Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #99
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just found this KOA Press Release while browsing. I recall someone mentioning it a while ago.

BILLINGS, Mont. -- The Billings, Mont., KOA Campground will become the Billings KOA Holiday Campground on Friday, June 7, Kampgrounds of America announced today.

The change is the beginning of a new brand structure for the 51-year-old iconic North American camping company.Three new brand segments will better identify the specific offerings of KOA's 485 campgrounds for the millions of North American camping families that use KOA each year, according to KOA痴 Vice President of Marketing Toby Hedges.

Over the next few years, KOA campgrounds across North America will be re-branded as either a KOA Journey, a KOA Holiday or a KOA Resort campground, said Hedges.

鉄egmenting our famous KOA brand in this way will help our campers select just the KOA they need for their next trip, said Hedges. 摘ach KOA is unique, but each Journey, Holiday and Resort KOA will have amenities and services in common that will make it easier for campers to find just the right campground. KOA began 51 years ago right here in Billings, so it痴 only right that we should begin this new chapter for KOA at the Billings KOA Holiday.

KOA Journey Campgrounds are identified as convenient to major highways, include long pull-through sites and provide a relaxing overnight oasis for travelers.

KOA Holiday Campgrounds, such as the Billings KOA Holiday, are great base camps to explore the area, and include family activities and additional amenities to make these KOAs great getaways for short vacations, stated Hedges. They will also all feature KOA Deluxe Cabins, which include full bathrooms and kitchens.

KOA Resorts will offer campers a true resort-style vacation with luxurious pools, patio RV sites, Deluxe Cabin linen service and a specially trained activities and recreation staff.

For more information about Kampgrounds of America, visit www.KOA.com.

SOURCE: Kampgrounds of America press release

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #100

Very cool! You will have a 'better' idea of what you're getting!

Bucksmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #101

National RV Owners Club
There are a handful of websites which list free, or nearly free, campsites. Most are boondock but then, so is WalMart. We had a nice experience at the free one in Eugene, OR at their mall. Security checks you in and patrols all night. Do some research, there are a lot of independent campgrounds, state and county parks, sometimes fairgrounds. We have have found a couple of KOA's that we will always stay at when in their area, but the one in Astoria, OR...no. It had all of the amenities, pools, sauna etc. If they would ala carte those extras, it might be okay, but, to pay for things you will not use is not attractive. We are in a fairly basic campground at Westport, WA at the moment. $35 before AAA discount. However, accessibility to the docks for crabbing is worth the price. Do the research, I hope you will find some nice places.

JoAnn
Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #102

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check it out

We use the internet to know all of our costs before going. If you don't like the cost, don't go there. I do not find staying at Walmart or Sam's Club an option in all locations, depending upon local laws. If you want full hookups, there is a price for that, after all, electric, water, sewer, and land taxes have increased in every state that I know of.
We make reservations at city, county, state, and federal parks, but we do so a year in advance, where possible. Also, KOA and Good Sam Club have cards that offer discounts.
My example would be this: to stay at a hotel in September in San Diego on the ocean is around $250-$300 a night. I reserve a year in advance, get a great campsite on the water and pay $75 a night. Isn't that the real advantage of having the RV experience? To be able to be where you want to be, with the ones you love, at a great location?
suncityrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
I have stayed in a couple of KOA parks that were fairly nice, but most were not. I am resigned to the costs continuing to rise on everything including fuel and RV parks. When the government prints money like there's no tomorrow and spends it like drunken sailors (I hope I am not maligning any drunken sailors here), the price of everything will continue to go up. Things aren't worth any more, the money is just worth less..... That's my $0.02USD, I'll get ...angry.. if I think about it!
As a former drunken sailor, I stopped spending money when I ran out

Just my $0.02
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
I think this will be my last year RV'n the cost of keep'n the rig roadworthy the ins. the fuel the tires the ins the club dues. Then there is the cost of staying somewhere and even though I am careful I sometimes run afoul of disrespectful campers or unreasonable hosts. I'm thinking of selling the rig.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #105

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I agree !!!

I haven't stayed at KOA for 15 years, except one time when it was BOGO free weekend. We are actually growing out of camping for sport...more destination campers these days...and that leads me to the hybrid really does not fill our current need...looking at Class B motor homes lately...thinking about trading.

But LOL you know how well RVs hold value....NOT !

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I just pulled into the KOA in New Bern, NC. The charge for a basic site with 50 amp service is $60.00 per day. That isn稚 acceptable to me. We planned to stay for two days, but the fees made us elect a single day only because we were here and stuck.

We checked another KOA in Wilmington, NC for the next night. That fee is $65.00 per night.

Enough is enough! I値l not pay those fees. These rates are destroying the RV experience. Walmart is the only option, and how long will that last?

I致e been RVing since the 1950痴. Now it is ending quite a pity!

Wil
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:09 PM   #106

We are in a beautiful RV Park just outside of Portland Oregon and paying $34 a night. And this is a 5 W park. Pool, flowers, grass, 50amps, exercise room. More like an RV resort. You are just in the wrong part of the USA is all. Come west.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #107

Tiffin Owners Club
Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
I haven't stayed at KOA for 15 years, except one time when it was BOGO free weekend. We are actually growing out of camping for sport...more destination campers these days...and that leads me to the hybrid really does not fill our current need...looking at Class B motor homes lately...thinking about trading.
But LOL you know how well RVs hold value....NOT !
George
I've been looking into the Class B too most are very pricy except for the older units. I also read a book on Van Camping. Van Camping would be okay for a few days and seems like it could be fun at least for a while and I could use the van for other things when not camping. I'm going to give it some thought.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #108

We stayed at a KOA... once. At 67 bucks it was hard to justify paying close to motel 6 rates just for a flat spot to park the trailer for one night but after a long day on the road we were too tired to care. We don't travel with kids so are not interested in all the amenities.
If that is what some people want they need to be prepared to pay, facilities like that don't come free, but if that don't float yer boat do a little advance planning.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 AM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I just pulled into the KOA in New Bern, NC. The charge for a basic site with 50 amp service is $60.00 per day. That isn稚 acceptable to me. We planned to stay for two days, but the fees made us elect a single day only because we were here and stuck.

We checked another KOA in Wilmington, NC for the next night. That fee is $65.00 per night.

Enough is enough! I値l not pay those fees. These rates are destroying the RV experience. Walmart is the only option, and how long will that last?

I致e been RVing since the 1950痴. Now it is ending quite a pity!

Wil
Louisiana and most other State Parks range from 18.00 to 30 dollars with more space. KOA's are dirty and to close together on there spots. Load Parky RV.com and it will tell you all RV Parks in whatever area and all Walmarts.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 AM   #110

We've camped at a few KOA's in Washington, Oregon & Calif. Some are nice and some are plain awful. My favorite is the one in Lynden, Wa. It has a very pretty setting with a manmade lake in the middle and lots of trees. I remember one bad one was in Astoria, Or. It had a washroom/shower building in the center that had continual flooding drains and up to an inch of water throughout. Pretty disgusting that they couldn't fix it PDQ and was like that the entire time we were there. I recall one employee saying it was like that a lot. The pool was horribly filthy. Some are simply very poorly maintained.

Besides things like the condition, facilities and layout, what we don't like is the general clientele. There are often screaming kids with no parental control, loud parties and drinking, loud music, poor cg management and too often, poor campground etiquette . Seems to attract the more inexperienced and occasional campers.

We're now what you call "mature and discerning". We appreciate a better maintained cg, a decent level of peace & quiet, respectful fellow campers, better privacy, etc. We have had a membership in KM Resorts in Washington about 2 years. Sure it cost a few grand to join but at the rate we're camping now, we'll have it paid off in about another year (based on paying $50 at places like KOA) and then it's free campin' after that (except for annual dues). They have about 10 cgs incl. one in Or. We also have membership through KM in affiliate cgs like RPI, C-C, Thousand Trails, etc. We stayed in one affiliate cg last year for 35 cents!

We just spent 5 nights in a Thousand Trails in La Conner, Wa. for under $30/night. Great cg. We were right next to the ocean and could watch the sun set across the water. Lots of trees and sites are quite private. In fact, too many trees actually. We got our TT wedged between one tree at the front and one at the back on the way out of our site and had to be rescued by a tractor!! Lots of fellow campers watching and helping! Made for a fun final day....

I just don't see the attraction of KOA anymore esp. when you have to pay $50+ a night.

I recall that the CEO of KOA was on Undercover Boss a couple of years ago. Not impressed with the show. They cherry picked a few of the nice cgs. So misleading... Seemed more like a cheap way for a KOA promo.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:45 AM   #111

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All good points .....check rates ,should have because the amounts have really gotton quit costly....
Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #112

Don't have time to read the entire thread, but Corp of Engineers campground are economical [$24 or less]. Some have full hookups and are generally clean and well kept.
50% for those with easily available discount passes [senior/disabled] and generally allow 14 day stay. I have been living in them for nearly two year now.