Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 06:55 PM   #1

I can't Believe it!!

I bought a 2000 Damon Challenger two weeks ago and I have yet to hit the road yet! Some of it is because I am taking care of some issues with repairs and modifications but I have been amazed at all the STUFF you need to have on board! The PO took all his fly away gear including the black water and gray water dump tubes. I will say reading threads in the forums here has helped get me up to speed. I have one or two items coming in the mail and I should be ready. In my younger days I would have grabbed a six pack of beer and a bag of chips and launched. Its amazing no matter what you do there is a group of folks some where that has a forum about it and if your'e smart you'll do your homework. Thanks folks for helping me with my homework.

Mark

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome! You will be out exploring in no time. oh yea, you probably didn't want someone else's stinky slinky anyway.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #3

welcome. you might want to camp in your driveway a night or two as you will be surprised what you have forgotten.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congrats on the new rig! Don't worry about what you'll forget; there's a Walmart in almost every town. Get out there and have fun. (And like Mojo said, you really don't want someone else's used stinky slinky!)

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:42 PM   #5

Don't forget the beer and chips. They will come in handy soon.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Welcome! You will be out exploring in no time. oh yea, you probably didn't want someone else's stinky slinky anyway.
Amen to that!

Congratulations!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #7

Yea the mattress was a biggy with the wife. I can't do the driveway routine. I would but I live in West "By God" Virginia and I have a big driveway but only a small portion level. I can't get my rig into my own driveway. The good news is I have a humongous hanger so it never has to be outside unless I am using it.
Kind of a blessing that it will be cooler by the time I get out. The rear A/C must have crapped out on the PO and he just removed it and installed a vent! So I will have a while before I have to do the research and install a new one. The forward unit keeps it livable but I know it won't do the job when the heat comes back next year.
One thing I was thinking about. I bought a new fresh water hose 25'. Will that be enough length? I did get a regulator as well as a 90* fitting.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

A 25' hose will cover almost every CG. We had a 15-footer and never needed anything longer in 4 years.

I feel for your humidity issues. We lived in Tidewater VA for 3 of the most miserable years of our lives. We're ex-pat Brits, where a Daily Telegraph headline once read "72 degrees again tomorrow and no relief in sight". Tidewater was a major shock.

We emigrated to western Washington back in the late 1960's and came back from Tidewater in 1974 and have been here since, now in retirement in a small seaside town.

Today was clear blue skies, full sunshine, 76 degrees and 25% humidity. At 19:30, it's cooled off to about 66 degrees and is still crystal clear. Can't beat it, except in late Jan/ Feb when there are endless days of "800 broken, 1500 overcast, 2 miles vis, rain and fog". It's worth putting up with it for the spring/summer/fall, though.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymark View Post
I bought a 2000 Damon Challenger two weeks ago and I have yet to hit the road yet! Some of it is because I am taking care of some issues with repairs and modifications but I have been amazed at all the STUFF you need to have on board! The PO took all his fly away gear including the black water and gray water dump tubes. I will say reading threads in the forums here has helped get me up to speed. I have one or two items coming in the mail and I should be ready. In my younger days I would have grabbed a six pack of beer and a bag of chips and launched. Its amazing no matter what you do there is a group of folks some where that has a forum about it and if your'e smart you'll do your homework. Thanks folks for helping me with my homework.

Mark
"The PO took all his fly away gear including the black water and gray water dump tubes." PO was either extremely cheap or loved the smell of there own...
Old 09-12-2015, 10:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
A 25' hose will cover almost every CG. We had a 15-footer and never needed anything longer in 4 years.

I feel for your humidity issues. We lived in Tidewater VA for 3 of the most miserable years of our lives. We're ex-pat Brits, where a Daily Telegraph headline once read "72 degrees again tomorrow and no relief in sight". Tidewater was a major shock.

We emigrated to western Washington back in the late 1960's and came back from Tidewater in 1974 and have been here since, now in retirement in a small seaside town.

Today was clear blue skies, full sunshine, 76 degrees and 25% humidity. At 19:30, it's cooled off to about 66 degrees and is still crystal clear. Can't beat it, except in late Jan/ Feb when there are endless days of "800 broken, 1500 overcast, 2 miles vis, rain and fog". It's worth putting up with it for the spring/summer/fall, though.
I DO NOT miss my 5 years in Virgina Beach at all. Miserable weather, miserable traffic, and the most asinine taxes and inspections and ........breathe........ok....

Oh, where was I? Oh yeah - I was going to say if you hadn't already, start grabbing all the cool apps out there. There's an app for overnight friendly wal-marts vs. the rogue "not welcome" joints. Various campground rating/finding apps, etc.

I suppose if I had my stuff together when I started typing this I woulda had a list of suggestions handy. But then I read "Tidewater" and "miserable" in the same sentence, and got myself all jacked around, I dunno what's going on now.......ok, breathe.......

Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Get a splitter for water...nice to have when you wanna hose stuff of and stay hooked up. I also have a spray bottle with a light bleach solution for treating hoses..when leaving CG...Get a volt tester...lol...I've been using mine alot trouble shooting...
RVM #124
We're the new guys you see at Campground......
2001 Four Winds/ Thor P32 Hurricane 8.1L 31k miles
MarkEmerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:53 PM   #12

The more you use it the more fun stuff you will find to buy, Congrats and have many safe and happy travels.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #13

50 amp to 30 amp pigtail or if your 30 amp then a 30 amp to 120v adapter