Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hello, Jeff!

I am also 56, was forced to retire a few years ago due to an illness. One of the doctors at the Mayo Clinic told me the number one cause of death among retired folks is "retirement". I got his message a year later when I realized how bored I was while waiting for my wifey to retire from nursing. Now, we just find something new to do everyday, and are either on an adventure, or planning one!

Good luck, stay busy, and let me know if you need a place to store any of your toys. I will be happy to exercise them for you. . . . .

Bruce & Judy, living the dream in Salida, CO!
2005 Nat'l Dolphin W22 Chassis, 2004 Jeep Liberty
"Let's Roll 'em, Let's Roll 'em!"
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:57 AM   #30

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Congrats on the retirement.

The only thing you need to worry about now is getting bored.

Jay & Patty Executive Director Liberty Farms
County Coach Magna. Magna Carta "Maggie"
99 Jeep GC/05 SAAB 9-2x Aero (AKA Unicorn)
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #31
Trust me , within 6 months you will be asking yourself how in the hell you got so much done when you were still working !
Congratulations on your retirement, I am sure you have earned it.
Don and Nancy
[2014 40QBH Phaeton, 2015 Buick Enclave, 2yr old sisters Sara n Kaycee, Havanese, Two Segways
djbmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #32
Retirement is the life. DW asked me what I did today, I said "nothing", she said that's what you did yesterday, my reply was "I know, I wasn't done yet".
2014 Palomino Puma 25RS 28 days in 2014, 47 days in 2015, 51 days in 2016 plus 6 more booked
2011 F-150 Supercrew 5.0 6spd, Me, Xyl and the 2 kids, BooBoo and Gracie (kittens)
KT4Wextra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #33
Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
Well it happened sooner than I thought. Reorganization at work. Been through it a bunch of times and it got me after 29 years. I am 56. The DW is happy (she is younger and has a great job), I am happy. Fixing to take some time to enjoy all the toys I have accumulated over the years. Can't wait to get out on the road without checking email 3 times a day, stopping for a conference call etc. Gonna take a few months to decompress. I have been reading this forum for months and envied all the folk that said no regrets and you can't take it with you. I now have the opportunity to experience while i am still alive and healthy. I think DW is happier than I am. Go Figure. Since the coach is fixing to used a lot I will be asking a lot more questions. JD

Hey, congratulations. My DH retired 2 yrs ago at 62. It took no time for him to adjust. I had already been home for a few years,doing domestic stuff. I still find it challenging to have him home all the time. He does go skiing and play hockey. I'm still challenged to find stuff for him to do around the house. He gets in the way in the kitchen, so I am learning to use him as a sous chef. I can't wait until Bbq season starts up again Too windy and cold right now. And then it'll be time for camping...that is the best , we are starting to plan. Bon Echo and Sandbanks top the list at the moment. 🌅
6.5 lb Chihuahua (Bella)
18ft tt Apex bh
2016 Ford F150,FX4 Scab,5.0 L V8,
LittleHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #34
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Retired in 2010 under "similar" circumstances, couldn't be happier.

I say similar in that I was not forced out. The company was reinventing it's self it seemed once every 5 years and my department once every year. All the aspects of my job that I enjoyed were taken away and split among three other departments. I finally hit my limit and just a few months shy of my 58th birthday I retired. My wife held on for another two years, to the day.

People used to tell me money won't buy happiness and my response was always, "no, it won't, but it would buy me the TIME to go look for it".

I've never talked to anyone that thought they had enough money to retire but 90% of those we know all say they wish they had done so earlier. We were lucky in that we were able to sell not one but two homes in very short order. The "secret" was, we simply priced them for the market at that time, about $45k less than the last appraisal just a few years prior. It all comes back to that time factor. None of us know how much of it we still have in the bank and in the mean time, we've got places to go, things to see.

May you enjoy many happy (s)miles as you move forward.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
I was forced out about a year ago - We bought the Motor coach and hit the road- Best thing that ever happened to me. While working I had terrible back pain and the company ins. would not pay for Scan.(cigna) when I got blue cross theydid the scanand found that bladder cancer caused the pain - I may not be here enjoying the road if they had not fired me.
I worked for a govt. contract company repairing Coast Guard and Customs boats. It was fun but seeing the us is funner even with a few bumps in the road.
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #36
Country Coach Owners Club
Best thing that ever happened to me….

I was forced out at age 56 from the private sector, went back to work for 5.5 years more working for the Feds and just retired last November at exactly age 62 with a couple of nice benefits. I truly have never been happier in my entire life. I simple love being able to sleep in and getting up with no 'stinking alarm clock going off, setting my own priorities and doing strictly what I want to do as opposed to what the Boss wants me to do--except for the Big Boss (DW)-- I always do what she says! Happy wife, happy life….

Best thing that ever happened to me was retiring early enough to still enjoy life.
Tim Sullivan, 2000 Country Coach Magna, C10 Cat with 2015 Toyota Prius toad.
TimSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #37
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you to all

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great stories and encouraging words the last few days. Sure does help the confidence. Going to have to downsize some spending habits for a couple years but we should be OK. I have enough in the IRA, 401k, Lifetime cellphone and tv discounts as well as healthcare. Im gonna show this thread to my DW when I get home tomorrow. I am sure she will say "I told ya so!" She is really looking forward to traveling in the coach. She just needs an internet connection and an airport. Our first big trip (two weeks) was canceled because of broken coach at the end of 2014. My to do list with my stuff is already getting long. I have not yet seen her to do list for me.

Sincerly thanks again, JD
Jeff & Steph
2010 Discovery 40x Spartan Cummins ISB
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #38
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well, Congrats! It happened to me as well but I was 62. Haven't looked back since. Enjoy all the time that you can. Like you said you have your health and you just never know when it can go South on you. Have seen it happen so often with a few friends of ours. Good luck and have a great time.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #39
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also keep in mind that when you retire you no longer need to set money aside for your retirement. Another plus is that you pay less income tax. We have found that we maintain the same life style and are still putting some money aside.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #40
Thor Owners Club
I retired 4 July2014 at 61 and wish I had done it sooner. I shifted from a 70hr/week to retirement overnight. No regrets. No withdrawal symptoms. I am lucky-my best friend is my wife and we like our time together. When I retired so did she. Are we exactly where we want to be financially - nope, but we make it work and have fun. I believe all things happen for a reason.... enjoy your retirement ... it really re-centered us on the important things in life! I never heard of anyone who stated they wished they had worked more, as their last words.
Russ and Tam
2015 Thor Outlaw MD, 2012 Road Glide CVO & 2012 Dyna Switchback
SWO USN Retired
Russtj60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:37 AM   #41
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
To be honest, I am a little jealous. We still have 35 more Mondays to go. Sounds like (once the shock wears off) you have a great year in the works! Make lemonade out of it and HAVE FUN! \ken
Ken....35 weeks?

I'm 57 and still probably have 35 years left till I can retire!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:11 AM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Ken....35 weeks?

I'm 57 and still probably have 35 years left till I can retire!
He said from Hawaii....

Steve & Annie (RVM2)
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 38F ~ 325 ISB Turbo ~ Freightliner XC 2014 CR-V ~ Invisibrake / Sterling All Terrain
Sioux Falls, SD (FullTime Since Nov 5th 2014)
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote