Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2017, 06:55 AM   #141

An Inverter takes 12 volts and inverts it to 120 volts.....a Converter takes 120 volts and converts it to 12 volts......why people can't keep this straight.......???......and a converter also has a battery charger ......just to keep this in simple terminology.....The battery(s) supply power to keep the ignition boards in a furnace, water heater, and in this rv, the fridge ready to use whether or not it's plugged in to shore power....to size for how big an invertor, here's a tid-bit...12 watts on 12 volts = 1 amp....so a person needs to know the wattage of whatever will be used on battery power...so, when I powered up my micro this morning, as I have a readout, this one took 15 amps, and this is on 120 volts....from my chart..1 amp 0n 110 volts = 110 watts
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #142

electricity is a Whole other world..

the world woks on AC as its able to travel thousands of miles inside wire....... but Not store-able.

DC is a short run device.. but is store-able... aka batteries.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:01 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
Oh my lord, why isn't this easier to make sense of???!!! Geez o pete!!!
This does that and if that isn't this way, then those won't be the other way and on and on
OP

Have you read the information in the links posted in post #81?

They will give you a basic understanding of how the various systems interact. It may reduce the amount of . And it's free.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Keep it simple, just disconnect the batteries.

Your pictures show a converter NOT an inverter/charger.

A converter is a battery eliminator and will power your 12volt system. That's why I said to check to see if its running.
It had been until this bitter snap.
And now its to f**in cold to do crapola IMO

Like I said, all of that is exactly as when I brought it home and plugged it in because I had other things to deal with wayyy more important and demanding.
Plus, I have basically always thought it was plugged in for all power or
not plugged in and well, who knows what I thought.........
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleEEE View Post
OP

Have you read the information in the links posted in post #81?

They will give you a basic understanding of how the various systems interact. It may reduce the amount of . And it's free.

Good luck.
No but I have them opened and waiting for when I am not driving my life away for my job or tending to kid's appointment or sleeping a day and a half after a tooth extraction, etc.....
Old 12-07-2017, 10:28 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
so it's really no different then the inverter/charger and batteries you're trying to ignore.
Wasn't trying to ignore just was busy with other things like my plumbing adventure you so graciously helped me with, LOL
Everything came on when I plugged it in upon arrival home back in March, so I got busy tending to other things in order of importance I guess I would call it. Inside plumbing was more important to work out first, now comes figuring out how to keep things on when I cut the umbilical cord. Then tag and tires, then trip planning, etc.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
The connections to the batteries NEED to be in good shape even if you are plugged in......that’s because the lights really run off the batteries....

The plugged-in part just supplies current to the batteries so that they don’t discharge.
If that is true, that says a WHOLE lot for those poor batteries considering like I said, they have looked exactly like that from minute one.
If I had thought they were even any good from the get go, I would have dealt with them prior to now. I assumed like the engine battery, they were no good and not powering anything anyway, so I dealt with more important things.
It looks like I might get enough warmth here in about 4 hours to go out and see what kind they are and undo them and clean out the compartment and replace them. YAY!!! I replaced my car battery about 4 months ago, I should be ok, LOL
Old 12-09-2017, 08:35 AM   #148
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
If that is true, that says a WHOLE lot for those poor batteries considering like I said, they have looked exactly like that from minute one.

If I had thought they were even any good from the get go, I would have dealt with them prior to now. I assumed like the engine battery, they were no good and not powering anything anyway, so I dealt with more important things.

It looks like I might get enough warmth here in about 4 hours to go out and see what kind they are and undo them and clean out the compartment and replace them. YAY!!! I replaced my car battery about 4 months ago, I should be ok, LOL

Like my original post said.....pay close attention to all the electrical connections at or near the batteries.....not just the condition of the batteries themselves.

If the electrical connections were all making good contact, the converter supplies the power even if the batteries are in sad shape.

I suspect one or more wires is corroded, which was my suspicion when you said your overhead lights were not working anymore.

Did you get the overhead lights working again ?
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
When I'm sitting on the curbside under the awning while camping and running the genny and there is little wind, or certainly when the breeze is blowing the wrong way, I can smell the exhaust, which I know is not healthy. I put up the Gen-turi, in 5 mins and now don't smell the exhaust.
I take it you aren't in a campground or your genny is "whisper quiet"?
Old 12-09-2017, 08:46 AM   #150

[QUOTE=bob caldwell;3933337]An Inverter takes 12 volts and inverts it to 120 volts.....a Converter takes 120 volts and converts it to 12 volts......why people can't keep this straight.......???...... [/QUOTE/]

I don't know. Why is it Playgirl has boys and Playboy has girls and we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway
Old 12-09-2017, 08:56 AM   #151

Because your in the wrong part of the country?.......LOL
Old 12-09-2017, 09:04 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Like my original post said.....pay close attention to all the electrical connections at or near the batteries.....not just the condition of the batteries themselves.

If the electrical connections were all making good contact, the converter supplies the power even if the batteries are in sad shape.

I suspect one or more wires is corroded, which was my suspicion when you said your overhead lights were not working anymore.

Did you get the overhead lights working again ?
No. I repeat, It has been BITTER cold, two different doc appointments, a tooth extraction, and driving all over this entire state delivering people's meds and supplies and barely enough time for some sleep in between all that.
I CAN do it or at least up to a certain point. If I start and reach a point where I am stuck, I won't have anyone to really call on that will show up to help me finish so that is another reason I haven't started.
This was my electric cord situation inside my sewer bay when I came home.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sewage bay.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	185221
Zoom in over there on the left.
Several members here told me I needed to deal with that and I did! I yanked it completely out moving the unit for the tree trimmers. But I did do it, I've changed dryer cords before and only once out of 3 had it not go right due to an unrecognized set up.
In this cord case, I was fine doing the first 2 cords but the green one confused me. I got the new ring casing thing and everything else but forgot to clamp the ends down. So I had everything done right and well for when my now apparently former mechanics friend came by to reinstall my water pump for me.
I was proud for what I had accomplished at least. That reminds me, I need to take a photo of the finished job.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Because your in the wrong part of the country?.......LOL
Not where the playgirl/boy is concerned I am not, LOL!

Now send some of that warmth over here dammit!!!!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:31 AM   #154

I'll get right on that, but might take awhile to get it thereClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170208_124004734.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	185225

Tags
generac, generator