Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got retired today

Well it happened sooner than I thought. Reorganization at work. Been through it a bunch of times and it got me after 29 years. I am 56. The DW is happy (she is younger and has a great job), I am happy. Fixing to take some time to enjoy all the toys I have accumulated over the years. Can't wait to get out on the road without checking email 3 times a day, stopping for a conference call etc. Gonna take a few months to decompress. I have been reading this forum for months and envied all the folk that said no regrets and you can't take it with you. I now have the opportunity to experience while i am still alive and healthy. I think DW is happier than I am. Go Figure. Since the coach is fixing to used a lot I will be asking a lot more questions. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
To be honest, I am a little jealous. We still have 35 more Mondays to go. Sounds like (once the shock wears off) you have a great year in the works! Make lemonade out of it and HAVE FUN! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:09 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I retired in 1999 after 30 years as a transportation engineer and IT manager, but I did it on my terms too at 51. Went right to work in the IT field doing contract work, then that dried up and I was unemployed for 4 years or so. Then I went back to work and have worked another 10 years while waiting for the DW to retire. She finally put her papers in in Nov 2008, that week her daughter died and all of a sudden we had a family again so she was able to rescind the retirement. But now her health is bad and has been off work for 3 years and they still haven't found the cause although they keep looking for liver/pancreas cancer.
So, enjoy it while you can!! Things can easily change and ruin all your plans.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations! Whether it was your choice or not I hope you will look back and see it as one of the best days of your life. Take it slow and easy and expect an adjustment period. It's been almost 3 years for me and each day is a real pleasure. ... and you're young enough to have lots of years ahead of you.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations? I'm close to your age and would love the chance to take a break from work and hit the road for awhile.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Congratulations. Welcome to life as it is supposed to be.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I chose retirement at age 59. I am now 74 and have never regretted it. My DW still works but has her own practice so she can travel. Friends have said I could have worked longer, and I could have, but you cannot buy the time back. If you can afford to retire, then do it.

BTW, we were in Lakeway last February. Nice place.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Have been retired for 12 years. Talked to many who have been retired for a long time. None of them have said they wished they had worked longer.

Talked to a fellow this afternoon. Said he retired and then went back to work. He said it was a very unsatisfying experience.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Hi Jeff,
My DW and I retired May 2013 and have really enjoyed it.She just doesn't like to travel as much as I do so that is kind of a bummer but,as you know happy wife happy life so I just go when we can.Good Luck and be HAPPY.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

Walked in on 55th birthday and laid my badge on chiefs desk and said I am retired this evening at midnight. I will be 70 this summer life is good, but remember going for the gold can mean that a lot of the gold goes for medical issues. Wife and I have been thru cancer three times and now arthritis is a real pain. We still ride the motorcycle and enjoy south texas for five months every winter and a month or so coming and going. I got bored and go back to work as fill in in the summer and babysit the 21 somethings that know all the answere or at least they think they do....

Enjoy and find a way to keep busy while wife is working.....
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:04 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the response. My last day is a couple weeks away. I am traveling for work now so I guess they couldn't walk me to the door! DW says it is part of the 'PLAN" House boy, yard boy, go to he store boy, boy toy etc. It is a really good deal for me. I have prepared and I am ready! A year earlier than I thought, they threw in 6 months severance. Happy trails to all. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Yeah, the new kids got a bunch of us laid off Dec 2013, then they all left and started another company. I couldn't find anything in software unless I wanted to commute 2 hours into Boston. I'm 65 in 2 months. 34 years writing code. It was a good run. I started my retirement job (flight instructor) earlier than expected, but had a heart attack and had to put that on hold for 3 months.

Bottom line; I'm retired. Started an RV inspection business. Waiting for the DW to stop working so we can travel. Hopefully I won't be too old.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hogbus

You have the right attitude, looking at the glass as half full and moving forward.

I wrote my own ticket out last year, my job was taking it's toll on my both physically and mentally. I would not have lasted if I had stayed at it so I said enough was enough and turned in my verbal notice to the CEO. After 3 months and no relief in site I wrote a formal resignation letter with 30 day notice. I never looked back.

In the last 8 months we've been on 4 RV trips for a total of ~80 days. I'd like to do more but my wife isn't that thrilled so I'll take what I can get.

Good Luck on your soon to be retirement, I'm drinking a Scotch for your good fortune.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #14

Congratulations on your early retirement. My company overreacted in 2008 when the economy went south and retired all long time employees over 55 years old. It was the best thing to ever happen to each one of them.

Now its time to grab all the gusto you can while you're young. My wife is having some mobility issues (bad back), and we take 2 major trips yearly.

Funny thing, all my high school classmates are on Facebook. One died of cancer last week, and another is in the hospital with cancer and a bad heart. I cannot see where anyone I know has lasted to age 65 on their jobs.

We have no idea how long we have on this earth, and we've got too much of the world we've never seen. Heading for Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco on Tuesday.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote