Looks like the I 95 to 17 to 66 to 81 and east of 84...

I've tried the 209 along the Deleware River route...a wonderful ride, and no trucks...but many construction sites....

Thanks again everyone....great forum..!
You can't go wrong with this route. I've been traveling this route for 40 years! (live in VA and visit family in PA and OH) The first time we took our TT to visit the family, I considered another route, but felt more comfortable with this one. BTW, while on Rt 17, watch for Hugo's Skating RInk. They have a big roller skate sitting out front. For all 40 years, this has been our landmark! We know we are 2-1/2 hrs from home, coming or going, when we see the skate. Now that we have cell phones, we always phone each other when we get there! (Driving north, it will be on your right)

Safe travels!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #26

so the common route seems to be west of DC...what about taking 64 to virginia beach and then the bridges and tunnels into delaware and maryland? I've been that way only twice in all my years traveling and the roads seem a lot better and just as scenic. I was just wondering how much longer it would be to go that way and then pick up I 95. I've driven the eastern routes for 30 years and it seems like I'm always in a hurry and time is everything, but if you've just spent all winter in florida, maybe an extra day on the road isn't as bad as facing all the traffic. NY and Pa roads are rough no matter what route you take. Just a thought.
kennyb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyb79 View Post
so the common route seems to be west of DC...what about taking 64 to virginia beach and then the bridges and tunnels into delaware and maryland? I've been that way only twice in all my years traveling and the roads seem a lot better and just as scenic. I was just wondering how much longer it would be to go that way and then pick up I 95. I've driven the eastern routes for 30 years and it seems like I'm always in a hurry and time is everything, but if you've just spent all winter in florida, maybe an extra day on the road isn't as bad as facing all the traffic. NY and Pa roads are rough no matter what route you take. Just a thought.
It is a pretty ride. The bridge tunnel will set you back $28.00 for the toll. But when you get to the NY area, you are still stuck with the traffic.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW

It is a pretty ride. The bridge tunnel will set you back $28.00 for the toll. But when you get to the NY area, you are still stuck with the traffic.
Not to mention, the risk of not being able to go across the bridge tunnel due to wind restrictions. Driving across the mouth of the Chesapeake can get windy and they will restrict campers and not let them cross. It's unpredictable, but it is a scenic route.