Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 05:57 AM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
That's why lots of cg you pull into are former KOA, now generic cg. About the drunken sailor, no offense taken. I understand that the new navy does not tolerate that now. Whar's happineng to our world? Where are the days of wooden ships and iron men?
It has Mutated:
Iron ships and wooden men. ;-)

I'm in a very nice KOA. 20 minutes from the turnpike I will NOT take. Too many old highways with things to see. Not in a hurry. Never bored. A fine home-cooked meal every night. And a campfire, of course!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4135547882.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	368.9 KB
ID:	43926

300 miles to go today, several stops along the way.
The Journey is Our Destination

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 07:29 AM   #142

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
My $.02

I haven't read all posts here but get the general idea of the frustration of high campground prices. I too have made this comment on several occasions, but I also see the other side of the story. Campground owners are trying to make a living, and another way to look at it is, a return on investment. I can't help but notice the thread started with the KOA in my home town. I know property tax rates and real estate values here and understand the campground owners position. They have franchise fees, water, sewer, electric, maintenance of grounds and pool, cleaning of the bath houses and laundry rooms, repayment of mortgages, and so on. On top of all that, trying to make a living, which is also subject to additional taxes. I doubt there is very much net income from that $65 to the owners, who by the way are great young folks! Now if you stop at a rural campground off the side of the interstate in the middle of nowhere where someone has mad a few clearings on their property and run some power posts and water taps, price will reflect that. Similarly, our motel room in NYC a block from Central Park for upcoming weekend is MUCH higher then we paid a few weeks back on the side of I-85 in the middle of SC. Location, location, location.

Some things I agree with is usage pricing, if someone is going to pull in late in the day, use power and water only to sleep overnight and roll on at sunrise, a smart owner would offer a rate to reflect that. I have had some discussion about that with CG owners to no avail. Now that I do not understand.

Again, just my 2 cents

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #143

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post
I haven't read all posts here but get the general idea of the frustration of high campground prices. I too have made this comment on several occasions, but I also see the other side of the story. Campground owners are trying to make a living, and another way to look at it is, a return on investment. I can't help but notice the thread started with the KOA in my home town. I know property tax rates and real estate values here and understand the campground owners position. They have franchise fees, water, sewer, electric, maintenance of grounds and pool, cleaning of the bath houses and laundry rooms, repayment of mortgages, and so on. On top of all that, trying to make a living, which is also subject to additional taxes. I doubt there is very much net income from that $65 to the owners, who by the way are great young folks! Now if you stop at a rural campground off the side of the interstate in the middle of nowhere where someone has mad a few clearings on their property and run some power posts and water taps, price will reflect that. Similarly, our motel room in NYC a block from Central Park for upcoming weekend is MUCH higher then we paid a few weeks back on the side of I-85 in the middle of SC. Location, location, location.

Some things I agree with is usage pricing, if someone is going to pull in late in the day, use power and water only to sleep overnight and roll on at sunrise, a smart owner would offer a rate to reflect that. I have had some discussion about that with CG owners to no avail. Now that I do not understand.

Again, just my 2 cents
I agree with your comments about pricing, and I have often been in the situation of pulling in late and leaving early and wincing when having to pay full price. But look at it from the campground owners standpoint, how do you police the such a situation, do you put up a fence to isolate late arrivals from the amenities? Do you show up at daylight bang on the door an tell them to hit the road? For the campground owner I see nothing but more expense and management for less return. Besides isn't that whats WalMart for?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #144

I have talked to many owners and it is amazing to me how many have never actually RV'ed themselves. If I owned a restaurant, I'd it at it and others often to get a feel for the others in business.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #145

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike047 View Post
The Corp of Engineers on the Black Warrior/Tombigbee project have a continuing need for volunteer hosts. The project is all volunteer next season. 6 campground and 2 day use area are staffed this way.
That's what I hope do at least 3 months out of the year, thanks for the tip.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #146

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
We always stay there when passing through. We love the little "Road Runner Cafe" with the mom and pop owners and the comfort food they whip up.

Rick
X2!!

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #147

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I have talked to many owners and it is amazing to me how many have never actually RV'ed themselves. If I owned a restaurant, I'd it at it and others often to get a feel for the others in business.
At one CG we stayed at they had just changed managers. The new ones did not have any clue about much of anything but kept on talking about how they are RV'ers cause well they are members of Escapees as if that just made all the difference. Almost every time they talked about anything they always managed to bring up that they were members of Escapees. They were there about 2 weeks and were given 24 hrs to pack up and leave the property.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by trode View Post

Again, just my 2 cents
And there are those like us and many others you meet at rest and truck stops and WalMarts who don't even need or want power and water for the night. We just want a place to pull in, eat, rest awhile and hit the sack. CGs near the Interstates and other main arteries could probably set up areas for people like us and make a few extra grand a year. I would pay $5 to $10 a night just to sleep. But more than that is a waste of money in my opinion.

I actually look forward to getting up in the morning, putting the perk coffee pot on the stove, freshening up and sitting at the window sipping my fresh brew while watching all the other rigs leaving... ahhh, Wally World at 7 AM.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #149

National RV Owners Club
Usually we plan ahead, but on this trip we rather winged it. We followed our devious GPS to a promising campground, only to find out...well, we left. We started up over Snoqualmie Pass thinking we'd find something.... We did. A glimpse of a Forest Service campground sign and we pulled off I-90 at that exit, wound up a couple of miles of a Forest Service road and right to the most beautiful flat site overlooking a river, and a peaceful view of the hillside on the otherside of the highway (which we could not see, or hear). Beautiful surroundings. Total boondock, even Sirius sat radio could not find a signal. Of course, no fee. Our next unplanned stop was at a new favorite, where our 'senior' status and Passport American resulted in under $22 for the night - full hooks, except cable tv. (We have a Tailgater, so no big deal). Fishing was great there, too.

I prefer researching and planning ahead, but it can be fun to wing it.

JoAnn
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #150

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over $90 at the KOA in Watsonville near Santa Cruz and the place is a dump like most other KOAs. Vote with your wallet and boycott KOA
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
right....Our little condo's on wheels...

That is why we stay at state parks 95% of the time...trees, rivers, lakes, fresh air.....
RV'ing is getting VERY expensive. State parks often require several months advanced reservation anywhere thats popular and clean. Private owned RV parks are getting way over priced. $85-$100+ is common in southern California for instance. Add the cost of diesel to tow a rig any appreciable distance and RV'ing is for the well to do!

I'm like you. I prefer our own RV over a hotel most of the time but geez, we can stay in a very nice hotel for the cost of the RV park and gas/diesel. IOW's, RV'ing used to be a way to travel, see the sites and save money on hotels. Not any more. It's a luxury hobby. We love it and just bought a new 5'er but I do agree RV park prices have gotten absurd.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 PM   #152

Vintage RV Owners Club
On our wayto and back from Yellowstone, we stayed in 2 tight "cram them in" RV campplaces, one was inside of yellowstone, and the other just outside east of there. I did not enjoy the sites there too much, I enjoyed Yellowstone, but not not having a place to put my lawn chair and sit out and read and relax without having to look at my neighbor's stinky slinky... at the one outside of Yellowstone, there was a fire ring, and picnic table but same situation... you were looking at your neighbor's slinky....
We boon docked on airport apron's twice, nice quiet and at Devil's tower... felt like we were at the top of the world at Hulett, WY... gorgeous. We also stayed at nice little city campground's twice...one in South Dakota ( MItchell... Lake Mitchell Campground, very reasonably priced)and one in Northwest Corner of Kansas St. Francis ( free & small airport nextdoor within taxi distance, no need to break camp!). Both had shower's, one had no hookups but had a dump to use, the other had full hookups, went out of their way to give us a pull through even though we don't really require it... 22' RV and a trailer... but it was sweet of them to give it to us... felt bad when saw another big rig pull in later while we were eating Dinner, but there might have been 1 pull through site left. We discovered we much prefer the smaller, quieter camprounds even if we had to drive across the small towns to get there from the interstate. Also discovered, if we are moderately careful, we can go for about 2 days before needing to dump, and 3 if no shower is used. Fresh water seemed to last a little longer than the storage capacity for the black & gray tanks. Allstays and Good Sams were the tools used to locate our stays, ( and being told about the airports by other powerchute flyers... quick calls to the city manager secured permission to dry camp on their level blacktop aprons.)
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #153

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I would gag on parks that cost 67 bucks. Why stay there?
We stayed at one on the OR coast near Astoria, cost was almost $100 a night after all the add ons. We paid it purely for the grandkids sake so they had something to do. Site was barely long enough, not really wide enough (I can show you the tree branch scrapes). Did go to the breakfasts they had though, but that was a mandatory "extra".
Won't do it again though.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #154

Mr D since you have 9,794 posts on this forum you know the drill, some places expensive and some not. When I was looking in Allstays ap a month ago for the Oregon coast I saw the place for 100 bucks. I did gag. I am sure it is the same place as it was the only one I found for 100. I can stay for nada on the Oregon Coast because I belong to Thousand Trails which has a number of parks all up an down the Oregon Coast.

And Yellowstone area. Pretty high priced for full hookups. Jackson very high. But we are staying at Colter Bay for 50. Way too much for me normally, but we have spend a couple of great family vacations there in the past and we wanted to be there again. We camp in Southern CA all the time. So Millshuff, you need to look around a bit more carefully. If you look you can find high priced places in S Cal. But there are all kinds of very nice RV parks that are 33 or 35. Thousand Trails has four parks in that area I can stay in for zero. In San Diego there are several County Parks that are very nice and do not cost a lot - Sweetwater and Santee Lakes. San Dimas is a good park owned I think by the County of LA that we have stayed in several times for about 40 bucks. A very nice park with a view and park around it.

We are in a 5W park in Boise right now. $33 a night.

B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote