RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2019, 12:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I must be evolving

A year ago I would have never done this, but I just made reservations over New Years in Palm Springs at $116/day, and Im fine with it. Basically the cost of a plane ticker somewhere for one person where I wouldn't have my own bed, kitchen, bath, linens etc and Im taking three grandsons, so that would be four plane tickets.

So yes, thats expensive, but its a pretty nice place and looking at the overall travel budget, its actually pretty economical. So....evolving. I think my associatin with this forum has also had considerable influence. And I like where this is going

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #2

Any opportunity to spoil the grandkids is a good thing.
Make sure to buy lots of sweets and treats and have a great time!

2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:01 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Apply for a job in the area and write it off as a job seeking business expense.

Pretty much anything nice in California is going to be $100.00. Between fuel and campgrounds, it's cheaper for us to drive out of state to camp. We're doing New Years at Lopez Lake, a San Luis Obispo County Park. They've raised their prices to $43.00 a night. One of the few places left at that price with hook ups (30amps).
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Apply for a job in the area and write it off as a job seeking business expense.

Pretty much anything nice in California is going to be $100.00. Between fuel and campgrounds, it's cheaper for us to drive out of state to camp. We're doing New Years at Lopez Lake, a San Luis Obispo County Park. They've raised their prices to $43.00 a night. One of the few places left at that price with hook ups (30amps).
Well Im also hitting the Newmar dealers, hence Palm Desert. Moorpark is also on the list after New Years as are Pismo and Paso Robles.

Lopez Lake looks nice - we might over-night there on the 3rd or 4th depending on how the schedule looks.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Two years ago we camped in the Florida keys for new years. I was in sticker shock at $125 a night for a postage size site in an over crowded campground.
I have evolved so that i don't faint anymore at $60 a night but still $100 or more gives me heart failure
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Two years ago we camped in the Florida keys for new years. I was in sticker shock at $125 a night for a postage size site in an over crowded campground.
I have evolved so that i don't faint anymore at $60 a night but still $100 or more gives me heart failure
x2 $60 or less with every discount I can get. I live in the MH almost all summer so, I need clean an inexpensive. Don't need resort amenities. Nice site (gravel) and clean restrooms, decent store and I am good. Don't even need a pool. It is great that there are still choices.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im certainly not going to make a habit out of it but it worked out for my purposes this time around.

A couple of noteworthy over-priced (IMHO) parks on the Ca coast:

Moro Dunes RV park - around $100, just a converted asphalt parking lot, although it is right in front of Moro Rock

Moss Landing KOA express, also $100 parking lot, nice, neat, clean, but not much else in the way of redeeming qualities

I generally steer clear of “resorts” and look for small county, state, or US parks, and small out of the way Mom and Pop RV parks. This is a treat for my grandkids and me and its close to the Newmar dealer where we’ll spend several hours.

Also my nine year old 30’ Bay Star may raise some eyebrows in this highbrow resort, and my three young grandsons might just push them over the edge. But at least no dogs this time.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is wrong with a nine year old BayStar? How does anyone know how old it is? Have fun. Someone once said people buy things they can't afford, with money they don't have to impress people they don't know or don't like. Go out there and have fun. That is all that matters.

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote