Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #1

I can't get gasoline into my motorhome

I have a 1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 35' gasoline motorhome that I've extensively remodeled. It is a Ford Chassis with a Ford V-10. Recently it has been difficult to fuel her. What happens is I get 1/10 of a gallon pumped and then the gas station nozzle shuts off. No matter how slow I try to pump the gas no more will go in.

I took it to a respected semi truck shop here in Panama City, FL. They inspected all facets of the fuel system insuring all hoses and vents were clear, the splashback flap in the tank was not stuck and the evap system wasn't clogged all with no results.

Finally they even tried disconnecting the evap system hoping that would allow the fuel to flow into the tank. No good.

I've read there is a solenoid at the top of the fuel fill neck that when bad will prevent filling with fuel. I have no clue.

Any and all ideas are appreciated. Without gas the remodeled RV is a dead horse and I don't think insurance will cover it.

Thank you

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:06 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tank pressure has no where to go due to modern venting (smog control), except the main filler vent, so if it used to fill, but now does not, there is a problem in the filler vent.

This assumes the main filler tube has not become kinked or blocked. There are no valves or such in the main filler pipe. Evaporation seal is provided by the gas cap

I would snake the main filler pipe with a small tip metal snake (plumber's tool) that is clean and dry to ensure it is clear. Then the easiest way to clear the vent tube is to blow compressed air through it from the top, at the filler neck.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 04:30 PM   #3

Thanks

Thanks you All tubes were removed to ensure they aren't blocked. Something quick is happening since the fuel fill shuts off just like the tank is full but it isn't even close to full.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK...Is there a long horizontal run in the filler pipe under the RV?
Parts can sag over time and change the angle of the filler pipe.

The filler should have a free and down hill run from filler to tank...check the angles and correct any sag in the fuel path.

This is a current issue on one makers Super C, but since you say it used to work, something changed in the fuel path into the tank.

Best luck

P.S. I would ensure everything the shop reported. Sometimes there is a communications gap between the front of the shop and the guy in the back
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 PM   #5

The small hole on the fill nozzle tube draws air in while filling. The second it gets blocked the nozzle shuts.

Knowing that, maybe you can figure out what's blocking that hole that quick.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:03 PM   #6

Thanks

I'll check it out. I was able to put 28 gallons in it last week. Today...nothing
Old 08-07-2016, 05:05 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just to be sure...is the tank empty?

The filler vent should be exhausting (venting) vapors from the tank...NOT drawing air.

Normally, when the tank gets near full, fuel will travel up the vent, spray on the pump nozzle, and cause the pump to shut-off.

If drawing, then the vent is in a venturi situation...and working against trying to fill.
So if drawing, something is very wrong in how the vent is connected or working.

No other repairs will correct this issue until the main filler vent is plumbed and operating correctly.
I still suggest blowing out the filler vent from the filler neck with compressed air. It can't hurt anything (just don't use too high of air pressure that could damage the rubber pipe) and might blow-out what ever is preventing the tank from venting.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-07-2016, 05:19 PM   #8

Thanks Scarab0088

The tank is currently 1/2 full. I stopped at an RV dealer in Amarillo with fuel fill issues. They said my vent was at the 6 o'clock position and was being filled by fuel. They moved it to the 11 o'clock position. Why would I be able to add 28 gallons last week and nothing this week? It is baffling.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, baffling!

The vent pipe connection at the tank and at the filler pipe mouth "should be" hard mounted and not adjustable (6 to 11 oclock). What did they move?

Something either sagged (through age or a lost suspension mount) or got plugged by debris in the fuel system (yes, that happens)

I would venture that the previous service described might have suffered a gap in communication between the front counter and the guy in the back
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 08-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #10

My fuel system was ripped out by a blown tire. The new system was installed. Since then trouble filling. The RV dealer said the fill system behind the fuel door was installed incorrectly with the vent at the 6 o'clock position
Old 08-07-2016, 06:24 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Now the rest of the story....'

Who ever "fixed" your fuel system needs to correct this issue.

Take it back to them and tell them the problem
Old 08-07-2016, 07:13 PM   #12

I wish I could take it back....too far to travel. It just needs a knowledgeable person to make it right. How hard can fuel filling be.......it's gravity.. :-)
Old 08-08-2016, 07:54 AM   #13

It is all in the details.

Whenever anything changes shortly after "something" is done then that something should always be in front of any conversation.

If service folks are aware of work being done then they should look for mistakes as we all are human.

If not aware of work being done then issues related to time or fatigue are investigated which wastes time and costs money and as discovered does not solve the issue.

Been in service for close to 40 years and this is very common.

Caused one myself as teenager at gas station who sold wrong gas cap...A cap for ab older vehicle that needed a vented cap and new cap was not vented.

Vehicle would run poorly after a distance but after being allowed to cool it would be fine.

And most trips were short enough not to matter.

Boss had it in the bay for a few days going crazy checking things and decided to flush out the tank.

Discovered the tank way smaller than original due to it bring crushed from the vacuum.

It was after this that the customer remembered that the problem started after he got the new cap...
Old 08-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
check the vent tube, they are a smaller hose and get pinched some times. Also, some states have recently changed their fuel pump heads. I'm up in Oregon and I could barely get the fuel into my coach due to the new style pump handles. I've had it for 18 years. Seems like the new handles are more sensitive to the lack of back pressure. Trick is to get the little fuel flap inside the filler neck open and seal up the back vent hose at the same time. The pump jocky couldn't figure it out, so I had to get out and make it work. had to get it in just the right position to get it to work.

Tags
gas, motorhome