Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM   #15

Stay at a Good Sam Prk 30 miles away from New Bern for $43-$47 rated 8.5 8.5 9.0 at the Twin Lakes RV Resort. I can't stand the over the top prices at certain KOA's...
Bespos is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Neither are those RV'ers that stay there since Wal*Marts official policy is to welcome them. Some areas don't allow it but that's not Wal*Marts doing.
I agree! My interest lie else where. A great mountain view. Lovely brook. The option to support the local merchant, ie: the campground owner that is the basis of small business for his or her community. Just a thought !
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
For a simply over night when traveling thur I don't bother any more with campsites unless forced to. $50 per night is to much. We stay at Flying J 's or Walmart's

In Canada our fees have been going up also and we have a hard time seeing the value for what we pay.

I would gladly pay half the amount for overnight sites simply because we aren't using the offered facility's ie: pool, showers etc. just a bit of hydro for the night. When traveling were normally on the road by 9am. Basically we would only be there for less then 12 hours.
Bert_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Looked for rates for an overnight motel stay in Fort Stockton, TX, the armpit of Texas, and the cheapest was $79 for a night.

Looked in the the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base Inn, and it is $52 a night.

Fixed income sucks.
Feel your pain, work between 40-70 hours a week and I get paid the same regardless, yep fixed income....
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy (ret).
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
After the last KOA and the manager that likes to keep track of who's talking to who and for how long and who everyone goes to visit and writes it all down (and we have it on tape that's what he does) both Thom and I have said no thanks anymore.
We just look on the map app that's on the phone and we look up "RV park campground resort" and it pulls up all kinds of rv parks.
On another note about one place we stayed at last year in Texas. We asked about discounts, ie Good Sam, military, etc. The guy said that they had Good Sam in last year that wanted them to become one of their parks but in order for them to do it they wanted them to up their price from $20 to $30 to then offer the discount ... the guy politely declined and is still private and doing quite well.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wil01 View Post
I just pulled into the KOA in New Bern, NC. The charge for a basic site with 50 amp service is $60.00 per day. That isn’t acceptable to me. We planned to stay for two days, but the fees made us elect a single day only because we were here and stuck.

We checked another KOA in Wilmington, NC for the next night. That fee is $65.00 per night.

Enough is enough! I’ll not pay those fees. These rates are destroying the RV experience. Walmart is the only option, and how long will that last?

I’ve been RVing since the 1950’s. Now it is ending – quite a pity!

Wil

Remember in the '70s when the same comments about KOAs were made when they were charging $15.00/night. We sure did "badmouth" KOAs then.

I paid all of $2800 for a new 22ft TT in those days.

McGrath SP in CA is $45/night with no power and in TX SPs I pay $33.00/night. Gotta love the COE parks at $11.00/night with senior discount. COE's might be the best deal we get from the Feds this year.

Cost of having fun just keeps going up.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #21

My wife's sister and husband stayed at a KOA last year. I was going to stop by for a few minutes to visit before I went home. They wanted to charge me $10 or $20 (cant remember exactly) just to enter the camp ground to visit for less than 30 min. Lost my taste for them at that time.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #22

i know my wife is Disabled and for the state parks with a MY PASS they give you it some times giving where the park is free 75% to 50% off up to 14 days

if you guys are on SSI and dont have the pass i would get it
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep
On
Adding

My last choice when looking for a spot to land.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #24
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree - KOA's are spendy and often lacking... my favorite places are often county parks, but they are hard to locate and rarely in guides. You might try going to the City or county gov. website in the location you want to stay and look there. They are often real deals and in lovely locations.

iRV2 Custom Search Tool
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:14 PM   #25

We had a totally different experience at a KOA just north of Longview, WA this season. It was a very well-kept, terraced hill-side site. Full hook-ups, a fenced dog exercise area for off-leash activities and within eay reach or the Mount St.Helens area.

We were there just as a first stop on the way from home to the Oregon coast and just stayed the one night. I think the fee was $40. Definitely a place we'll use again as it's a very convenient distance from home for a first night stop.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:23 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
KOA are good family oriented camping sites. KOS means Keep On Adding. There are many alternatives. Wal marts and the likes are great for an occasional over nite, but face it they are not camp grounds. Try Passport America, or join some membership camp ground. 1000 trails zone pass gives me 60 nights for $499.00 annually, the nights aren't feree but divide 60 into 499 and it is less than 10 bucks a night. Also there is Resorts international, coast to Coast, Good Sam's all offer some kind of a deal. There are many City, State, National, Army corp of engineers and others who have deals worth investigating. Choose what fits your budget. Each one has it plus and minus. safe travels ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm finding miserable people running RV parks, that make you feel like they are doing you a favor taking your money, to stay in their park !
Staying in hotels is the opposite. The front desk have big smiles on their face, making you feel welcome !
Old 07-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We had a totally different experience at a KOA just north of Longview, WA this season. It was a very well-kept, terraced hill-side site. Full hook-ups, a fenced dog exercise area for off-leash activities and within eay reach or the Mount St.Helens area.

We were there just as a first stop on the way from home to the Oregon coast and just stayed the one night. I think the fee was $40. Definitely a place we'll use again as it's a very convenient distance from home for a first night stop.
Is that the one east of Castle Rock towards Mt St Helens? We bypass it and go on to Silver Cove RV Resort. Cheaper ($32 a night (GS or FMCA discount rate) and includes cable) and nicer as far as we're concerned. A little further at mile post 9 but still easy access to everything.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote