Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Being a Navy all I can say to you is damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead. (Adm. Farragut).

Seriously, take your time and enjoy your coach. Sometimes we plan and other times we just pick a direction and go.

I would also suggest one of your first destinations be to a RV driving course. Driving with confidence and skill will make it all the more enjoyable and safer for you and those around you.

Unless we have a need to be somewhere specific on a given day, I find planning to the last mile and minute really just takes the fun out of it.

Go slow but go.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #44
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by chofujohn View Post
I was ordered by the sheriff's department to move the motorhome off the street (even though I had subdivision permission) as they had complaints that it was a traffic hazard.
It seems you got to tell the deputy who was boss and the neighbors what a real traffic hazard was!

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #45
John, nice to see you're maintaining your sense of humor through all this. That's the most important thing I believe.

Deputy reinforced a lesson already learned it sounds like. You absolutely cannot be in a hurry behind the wheel of one of theses DPs! When you put it in reverse you have to be doubly cautious...

I do spend the evening prior to a move on the computer looking for a park or attraction in the general vicinity of a direction I'd like to go. Will then check park/destination reviews to try to avoid a dive or something not real accessible with a big rig. I shoot for no more than 350 miles, many times less. That's a long day here in the mid west, and judging from the trip we just returned from, to/from the mid east coast area, there as well. I can only guess driving the areas that are a little flatter or with less traffic may be a little less stressful and might allow for slightly longer drives? We're headed SW in late March, will find out.

We look for a place to park the motor home that's central to some stuff we'd like to see while driving the toad. It's much cheaper to drive that, and way less stressful. I actually have time to see things as I'm not nearly so focused on driving while in that.

We just returned from Virginia Beach. Beautiful, but those sand burs really proved problematic for the fur kids - and the carpets. Mixed emotions regarding that location for that reason only. Man those things HURT. We stayed at First Landing State Park, site was G40, one of the few there that allow an ocean view (G37 as well?). Many freighters, and a few Navy boats, were anchoring a mile or so offshore, coming and going the whole time we were there. Maybe a staging area of some sort? Very nice park, with a great central location regarding town and freeway access. Note: Our GPS was about 1/2 a mile off regarding the park entrance, but we had little trouble finding it.

My flying experience not as extensive as yours. I flew for fun, period. If it starts looking like it's going to be work, I stay put (unless to/from Oshkosh). Majority of my experience is in C172's especially while learning, a '51 Tri-Pacer that I rebuilt from the ground up (eventually swallowed a valve while over Lake Michigan, less than graceful landing following led to it's demise) , then a C182 straight tail (the most fun, with no doubt). Of course some stick time with friends in twins, even a little turbo time that I can't say too much about.... I was active for about half the time you've been. I paid for most of my annuals, the parts I needed signed off, by helping the A&P's/IA's when they needed a hand doing something that needed doing in a hurry - or they didn't like doing (like wheel bearings, R&R inspection covers on King Airs, etc.). I actually enjoyed working on them/fixing them up as much as I did flying them.

Happy and safe travels! Stay in touch if you like? michahicks@aol.com
1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #46
Winnebago Owners Club
John, I wish you the best in your travels.
I am a A&P mechanic & still have apprx 9 more years till retirement. Then off we go full time or maybe sooner. So keep it going forward, no need to go backwards. But if you do be sure to have a good wing walker or 2.
Dan Sees, Full Timing in the MH & Part timing in a S&B In Hampstead, NC
2013 Winnebago Journey 42e, 2014 Featherlite Car Hauler 3110 17.5', 2008 Mazda MX5,
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:10 PM   #47

I am a new DP owner, and put about 10K miles on her in about 3 months of use. What I have learned is pretty much what has been discussed in the recent posts. Anytime you move, turn, park, or back-up it has to be 100% attention combined with extra planning and situational awareness. I tend to be a bit A.D.D., so it hasn't been easy for me to adjust.

I am currently having a little paint work done to repair minor mail box contact. Lesson (hopefully) learned - not EVERYTHING shows in the mirrors when turning and backing.

On the other hand, the itinerary can be very flexible - Assuming that you have no looming deadline to meet.

I just completed a NY to Seattle and back trip that I scheduled for 2 months. Visited half a dozen friends along the way, and when I saw something interesting, I spent time to check it out.

The DW and I will be on the road for 6-8 months next year, and we have a rough list of destinations, but I expect there will be some great surprises along the way.

Much like flying, it's mostly boring - punctuated by moments of extreme emotion.

Did I ever tell you about landing a C-172 in 45 knot quartering cross winds.........................?
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #48
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do the Amish make cooling boards for Dometic Refrigerators?

If We Can't Haul It...You Don't Need It! Motor-T
Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #49
Originally Posted by w6pea View Post
Do the Amish make cooling boards for Dometic Refrigerators?
You can look at their distributor web sites either

Just to clarify the "Amish Built" units are actually made by
Pines RV Refrigeration in Shipshewana, IN
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #50

As a full-timer with a "whole" 10 months of experience, I can totally empathize with what you are going through. All I can say is that it does get a lot easier pretty quickly, and I can now laugh about experiences like having the slide creep out while driving on the interstate in the middle of nowhere. Now that I have some 15,000 miles under my belt the driving days have definitely become a lot easier.

Although I doubt you will need it, the folks at RV Driving School are excellent. My wife took a half day lesson and I rode along and was very impressed with how much was covered. I got a Class B CDL through a local community college prior to going full-time and also felt it was a worthwhile experience even though the license wasn't needed for driving the MH.

As for refrigerators, we had a Norcold that worked as well as any absorption fridge can, which means the ice cream varies in consistency from rock hard to soupy depending on the time of day and the outside temperature! We replaced it with a residential fridge mostly because you can put a much larger residential unit into the space required for an RV fridge. We have an 18 cu ft Samsung in the space of our 12 cu ft Norcold. We chose a Samsung because it will operate on a modified sine wave inverter so we can keep it cold while driving without having to operate the generator. We have no regrets about having made the change.

IMHO, the so-called Amish cooling units being touted by some are a high-risk investment, even though I'm sure I will be vigorously attacked for saying that. I don't dispute that the product works for those who have installed it, but given the problems associated with the the OEM cooling units, I can't see spending $500-1,000 for a replacement made by a small company with limited financial resources. There simply aren't enough of these units in use for a long enough period of time to know if they will suffer from the same or similar problems as the Norcold and Dometic cooling systems. If they continue to work safely, that's great for everyone; if they don't, the resources of a small company may not be sufficient to stand up to warranty and/or product liability claims.

Hopefully, you will get the kinks out of the system soon and will be able to get out on the road . We have thoroughly enjoyed our first year and are already eagerly planning our second. We, too, had a well-cared for older MH that we have updated and remodeled (and continue to do so). If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote