Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I can't stop laughing right now ...

For the last nineteen days and nights, I've heard my neighbor slam his Mallard ultra-like trailer door.

Tonight, I'm listening to him fix it.

😂

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ill have to fix mine !! XD

Old 10-20-2016, 10:37 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club

At one campground a few years back - I watched a kid rip the door off the hinges.

It was too awkward for him, so it dropped and hit the trailer. Broke the door and scratched up the side. And it hit him as well.

All because he didn't want to be inside a 'crappy old trailer'. Looks like the trailer won that battle.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
What goes around comes around!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:23 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I saw him this morning. I said hello, and asked "Rough night?"

Got a look that could have killed. I offered to show how to easily and gently shut the door. Was told to mind my own business.

Oh, I plan to. 😂
Old 10-20-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

Karma will even the score.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM   #7
Pup

Texas Boomers Club
Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I offered to show how to easily and gently shut the door.
Ok, as a sometime door-slammer, what is the trick to closing the door quietly? I keep it lubricated, and it's not too bad, but if there's a trick, I'd like to know it. Especially since I am the one who will have to repair it.

Is it just to hold the handle up while shutting? I sometimes can't get it to latch well when I do that.

​Liz
Old 10-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

The door on my Suites closes/latches much better since I changed to a remote-operated lock. If your door fits correctly, then the only point of contact to make it need slamming/hard closes is the latch mechanism. You can lube this frequently, but what to use is a problem--it has to be greaseless to keep from getting on clothing.
I have noticed that MHs have seem to have much more sealing gaskets than a fiver, and require more effort to close the door.
The new lock has plated latchbolt and it closes much easier than the original system. But I still have to remember NOT to push it closed too hard--if I do that, there is always an immediate complaint from the other occupant of the Suites...
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:54 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pup View Post
Is it just to hold the handle up while shutting? I sometimes can't get it to latch well when I do that.

​Liz
You got it, pull it as shut as you can, with the door almost latched and the gaskets pretty well compressed, and then a firm tug to get the latch home. At this rate, the lock might last longer than the door!

If you cannot quickly and firmly tug the door so it latches after you've pulled it almost completely shut, then you might have mighty gaskets around the door, and they are fighting back. But I'll bet with the right technique, you can tell those gaskets who's boss!
Old 10-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #10
Pup

Texas Boomers Club
Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Thanks! I thought that might be it. I will try to remember

Liz
[moderator edit]
Old 10-22-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

I got tired of the slam also (on my own unit), so I decided to look at the latch. Took it out and found a lot of hardened grease in it. I never used a petroleum lube, so it must have been from the factory.

I noticed that it took a considerable effort to retract the catch and decided that the factory put in a heavy return spring to counteract the hardening grease that they also installed. What a way to avoid callbacks

Never the less, I removed the factory return spring and installed one with about half the tension commonly available at most hardware/box stores. Now my door closes just like a house door with no slamming required.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #12
IC2

I have been accused .... nah, never

At our usual CG, I was about to commit a homicide but then the folks across the road packed and went elsewhere. Between the entry door and the storage area hatches, they must have been slammed well over a hundred times in one morning - and I wasn't even using my hearing aids so it must have been loud. Of course the Mrs in that RV carried on an endless conversation at about 95dBa so I have to assume that they felt a little noise never bothered anyone else. The sad part - they were genuinely nice people otherwise
Old 10-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
... I wasn't even using my hearing aids ...
Maybe they weren't either?

My old man hated his hearing aids. Said they made everything sound worse. When I told him that is what the world sounded like now, he was just able to hear all the mess with the hearing aids, he stopped using them altogether. Kinda can't blame him.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:47 AM   #14
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Maybe they weren't either?

My old man hated his hearing aids. Said they made everything sound worse. When I told him that is what the world sounded like now, he was just able to hear all the mess with the hearing aids, he stopped using them altogether. Kinda can't blame him.
That falls somewhere in the category of "ignorance is bliss". I actually agree with your dad - but unfortunately my DW has a very soft voice ........ hmmm.