Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2011, 03:50 AM   #1

I Cracked my Awning Lock..... Help?

Hey its me again....the clutz of all clutzes....

on my "new to me" 1989 Southwind by Fleetwood....the adjustable awning tightener on the diagonal support was rusted in place.....i used wd-40 and let it soak a bit then used my locking pliers to loosen it....and........well I guess u know wat happened.

now i cannot lock the support in place and the screw is broken inside it

any ideas....??

also....using the eternabond tape on all my seams and around every roof vent, ac. etc...will have pics of it after this weekend.....wow at 100 bux a roll does anyone know a cheaper supplier of this awesome product......oh yeah and for my american friends our gas just kit $1.31 a litre....which is approximately $5.60 a gallon......
saltbeefjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2011, 04:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club

If it is the one I'm thinking of I have replaced mine more than once over my 40 plus years of RVing. They make a repair kit with 2 knobs and replacement nuts. Most RV places have them you have to cut the bolt part off then take the arm loose at the bottom of the arm slide the bad nut out and slide the new one in. The awning should hang from the bracket at the top. But I like to take a 2x4 and set it under neath the awning at a little angle just make sure it stays in place on the end I'm working on.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi saltbeefjunk,
If the bolt is stuck in the threads, you may need an easy out. They can be purchased at your favorite hardware store. Use the correct drill size for the easy out you will use. Drill a hole through the bolt. The easy out is a left handed thread. Screw it into the hole you drilled. When tight keep going and the bolt should back its' way out.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club

Are refering to the arm that pivots from the top out to the roller. When you extend the awning you put tention on this and tighten the bolt with the black knob?
Old 06-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Awning Knob
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Awning fix

That's the one. Any that I have changed I just pull and hold the knob out toward the coach. Take a hack saw and cut through the bolt as close to the arm without leaving saw marks. I Prop a 2x4 up at the stop just to hold in place. The nut with the broken bolt should slide down and out of the arm. I take the arm loose at the top so after the bolt is in place I can damage the end of the threads so that it can't come out. I'm always open to a better way to do anything.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
When you order the replacement knobs, order another set as well. Coleman-Faulkner no longer makes awnings, and hasn't for several years. I've bought two sets of everything that could break just in case.

I'm assuming you have a Faulkner awning by the parts listing in the thread.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 AM   #8

I should make myself a little clearer, sorry, it is the one that tightens the extension that hangs from the top of the awning bracket and extends up the main awning arm to click into the top of the main awning arm. i have to tighten the nut to hold the extension in place and when the nut is loosened the arm retracts into itself and hangs down and the awning just rolls up again.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneldbrat View Post

Are refering to the arm that pivots from the top out to the roller. When you extend the awning you put tention on this and tighten the bolt with the black knob?
yes that is the one