Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #113

I have to put a word in that is positive about KOA RV Parks. The condition and amenities of the parks vary and so to the prices they charge. We have stayed at plenty of KOA's who's cost was reasonable. Of course a simple step to avoid paying more than you want to is ask the price when booking. If the price is too high for you, don't stay there.

My overall experience with KOA parks is that they tend to try and get younger families with kids. They sometimes have amenities for that purpose. When they do have extra amenities they charge for them. The summer we have not stayed at many KOAs, but last summer we did. In general I find them above average in both condition and cost. But not all are good. Checking with RV Park Reviews helps to discern which is which.

I would gag on parks that cost 67 bucks. Why stay there?
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
I have to put a word in that is positive about KOA

I would gag on parks that cost 67 bucks. Why stay there?
You're right... I would gag too!
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #115

Lots of information

After reading through all the posts I have discovered a wealth of information hidden in the posts! Thanks to all who have shared their experience and information for those of us newbies! This forum is the best!

RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #116

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You should join Passport America. We stayed in New Bern for less than $20.00
hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydro45640 View Post
You should join Passport America. We stayed in New Bern for less than $20.00
Are they now allowing people the discount on weekends, holiday weekends and for more than 3 night stays?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Depends on the campground. When you join Passport America you get a directory or you can get their free mobile app. I've yet to pay more than $17 at a PPA campground.
When I looked up the information they weren't allowing discounts on weekends, holidays or for more than 3 nights... something like that. So if you camp for 3 days/nights between Monday and Thursday, you get the discount. Hardly worth it.......... maybe someone else knows for sure, has more updated info on it.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 AM   #119

Each Passport America campground has it's own restrictions. The idea is to fill sites that would otherwise be empty. Many of the costs of a campground are fixed like mortgage, taxes, insurance, ETC. They go on no matter what. The variable cost like water, sewage, electricity, happen only when a site is full. When a site empty, no revenue is earned. I have heard from owners that the variable costs are around $3.00. When a half price site is rented, a whole lot goes to defray the fixed costs of the campground instead of nothing. There is no way that a smart campground owner would do a discount during the weekend of a NASCAR race, but a summer weekend in Florida is welcome income. Hence the restrictions which are set not by Passport America, but by each individual campground. It is a win win situation. We have used PPA well over 100 times. We have found that the quality range of parks is about the same as the over all range of all campground. Belonging can save you big bucks. They also have a Smart Phone app.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #120

Good information Lindsay.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

X3 on Lindsay's comments.

We've never had a problem making our PA membership pay for itself. Then again, we travel quite a bit and are able to take advantage of using it when it's available.

If one is only an occasional weekend camper who stays pretty close to home it may well not pay for itself.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #122

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Happy Camper Club is a 50% off!
The Happy Camper Club - Happy Camper Is A 50% Discount Club For RVers & Campers Of All Types

Of course you can also volunteer and get a full hook up
site free for a month! At national parks, states and others.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #123

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
When I looked up the information they weren't allowing discounts on weekends, holidays or for more than 3 nights... something like that. So if you camp for 3 days/nights between Monday and Thursday, you get the discount. Hardly worth it.......... maybe someone else knows for sure, has more updated info on it.

The weekend discount varies depending on where you are going. We have stayed weekends at some PA's that give the discount on weekends and we have stayed at PA where we paid full price for the weekend but received the discount before the weekend. One PA campground near Savannah only gives you the discount on the second night and that doesn't help for an overnighter. We do use Passport America as often as possible but as mentioned above the individual parks have guidelines that may conflict with our travel plans. Overall the PA has saved us camping fees but we do travel a lot.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I just pulled into the KOA in New Bern, NC. The charge for a basic site with 50 amp service is $60.00 per day. That isn’t acceptable to me. We planned to stay for two days, but the fees made us elect a single day only because we were here and stuck.

We checked another KOA in Wilmington, NC for the next night. That fee is $65.00 per night.

Enough is enough! I’ll not pay those fees. These rates are destroying the RV experience. Walmart is the only option, and how long will that last?

I’ve been RVing since the 1950’s. Now it is ending – quite a pity!

Wil
The obvious moral to your story is, do not continue to stay at KOA's.
OTOH, if you step down to a tent-camper and small SUV you save enough money to camp at KOA. I don't like paying more per night than a motel room costs, but my choice is to own and travel in a MH, the cost of doing so is part of the choice.
We have saved more on camping fees in one month than our annual PPA membership cost. Being retired means we don't travel much on weekends, so individual CG limitations seldom affect us.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
The weekend discount varies depending on where you are going. We have stayed weekends at some PA's that give the discount on weekends and we have stayed at PA where we paid full price for the weekend but received the discount before the weekend. One PA campground near Savannah only gives you the discount on the second night and that doesn't help for an overnighter. We do use Passport America as often as possible but as mentioned above the individual parks have guidelines that may conflict with our travel plans. Overall the PA has saved us camping fees but we do travel a lot.
I guess that can work for people who don't mind checking beforehand so they can make plans to stay where the best deal is at the time... that wouldn't work for the rest of us.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #126

Quote:
I guess that can work for people who don't mind checking beforehand so they can make plans to stay where the best deal is at the time... that wouldn't work for the rest of us.
Works for anybody with a mobile phone and even better with a smart phone with their free app. I can't imagine it not working for anybody. We rarely make reservations more than a couple of hours ahead and PPA is usually our first choice. All of the campgrounds have their own restrictions and we just have to work around them. If it wasn't for the restrictions, there would be no discount clubs. Frequently we ask about going around the restrictions. If they have a one night minimum, they will usually immediate go to two if you ask. If they are not full or have no realistic prospects of being full, why not. Their options are half price or nothing with a minimal variable cost.