Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

I got a great deal on a Generac Champion Generator today

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171126_225753[1].jpg
Views:	615
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	183996

Name:	20171126_225818[1].jpg
Views:	653
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	183997
$575 but I gave him 6 because he delivered it to me. Brand spanking clean, over a half gallon of treated fuel, easy starting and sounded great too. Not horribly loud.

Needing help on how to put it in the bay and attach it to the inverter and or batteries in the bays to the left of this bay please

Name:	20171126_110648_001[1].jpg
Views:	594
Size:	366.7 KB
ID:	183998

Thanks!!
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #2

Its a portable generator. It needs to be out in the open. RV generators are designed for running in a compartment.

Exhaust will need to be redesigned so it blows away from the RV. It may overheat, from lack of air flow, if run in the compartment.

How will you get gas into it ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:48 AM   #3

May not be "too horribly loud" right now but it'll never be quieter. As time goes on it will get louder.

That was a good deal but not a generator for an RV I think.
richamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:52 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll need to heavily modify what you have to work inside a below floor compartment of an RV. Biggest problems are going to be cooling and road water when on the move in the rain. A permanent installation inside a compartment just isn't going to work otherwise. It will quickly overheat when running or short out when it gets misted with rain water thru any ventilation openings. Now if you are willing to give up using it when moving down the road then this might not be as hard as it looks.

First up come up with a way to make the compartment splash proof but with a removable floor. And don't worry about venting. Close it up as best you can. If you could also make the floor strong enough to support the weight of the generator but still removable that would be most helpful with my idea. Might need to make the area bigger in height also so measure twice, cut and weld once. When the floor is removed you'll want the front and bottom of the compartment completely open.

Once you have that problem solved install a pickup truck spare tire winch in the ceiling of the compartment. May need to beef up the ceiling to support the weight. When the generator is need remove the floor and winch it down to the ground then wheel it a safe distance away and plug it into using your shore power cable with an adaptor for the 30 amp twist lock outlet.

RV generators are a bear to work on sometimes. Being able to remove it is an added bonus. Second bonas would be if you could come up with a better muffler. To your camping neighbors it's going to sound like they are camped behind the jet blast deflectors on a carrier flight deck and there's a F/A-18 getting launched at full throttle with afterburners lit.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

You don't say if you have a 30 amp RV, but keep in mind that the 30 amp outlet on the generator is a 30 amp, 120/240 volt receptacle. You need to be very carefully plugging a 30 amp 120 volt cord into a 30 amp 120/240 outlet.

Available power is going to be a bit less then 25 amps on each leg. There is no way to get 30 amps at 120 volts.

If you have a 50 amp RV, you will be able to use more of the generators available power.
Here are the adaptors needed, depending on your shore cord.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PowerFit...3055/203213234

http://www.bigdaddyrvparts.com/12-30...r_p_26934.html
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Portable generators are not designed to work in an enclosed space . Overheating and chance of a fire is the main concern. The fuel tank should not be located in the generator compartment . The exhaust will have to go down and out the side or back of the motorhome.
RV generators are designed to have the cooling air travel over the engine and muffler then out the bottom.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:12 AM   #7

A word of advice, Don't do mods you don't know how to do yourself. It will cost you more in cash and frustration in the long run. I have used those Generac 5500 generators on jobsites for the better part of 30 years. Nothing pees off the neighbors more than a contractor firing up his Generac at 7am. In a closed space under a motorhome I can assure you it will be "horribly" loud. With a little searching and patience you could have a found a used RV generator for the same money.
RickNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
And once again, someone ignoring the multiple threads on not using an open contractor's generator for an RV.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:13 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Contractor grade generator not an inverter generator so not really that good of a deal. It will run wide open all the time and create a ton of heat and noise in that bay. The exhaust will also be an issue and it might even suck all the air out of the bay unless you create enough vents. I would sell it and buy what you really needed to start with.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 06:49 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmm, I got my 5500 watt Generac as a returned item at HD for $500 two years ago. that was a good deal.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #11

I've got a GP5500, it's a great generator but if your going to run it in an RV park you won't make many friends. I use mine on job sites and as a backup generator for my house. When camping I use my Champion 3100 inverter.
Not trying to brag (well, maybe) but I got that Generac at HD about 5 years ago on a closeout for $299. I wish now that I bought all 5 that they had.
Nrbsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Its a portable generator. It needs to be out in the open. RV generators are designed for running in a compartment.

Exhaust will need to be redesigned so it blows away from the RV. It may overheat, from lack of air flow, if run in the compartment.

How will you get gas into it ?
As I stated, WITHOUT the cage and wheels, it is quite compact.
I am not a complete idiot that I cannot "remodel" the compartment in such a way that the exhaust would not be "building up" and for starting and refilling purposes.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrbsr View Post
I've got a GP5500, it's a great generator but if your going to run it in an RV park you won't make many friends. I use mine on job sites and as a backup generator for my house. When camping I use my Champion 3100 inverter.
Not trying to brag (well, maybe) but I got that Generac at HD about 5 years ago on a closeout for $299. I wish now that I bought all 5 that they had.
My main intent is to use it for recharging the house batteries of which I will have enough to power the items needed at any given time.
As for RV parks, it will depend on if anyone else is running one or doing anything else to "disturb the peace" not that I am a if you can't beat em, join em type person mind you.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #14

Tags
generac, generator