Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2012, 04:31 AM   #15
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
our local radiator shop pours the old coolant right down the drain into the city sewer system. I asked the owner about this and he said the city approves of this kind of disposal. You would be really shocked if you knew what all goes down a city's sewer system. When I change the coolant on my diesel trucks, I drain it all out then flush with clean water. Then add a cup of tide laundry detergent and run for 30 minutes or sometimes all day on a job. Then drain and fresh water flush. Then fill with Cat brand premixed antifreeze. Use it in all brands of engines as it is made with distiller water and is good for about 5 years or 500,000 miles. I usually try to change them around every two years, then you never have to worry about the PH level or add conditioners. Antifreeze is cheap, new pistons and liners cost mega bucks.

One could look at it as, the oil came out of the ground, why not put it back in the ground. Pump it back down to where the current pickups are or filter it back through the sands. W0uld that work?

2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #16
They put all kinds of things down deep commercial disposal wells. Ink, acid, blood, you name it. The domestic oil producers put millions of barrels of salt water down disposal wells every day. And sometimes oil and BS&W are also injected down wells. Very common practice. They also do frac jobs and acid jobs on oil wells to open up the formations and hence produce more oil. The earth can clean up about anything. All the water on earth has been here forever, and has been recycled a gazillion times. Coors is made from trout pi$$, and Bud from catfish pi$$!

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE
Coors is made from trout pi$$, and Bud from catfish pi$$!
LOL. Living in Detroit all my life (home of Strohs back then) their commercials touted it was "Fire Brewed" us locals laughed and said it has to be because of all the crud in the Detroit River. Back then you could walk on it
John & Clare - Buck & Zeus - Jack & Husky
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38P
Towd: 2 HD Streetglides
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
I'm gonna start digging a hole. Maybe I can get that statute of limitations out of my attic sometime soon.
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
grafxman......As others stated, it pushes down and turns. Look at other radiators. You have two tabs on opposite sides of the filler neck. They're graduated with a cutout at each end. Your cap has two tabs. When you twist it on, the cap tabs slide along the graduated edges on the filler neck, depressing the spring in the cap. Once it gets to the end of it's travel, the cap tabs drop into the cutouts and lock. With an old cap, crud builds up underneath and won't allow that cap to be depressed far enough for the cap tabs to slip out of the cutouts in the filler neck.

You really need to get the old cap off and replace it. If you have a Dremel, you can grind off the edge of the cap where the tabs are, releasing it. You might even be able to pry the tabs outward enough to release it.

Once you get the cap off, I think you would be wasting your time flushing out a radiator that is 25 years old if it's never been serviced before. If it were mine, I would remove the radiator and take it to a shop for rebuild. If you're handy, those radiators can generally be dropped out the bottom. Have the radiator repaired/recored, replace the hoses and thermostat and flush the system once everything is installed. Make sure it holds water without leaking and then drain it one last time and refill with coolant.

The piece of mind that your coolant system is up to snuff would be well worth it.
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #20
Typically they turn 1/4 of a turn with only slight or no downward pressure. They actually then need to be pushed down further to continue the removal process. If it only turns 1/4 turn then hangs up, it is not depressed far enough to turn the cap past the "lock tabs".
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
I would like to thank everyone here for all their help. I finally decided to take it to Jiffy Lube. There were 2 guys there. I told them the cap was going to be very hard to remove. First the young, muscular looking guy tried it. After his eyeballs popped out of his head he turned it over to the older less muscular looking guy. He said "no problem". He casually strolled over to his tool box and removed his "radiator cap pliers":

Lisle 20900 Radiator Cap Pliers, Angled - Toolfetch.com

He applied the pliers to the cap, grunted a few times and off came the cap! The cap is now in the trash and a new cap is installed which I can easily remove. They also flushed the radiator and installed "100,000 mile coolant".
Check out my photos and videos at:
grafxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #22
Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
An '83? hmmm. you could be trying to open a real can of worms there. Sometimes it is better to let them sleeping dogs lie.

If nothing was leaking, the overflow tank always had the same amount of coolant in it and you never have to add, and it doesn't overheat...
I'd leave it be.

Any one of the above, yes, that cap has to come off. But be ready. you'll probably be replacing the radiator. All the rubber hoses for sure. Thermostat? you betcha. belts? yup.
I agree.. If it has never been done, leave it alone now.

Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote