Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #29

I've had similar comments from friends in the past.
Ends up that they were jealous.

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not about money, but rather about life.

Your neighbor comes under: "If I have to explain, you won't understand."

Camping Rig: 2006 Outback 27 RSDS--
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
Full time since June 2006
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:03 AM   #31
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
It's been my experience in life that in most cases, the "Naysayers" have never experienced the things they have an opinion on!
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 AM   #32
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
From the very first day I rented a Class A with a big wide open windshield and drove "The Living Room" down the road, I've been hooked and have owned one ever since that first trip. Can't say a Caddy has ever made me want to do that.
Sally, Hailey (Shih Tzu) and Me!
08 Revolution LE 40E
12 Jeep Wrangler,10 FLHX
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
Newmar Owners Club
Ask him if his DW can get up from her seat and walk 15-20 feet behind her for a nature call, make him coffee or get him a cold beverage while he is riding down the road in his 'Caddy'. Like said earlier, "If you have to explain it".
Chuck & Chopper (the fuzzy 1)
2003 DSDP w/ 2012 F150 4x4 that wants to be a Jeep.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #34
Ford Super Duty Owner
There has been some comment on the cooking aspect. Anyone on a restricted diet (mine is low sodium)will appreciate the kitchen facilities. Something that hasn't been mentioned is the traveling toilet. I take diuretics and my wife is a woman (enough said). Have yet to see a Caddy (or any other car) that will accommodate our bathroom needs while on the road.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #35
Thor Owners Club
I asked and they wouldn't let me build a campfire at the last hotel. But seriously...I like wandering and there often isn't a hotel were we travel and choose to spend a night.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #36
Winnebago Owners Club
Wow, lots of pluses for the Motorhome. You can take it all with you (The wife, dog, clothing for all occasions and weather conditions, food for special needs diets, etc). As mentioned previously you don't have to worry about bed bugs, you or significant other (whoever is not driving) can get up and go to the fridge or potty while traveling. You can camp in high class RV parks or Walmart's or some out of the way places (with nary another human being around (if you have a mind to). Your wardrobe is not limited by the size of your luggage and you don't have lug suitcases around.
2005 Suncruiser
Banks Powerpack
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #37
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
I have a neighbor who says he would rather buy a new Cadillac and stay in Hiltons every night than buy a big MH. He says he'd be money ahead. I say only if he is NOT full timing. :-)
I say he's missing the point. I've never seen a Hilton anywhere near where I wanted to park my rig.
2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:29 PM   #38
Monaco Owners Club
We just did a trip in the new $20k car (Fiat Abarth) and used hotels instead of taking the RV. We spent $70 - $120 a night per room and that was with a military/veteran discount. We spent 7 or 8 nights on the road in hotels. Several times because of fairs and festivals we had to drive extra time because there were no rooms anywhere for at least an hour or more down the road. We went from CA to MI and back.
Wish we really could have taken our house with us but we had an electrical issue that had to be dealt with first and I think we finally got it after we got back. We would have been able to drive and then just park at rest areas, welcome centers, or well anyplace with out trying to find a CG. Both Thom and I have agreed that will be the last time not taking our house with us.
Thom and Christine having fun in a 1993 Monaco Crown Royale Signature Series 40ft 300hp RV. Towing a Fiat 500 Abarth and a Harley.
Our blogged repairs and travels
PyrateSilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:56 PM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
I too have traveled both ways and seen way too many motel rooms. I prefer my own bed and kitchen like others. A new Caddy would be nice but does not really fit. I don't need a status symbol.
Like old Red Skelton said when playing his characters Gertrude and Heecliff the Seagulls...
"I just spotted a new Caddy today."
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #40
For me the money part doesn't matter. It's about what I enjoy. When we are out in the trailer, I am totally satisfied sitting outside under the awning reading a magazine or book. When I'm in a motel, all I want to be is not in a motel.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #41

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I like taking the MH when we go places. once it is set up it is "home" ,plus my dogs, 2GSD's and an Aussie, they do not like dealing with all the hotel BS. Plus, it is great to spend time with the Family actually getting there.
Stefan, Nicole, and Ian
The Pups - Kaiser, Indar, Itsa, and Marty
2015 Newmar DS 4369
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #42
My wife and I are retired. I paid cash for a used motorhome. We hang a 90 mpg scooter on the rear. We camp at high Sierra
lakes and have an inflatable boat with an electric trolling motor. We enjoy trout fishing and BBQing. If one includes 6 meals/day into the matrix, really inexpensive but high quality booze, fish all day etc. we fine that at the end of each trip we come out ahead. We get to eat what we like and the way we want it cooked, we don't have to wait for hours to eat, we can take grand kids along for next to free and we can take the boat anytime and anywhere. I've found that Hilton's get really pissed when you have the campfire or BBQ in your room or even on your porch.

Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote