Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 06:34 PM   #113

I know that....but the regulator is the controller...been doing this stuff, not writing about it, for some 60 years
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
The reference to check the trailer plug was because of the post about how big somebody said how big their alt was......sounded to me that because they've got 120 amp alternator, that that amperage is seen thru-out the entire system....and for those that bad mouth someone's ideas, need to BUTT out....there's a work around for every situation
There's a work around for every situation Yep, with near unlimited time and resources. Once upon a time, we put a 455 CI with a T-10 BW transmission in a Chevrolet Vega. Ended up putting a 9 inch Ford rear end under it too.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:03 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
The reference to check the trailer plug was because of the post about how big somebody said how big their alt was......sounded to me that because they've got 120 amp alternator, that that amperage is seen thru-out the entire system....and for those that bad mouth someone's ideas, need to BUTT out....there's a work around for every situation
In case this matters
Click image for larger version

Name:	electric reminder.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	184869
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:09 AM   #116

All this is harder to understand when I see a TT with not 2 but FOUR rooftop ac units and then another one a mile away with only 1. I guess I don't want to know what they have for a generator to run that!
I realize I am not a TT but a class A and older to boot but still.
I drive all over the entire state for my job and NEVER see anything but obvious "rock star" tour buses out after dark. Smart IMO
Old 12-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Forget about running heaters or air conditioning on battery power.....not going to happen unless you have $10,000 to spend on lithium batteries, etc, etc.

Plug into park power when the weather demands air conditioning or heating.

When boondocking, the batteries will run your lights, television, water pump, charge your phone, but not much more.....then you run the generator several hours in morning and evening to charge them back up for the next night.

Carbon monoxide poisoning is a real threat.....the generator should be as far away from the RV as practical.

Built in generators will use a “gen-turi” pipe when parked to get the exhaust up and away to be much safer.

Attachment 184811
Despite popular opinion, I am not trying to be argumentative, but I have NEVER ever seen anything like your photo on an RV ever. And believe me, I have been eyeballing RV's all over for years on end.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:52 AM   #118

The Gen-turi is actually pretty common - most people don't leave the Gen-turi attached while traveling, although I'm sure someone has tried. They are made to be attached after you arrive at your campsite. Even if you are camped far away from someone it is still needed to get the exhaust up and away from you also. I have one and really like it.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...t-system/14041
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:15 AM   #119

You will see the Gen-turi thing in close quarters camping. I've never seen them in dispersed camping.

Here is a link to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Gen-Tur..._1512562194657

Product Description

Camco's RV Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust Venting System is designed for close quarters at RV rallies and tailgate the parties that create a need for noise as well as exhaust fume reduction. This Gen-turi diverts nasty fumes away from the ground, where they won't be inhaled by neighboring RVers. It directs generator exhaust above the roof line while reducing noise and weighs only nine lbs. This system is easy to install and disconnects quickly.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:16 AM   #120

exhaust from burning any Fuel is deadly....

Home hot water heaters. Furnaces, generators, cooking stoves... all kill people every day....

death from car exhaust kill in the winter... parked in heavy traffic.

not something to be careless about.. Safe and Extra Safe...

I know many motorhomes do not have exhaust up the wall.. but out from under a bumper.. not a good idea... being Parked.. a breeze the wrong way.. and sick or dead.

I can say this... as I am a retired auto mechanic.. 45 years.. with many cars inside building "Running".... even with exhaust Fans... never is free of exhaust inside building.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #121

Now I have realized all my overhead lighting has quit on me.
Only things plugged in to the lower half work.
Checked breakers, nothing changed.
These photos are everything having to do with power as it has been ever since I arrived home from purchase.

Name:	20171206_120637.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	184901

Name:	20171206_120641.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	184902

Name:	20171206_120759.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	316.7 KB
ID:	184903

Name:	20171206_120814_001.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	184904

Name:	20171206_120959.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	184907

Name:	20171206_120843.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	184906

Name:	20171206_120809.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	184905

(stupid upside down attaching)
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #122
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post

Only things plugged in to the lower half work.

Checked breakers, nothing changed.

These photos are everything having to do with power as it has been ever since I arrived home from purchase.

Attachment 184901

Attachment 184902

Attachment 184903

Attachment 184904

Attachment 184907

Attachment 184906

Attachment 184905

(stupid upside down attaching)

Lights should be getting power from your batteries....even if other sources of power fail. Check the voltage of the batteries with a voltmeter as a first step.

Fuses not circuit breakers should be checked next.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
The disadvantages outweigh the advantages. You wouldnt want to run it while the coach is in motion due to excessive heat in the same compartment as the fuel. Not a good idea. This means you can only run it when parked. I use mine all the time while travelling for the air conditioners. Just think you are really limiting yourself by attempting to install a unit that was built for a different purpose. jmho
Actually, the fuel tank is way in the back and filled over on the right side of the unit but yes, I do know there are fuel lines and other such business running thru that area/the whole thing.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
When boondocking you do need that generator to recharge all those batteries.

In addition, generators are used to power things the batteries can't, or at least not for very long, such as the air conditioner or microwave.
Can it be removed from the frame and brought from another storage bay when needed? There is one 2 inch yellow wire running from the gen to the frame (bolted) as tho some kind of ground wire maybe that keeps me unable to answer the question myself. Otherwise it seems the frame and wheels are what make it more of a monster than what it needed to be.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #125

Quote:
This probably won't fix this immediate problem but, your 12 volt battery connections are in terrible shape. The battery clamps need to be removed, then they and the battery posts need to be cleaned.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #126

Monaco Owners Club
I'm late to the party here but I read all of the OP posts I think;

Trying to summarize;

Want to travel after everything is working and like many others you are on a fairly tight budget.

Roof top AC don't work. (could be easy fix or could be toast)

Have learned that it's not reasonable to expect the microwave, space heaters, or window AC units to run off of batteries.

Would love to find a $400-500 dollar RV gen and have it installed.

Included pics which show less than perfect wiring/batteries, etc.

Recently the converter or at least the lights stopped working.

My suggestions;

Pick up a multi-meter and a kill-a-watt meter from Harbor freight. You will have no problem learning how to use them if you don't already. Lot's of youtube videos.

Get the converter (12-15VDC) side of things working.

Consider getting a HF 3500 inverter generator if you can lift 100#'s. If not, than get one of the HF2000 inverter generators and get another one in the spring. I installed my HF3500 in the old Onan bay. It's not perfect. I installed a fan to help cool it as well. The main thing is I have a place to store the gen that doesn't encourage theft. I have used it while on the road but I prefer to park and set it on the ground. It's very quiet. It's not a Honda which means I don't know how long it will last. There's a chance I could grab a buddy and come over and help some time? My wife and the "list" has me pretty busy during the Holidays though.

Just remembered; We have our old converter if yours bit the dust. It's not great but would be a stop gap.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generac, generator