Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Looked for rates for an overnight motel stay in Fort Stockton, TX, the armpit of Texas, and the cheapest was $79 for a night.

Looked in the the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Inn, and it is $52 a night.

Fixed income sucks.
Agree that Fort Stockton is the armpit of Texas. We have stayed there twice just passing through. Probably stayed at the pit of the armpit, Parkview RV Park but under Passport America it was only $10, nobody bothered us and we could run our air. Beats the heck out of Wal Mart; yet I saw several rigs in the Wal Mart there. Point is buy Passport America, best $44 I ever spent.

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #44

Great thread!

I find this really interesting because this is my first year at the RV experience. I was planning on a trout fishing trip in the NC mountains and one of my friends recommended a KOA in Cherokee, NC. I think I'd better do a little research before I head that way .
Very interesting thread and great information! Sorry the original poster was po'ed but this topic has helped.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstand View Post
I find this really interesting because this is my first year at the RV experience. I was planning on a trout fishing trip in the NC mountains and one of my friends recommended a KOA in Cherokee, NC. I think I'd better do a little research before I head that way .
Very interesting thread and great information! Sorry the original poster was po'ed but this topic has helped.

There are alternatives in Cherokee :-)

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions.../Cherokee.html

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't have to take it any more.. Many private parks charge like 25-35 for full hookup sites.

If you think the prices where you were were high,, Check out Port Huron (MI) area KOAs I did, and dang near needed to change underwear. Thankfully. I have no need to park there as I have a handy membership park nearby I belong to so 2 weeks out of four I am parked where I am parked for about 45 dollars a month. The other two weeks, Smaller network of parks, 35 a month.. That is what, less than 3.00 a day.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
You don't have to take it any more.. Many private parks charge like 25-35 for full hookup sites.

If you think the prices where you were were high,, Check out Port Huron (MI) area KOAs I did, and dang near needed to change underwear. Thankfully. I have no need to park there as I have a handy membership park nearby I belong to so 2 weeks out of four I am parked where I am parked for about 45 dollars a month. The other two weeks, Smaller network of parks, 35 a month.. That is what, less than 3.00 a day.
Interesting!

But what is the bottom line nightly cost with monthly fees and membership fees. Just curious

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckstand View Post
I was planning on a trout fishing trip in the NC mountains and one of my friends recommended a KOA in Cherokee, NC.

If I may suggest, Leatherwood. Camp sites are on the trout stream. Sit under your awning and fish! I sat in my chair under the awning last month and witnessed a fly fisherman pull 14 from the stream in 30 minutes!

We camp there two or three times per season, and take our mules to ride on the beautiful trails. Sites are $25/night for 30A+water. It is a horse camp, so expect horses and horse people, but its easy in and easy out. Not a groomed RV resort by any stretch, but if you like the mountains, fishing, and horses, its a great place to go.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #49

I just don't understand how one particular chain of campgrounds can completely destroy one's camping experience for the future. That stinks of being too lazy to do any research. If the only place you're willing to go is KOAs you are going to miss a lot of MUCH nicer campgrounds at MUCH better prices. The fact that a campground is affiliated with KOA is no guarantee of quality or services. It IS a guarantee of higher prices! If you are willing to look a little further than the big signs on the interstate highways you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Looked for rates for an overnight motel stay in Fort Stockton, TX, the armpit of Texas, and the cheapest was $79 for a night.

Looked in the the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Inn, and it is $52 a night.

Fixed income sucks.
Because of the oil boom, hotels in West Texas are going for between $200 and $300 a night.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I did a trip last month from NC to CO and stayed at 2 very nice KOA's. They were clean, quiet, safe, and easy to get to. They were worth every penny of the 40+ dollar price. Not knowing the areas we were in, it's nice to know there's a clean and safe place to stay. Plus the added bonus of all the hook ups if we needed them.(and I did. Thank you smelly water tank) I'm glad they exist for us travelers as an option. Beats hunting around at 10:00 at night for a place to stay in an unfamiliar town.

We were at the Kansas city Koa and Crossville Tenn Koa.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I plan my trips based upon 300-350 miles per day and research out parks and prices ahead of schedule. For the most part I've had good experiences and reasonable prices, $28 to 35 per night at the KOAs I've visited. Hit a couple of them in Arizona when I got way ahead of schedule that I thought were too high, $40 plus, for what they offered, especially one that I had to use nearly 30 foot of sewer hose once I got in the slot far enough to get my tail out of the road. I don't use KOA exclusively, but if I run into one that is less than stellar, I note it, do a KOA critique and move on. I do the same with Good Sam Parks. We had the chance at the KOA at San Angelo, TX to visit with one of their traveling site inspector husband and wife teams for a couple of hours. Nice couple and nice park. The owner of that park was having a party for his employees, so he sent one of them around to invite every one in the park to attend. I hate to hear someone being labeled as to lazy to do the research when they hit a situation or area of high prices and get stuck with what was obviously way too high a price. Once I'm on the road, I don't have internet excess, so If plans change, I too can get stuck.
VSPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
in Ft Stockton using RVparkreviews could find nothing over $28. per day???? We stayed on the east side returning from Quartzite this year at an OK park with a nice little clean restaurant and good prices.
We always stay there when passing through. We love the little "Road Runner Cafe" with the mom and pop owners and the comfort food they whip up.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:22 PM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How KOA survives

How does KOA survive? My guess is that there are folks who just don't care how much it costs as long as the kids have a playground.

Before we learned better we used to go to the Santa Cruz KOA a couple times a year. They are currently publishing rates of $63 to $110 a night. And that's BEFORE all the famous KOA surcharges.

At that price you'd expect it to be on the beach, right? WRONG! Surrounded by artichoke and Brussels Sprout farms. 4 miles to the nearest beach.

We don't go there anymore. Not only because of the money. It's also one of the noisiest and rowdiest RV parks around. Small spaces too.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed at Hilltop RV Park in Ft Stockton, TX last year for $25. It was a little family owned place that was nice and clean. The internet worked fine too. No they are not KOA, GS or part of any other groups. When we were checking in we asked the guy if they offered any of those discounts and he said that they were approached by GS the year before to "join" but first GS wanted them to up their price by $10 to then offer the 10% discount. They said no thanks and just charge the $25.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:32 PM   #56

I guess we are spoiled. We use an "RV park" in Santa Cruz, CA where there are full hookups, all concrete parking, 6' SS fence with remote gate, and the price--FREE--.