Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #71

I avoid using KOA's because of their lobbying efforts on local levels in many states and towns to ban overnight parking at places like Wal Mart. I do believe they have survived in business because like most national chains there is a "sameness" to them that does give the weary traveler some comfort in knowing what to expect from their CG's when pulling in, whether it be price or amenities. You know, a McDonalds burger in California tastes the same in New York.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I just pulled into the KOA in New Bern, NC. The charge for a basic site with 50 amp service is $60.00 per day. That isn稚 acceptable to me......
Why even pull into a KOA, known to be one of the most expensive CGs around? Private CGs abound for $25 per day. If you have the Senior Card, you can stay at COE CGs for as little as $10 a day.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:08 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
I agree! My interest lie else where. A great mountain view. Lovely brook. The option to support the local merchant, ie: the campground owner that is the basis of small business for his or her community. Just a thought !
Most of us who choose to spend the night at WalMart don't care about the view. It's NIGHT TIME or soon will be. You can't see the brook or lovely mountains so why pay to park and sleep? We do support the local merchant - WalMart! When on an extended road trip we'll spend one night a week, or maybe every 10 days at a CG. That will be to take on fresh water, dump the tanks, do laundry and take extended showers in the bath house. Our biggest expense - gasoline.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
Because of the oil boom, hotels in West Texas are going for between $200 and $300 a night.
Exactly. Came thru the area on I20 in Feb after getting rerouted down 25 due to snow from ALBQ east, noticed high deisel and even Motel 6 prices and they were busy. I was told one could not even reserve a rv site if avaiable around Midland........OIL BOOM. We stayed a few hours at crowded WM in Pecos then I headed east around three am.
buck454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Very happy with Passport America, maybe not so much for destination parks, but can be a real cost saver for en route travel. Given the choice between a Walmart or a $10-$15 overnight at a PPA campground, I'll go with the latter.
Does that $10 to $15 a night include weekends and holidays? And are they as close to the Interstates as the WalMart stores?
Old 08-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #76

I think some people need to reassess the cost of RVing. Camp grounds that survive aren't charging the same price they did in 1974. In 1974 the cost of gas was $.52 per gallon. I know beacuse I owned a couple service stations during that time period. Today we're paying between $3.50 and $4.20 a gallon depending on where you are.

A good hourly wage of that time was between $3.15 and $4.50 per hour. Now the minimum wage in most states is more than double that. In some places McDonalds is paying over $12.00 per hour and still has trouble finding help. Given these examples and the information previously posted about KOA charging $15.00 a night during the same time period it looks like KOA isn't even keeping up with the rest of the world.

Granted they are more expensive than some others but not totally out of line. We stayed at a city run campground in Homer Alaska that charged as much or more than any KOA we've ever been at. The going price in Homer was $75.00 per night for a full hookup. It's a gravel lot with the only ammenity other than showers and washrooms being a flat spot with a putting green made of astro turf.

Like most KOA's they can command the price because of their location and the demand. Every night we were there the place was full and turning people away. There are other places in the area that charge a third as much but they never seem to fill up. Go figure.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #77

Yup, that's what fun about rv-ing. We have enjoyed our star at Blue Water Key,a high end resort, but have loved our state campgrounds too! But realistically, this isn't an inexpensive hobby. There are many price points in between. And if my boys were still young I'd gladly pay additional for a playground, pool etc. divide it out by the hour and its pretty reasonable . Have fun wherever you hook up!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
A couple of things. I'm not sure how government spending is affecting camground prices, unless the government is taking over all of the spaces.

Also, KOAs are like any other campground. KOA, in most cases, is a franchise. It's the campground operator you should be looking at. If they can fill their park up while charging $70 per night, why would they lower their prices? When we look for a place to stay at night, price is a big factor. We have never been surprised at the price because we know what it will be before we get there.

Because there is a KOA on the sign of the campground, why would you evaluate them any differently than any other campground?
Old 08-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #79

Great thread! Read every post! I hardly ever stay at KOA but have two favorites both on I70...one in Goodland, KS. Two of my favorite people. The owner (wife) got her US citizenship during one of our trips from KC to Denver. Never saw two happier people. She makes home made meals (stuff cabbage) to die for, and brings them to your coach. Sure, the price has gone up over the years we have been going through Goodland but their prices are still fair. We stop for the people most and they got it down correct!
We stopped on one trip during a tornado warning and I asked where to go...she said bring your wife and dog and go to the open door in our basement. Pretty cool huh?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #80

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Looked for rates for an overnight motel stay in Fort Stockton, TX, the armpit of Texas, and the cheapest was $79 for a night.

Looked in the the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Inn, and it is $52 a night.

Fixed income sucks.
That's because they are all full with oil field workers. They are having a boom out there. I stayed at Hilltop in Ft Stockton on the way to Phoenix last Oct for $25. I can't even get them to call me back for a repeat trip this Oct. When I went to Big Bend this Apr, every RV park from Sonora to Ft Stockton was full to capacity. Even Bakersfield, TX had a RV park that was full.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #81

I know there are all kind of campgrounds and price points out there to fit every budget and every want and need. This is America and that's how we like it. [moderator edit]
Old 08-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #82

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
I know there are all kind of campgrounds and price points out there to fit every budget and every want and need. This ia America and that's how we like it. However, to use a campground only 1 in 10 nights is taking the Wal Mart concept a bit far IMHO.
Campgrounds, for me, need to be the destination. They need to have amenities that attract me to spend my money there. Overnight stays, on the way to the destination don't need to be campgrounds. If it takes me 5 days to get to where I'm going, I'll stay 4 nights at walmart, or rest areas, or wherever. I don't feel the need (or the obligation) to pay for amenities I don't intend to use by pulling into a park, sleeping a few hours, and leaving.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #83

Winnebago Owners Club
KOA in my opinion overcharge for the accommodation we want (full service) site however there are those who want all the extras a lot of KOA offer and if that is the case be prepared to pay for it, if KOA start losing business to lower priced RV parks they will be forced to bring their prices down.
Passport America works good for us, just our .2c worth
Old 08-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #84

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

Does that $10 to $15 a night include weekends and holidays? And are they as close to the Interstates as the WalMart stores?
Depends on the campground. When you join Passport America you get a directory or you can get their free mobile app. I've yet to pay more than $17 at a PPA campground.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote