Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #29

Quote:
I did have a spotter!
I never use any spotter but my bride. Many of the "spotters" at campgrounds have no clue what they are doing. My wife stands in her usual spot and we talk on the cell phone. We go very slow and both of us ignore the flailings of the spotter. This will sometimes make them mad, but who cares. My wife knows how far out our slides go, where the sewer, water and electrical bays are located. We just smile and ignore the spotter. If he says, "On Back" and my wife says "Pull Forward and Straighten Up", I smile and do what she says and he thinks I am an idiot. Who cares? I suspect after your recent experiences, you will do the same. I might also suggest that doing what she says the rest of the time is also a great plan.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #30

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Looked at your picture(s) and did a YIKES!!!!!!!!!
Right as rain now I ended up doing the work, except the paint myself and had enough cash left over to replace the awning fabric all around. Even worth the damage to the finger nail, which BTW is almost completely grown out after a year.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3943.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	22791  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #31
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
My only accident so far came on my first outting with our first RV.

The campground we stayed at put huge boulders at the front corners of each site. I probably don't need to continue as you probably already know where this is going, but I'll tell my story anyways.

I learned that RV's turn like a logging truck. They swing wide cause of the overhang.
I was pulling out to leave the site and was looking to see that I was going to clear the power post and started my turn. While this is going on, my wife was laying on the bed and shouted "What was that horrible noise?"

Apparently, I scrubbed the last basement compartment over the rock. Another 1/2" height and I would have cleared it.
I never pointed out to DW that if she wasn't on the bed at the rear of the coach, I would have had the extra clearance I needed and it wouldn't have happened.

Along with a bruised ego, I would have indeed had some other bruises.
Although I get tempted to say something when she tells others of my mishap.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Davdeb1;1220826]We bought our unit in Tucson last October. On the way home pulling into a Truck stop, we misjudged a cement pylon. I heard a slight scraping sound, and knew something was amiss. Got out, looked at it sure enough, 2 basement doors scraped up pretty good. Still looking at it today, thinking I will just remove the doors, and take them to a body shop.

Oh well...

Oh yeh, I forgot about that one ! Mine was at a LOVE'S. Same deal !!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #33

Horizonchase
Glad you got a chance to read reply's before you made repairs and DIDN"T put silicone on it. The Gorilla Tape may be hard to get off but since in a 'hard-to-see' place, it may be 'permanent' anyway.
That tape from HD looks to have the BEST PROMISE for a temp repair.

As far a the 'spotter',... my wife is MY spotter. I taught her that she needs only to remember ONE THING! The word "STOP". She doesn't have to direct me, (in critical moments, it can be hard to come to the right words) just remember the word, "STOP". And, of course, to say it. When she says "STOP', I stop. Then, if she knows what she wants to say, she can say it. More often than not "I" look.
It works. She hasn't backed my into anything yet! And no 'bad words' pass between us,... and she still feels like cooking dinner for me too.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
Glad you got a chance to read reply's before you made repairs and DIDN"T put silicone on it. The Gorilla Tape may be hard to get off but since in a 'hard-to-see' place, it may be 'permanent' anyway.

As far a the 'spotter',... my wife is MY spotter. I taught her that she needs only to remember ONE THING! The word "STOP". She doesn't have to direct me, (in critical moments, it can be hard to come to the right words) just remember the word, "STOP". And, of course, to say it. When she says "STOP', I stop. Then, if she knows what she wants to say, she can say it. More often than not "I" look.
It works. She hasn't backed my into anything yet! And no 'bad words' pass between us,... and she still feels like cooking dinner for me too.
GWinger
Some of the most entertaining sights you will ever see is watching the back in procedures at Campgrounds. The frantic arm waving and flailing, sceaming and yelling at one another, looking for birds or ants during the event. but my all time favorites is G DAMIT, IF YOU CAN'T SEE ME IN THE MIRROR I CAN'T SEE YOU.
(My wife and I now use our cell phones so that we don't disturb the whole campground as we ebb and flow from divorce to maritial bliss )
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #35

Ahhh... cell phones. We will definately be using those next time. Its a tight fit (mirror nearly runs along the neighbors fence) and hubby was doubting how I was having him pull in. I just have to say guys... listen to your wives and if they screw up & you hit something, don't yell... just smile & know how bad she feels & how much she'll be making it up to you!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
True!!
After 55 years of RV'ing I finally lost an awning to a freak rainstorm. A few paint gouges in the bay doors and new awning comes to $4,500!! The awning is about $1,500 of that at most.

We lost our awning and passenger mirror two weeks ago crossing a narrow bridge - heavy traffic all going too fast in both directions. Figured I had clearance till the power mirror started clacking on the bridge frames. I haven't been brave enough to tell anyone except my insurance adjuster till now. Didn't sleep too well that night, stomach still hurts - but it will get fixed and eventually forgotten, but what a lesson
chaperon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWinger View Post
Horizonchase
That tape from HD looks to have the BEST PROMISE for a temp repair.

GWinger
You're a wise man, GWinger!
After reading how most people who have used their wives as spotters, I can honestly say that it wasn't my wife who let me down, it was two people who volunteered!!
From now on I'm using my wife, or, as I learned that we say here, my DW!
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #38

If you hit something while your wife is the spotter, it is your fault anyway.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:28 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Lindsay, I busted out laughing when I read your reply. In fact, after reading about some of the mishaps others have had, I was laughing really hard. Not in a cruel way, but having had that dreadful experience, I truly knew how they felt and maybe that's why I found humor in it.
In the end, we move on and learn from those experiences.
Horizonchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #40
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
It would be my fault for asking her to be my spotter in the first place!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:44 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
If the gash is not too wide, I would recommend using this product.

EternaBond RoofSeal

Follow their instructions or call them directly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
Funny this thread caught my eye. A couple of days ago, I had a bit of a disagreement with a wooden post in an Alaska recreation area. It caught the edge of my front cap and made a 2" split right on the edge. In addition, some of the metal reinforcement pieces behind it got bent. I'll need to find someone that can repair the framing and the fiberglass when I get somewhere I'll be staying for a while.