Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post

Depends on the campground. When you join Passport America you get a directory or you can get their free mobile app. I've yet to pay more than $17 at a PPA campground.
Yeah, here too. I think we are getting our worth out of the lifetime membership fee.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #86

Try a $185 a nite for water front in Key West. Great view, and if windy all the sand you can eat.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #87

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Barge View Post
<snip>

Complaining to similar interest crowd is just complaining and mean spirited to those who are not able to respond and will have no positive outcome.
// off soap box.
It's called conversation.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 AM   #88

I recently re-entered the world of camping with a Truck camper.

I travel every week for business. I stay in up to three different hotels each week. I use HotWire.com to book my rooms. I rarely stay in a hotel that costs more than $80. And I get free breakfast and at some of them, free beer at Happy Hour! And I'm talking Hiltons, Holiday Inns, Raddison, etc. No some flea bag hotel.

$65 for a camping spot is nuts! And $30 to stay in a State Park with a billion kids running around is insane. I only use my camper to go to Shooting events now. The whole "camping experience" is nothing like it was 30 years ago.

For the past ten years I've been motorcycle touring and camping from the bike. Pull off the road anywhere, cover the bike with a camo cloth, set up a camo tent and have the world to yourself. Median strips are very quiet! Behind cemeteries, behind fire stations (with permission) are awesome.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
I'm a RVer. I love to travel and I love to camp. I camp at campgrounds, boondock some, & stay at RV Resorts. If I can save money where I will be staying then that's more to spend traveling. Lol
If I plan to stay a few days and enjoy the amenities of a RV park then I pay the price. I just hate paying the price when I'm just staying the night and moving on the next morning.

My suggestion to these high priced RV Parks would be to designate some campsites for those folks who want to pull in and park for the night. They will use some electricity, dump their tanks, & use some water. Give them 50% off the rate and let them know their restrictions.
Most folks are just looking for a safe place to park for the night and be on their way the next day.
This would be a win-win for traveling RVers and the resort too.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #90

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhunter View Post
My suggestion to these high priced RV Parks would be to designate some campsites for those folks who want to pull in and park for the night. They will use some electricity, dump their tanks, & use some water. Give them 50% off the rate and let them know their restrictions.
Most folks are just looking for a safe place to park for the night and be on their way the next day.
This would be a win-win for traveling RVers and the resort too.
This is a common-sense solution that has been suggested many many times here. Yet, I have not heard of any CGs actually doing it. I don't know why.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #91
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Years ago, we had a Campground Owners forum and the owner's answer was twofold.

1. They weren't interested in having substantially discounted sites. They saw it as a losing proposition.

2. They envisioned those camped in the discounted sites wanting to use the showers, pool, laundry, etc., sneaking or boldly availing themselves of the same amenities as the full price campers.

We closed the forum when the campground owners stopped posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
This is a common-sense solution that has been suggested many many times here. Yet, I have not heard of any CGs actually doing it.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #92

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Since I retired in 2008, I've visited 34 states while traveling the back roads with family and friends. I've done this on a motorcycle and staying at hotels during inclement weather.
The majority of our nights were spent in tents mostly in private campgrounds and some state or national parks.
We have found that the campground owners worked really well with us allowing the 3 or 4 of us to use one campsite for all 3 tents. We usually located a site close to the showers. After a hot day in the open air on a MC, a good shower was a luxury. We checked in early, set up, & then rode to dinner.
Of course, we never stayed at a KOA for obvious reasons (no tent camping) but we did search out the GS parks because of the shower/bathroom ratings. We have been pleased with the campground owners acceptance & cooperation.

As much as I love our Motorhome, my wife & I still go camping with the motorcycle, pulling a little trailer behind us. It's all about the outdoors to us. We love it.
Deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

1. They weren't interested in having substantially discounted sites. They saw it as a losing proposition.

2. They envisioned those camped in the discounted sites wanting to use the showers, pool, laundry, etc., sneaking or boldly availing themselves of the same amenities as the full price campers.

You would need a full time person to police this! Just do the homework. In any business there are many,many price points. And I'm not a CG owner, I just see this as a huge hassle. heers!
Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #94

The person who really gets nailed is the tent camper, or small trailer owner. Campgrounds need to allocate more space for sites, more power requirements for big rigs, more sewage capability because some of these large rigs have washer dryers etc. people now heat their water electrically, heat with electric fireplaces, want cable tv, Internet, and I could keep on going. Federal regulations, taxes,insurance also play a part. Most people here are correct, need to check for reasonably priced campgrounds. Camping use to be sitting around a campfire enjoying the ability to meet people. Now people sit in their air condition coach watching cable tv. Lets not forget ice makers, dishwashers, large screen tv,s, electric griddles, microwaves, dual refrigerators, etc. we keep increasing the demands on campgrounds and expect to pay 1960 prices.
Been camping since 1968, seen the changes.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #95

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's simple.... don't go !
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #96

There is nothing wrong with asking for a lower rate. This will usually work. If you are there and see that they are not anywhere full, you can telling them that the site will just sit empty if you don't take. You can also ask for a better site (on the water or whatever). I personally have a hard time doing this, but my wife is very good. Our first choice is PassPort America. They have about 1800 campground in the US and a smart phone app.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #97

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bespos View Post
Stay at a Good Sam Prk 30 miles away from New Bern for $43-$47 rated 8.5 8.5 9.0 at the Twin Lakes RV Resort. I can't stand the over the top prices at certain KOA's...
If he wanted to see and tour New Bern,30 miles is a bit far to drive,at our KOA you are also paying for the river view. About 5 miles away on hwy 55 there is a no frills campground Moonlight Lake $25 a night,PA rate Sun-Wed. is half that. There are pictures on their website. Its clean,has a laundry,bath house,and not too far to drive into town,plus its less than 1/4 of a mile from my house-give out a hollar and I'll come see you!

Dianne
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post

We've stayed at a park that set some sites aside in a corridor for people who want to just stay for the evening and then go on to other destinations. They got discounted rates but that did not include electric, water or dumping. As soon as the owners and staff left for the evening these chiselers brought out their cords and hoses. Some even washed their rigs. They figured they would be gone before the staff returned in the morning. No wonder park owners don't want this type of arrangement. Sadly there are too many RV owners who will take advantage to save a few of their precious dollars

datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote