Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I Need A Drink!

Well ... after weeks of planning to do it, and then waving 'em off because of rain, pressing needs to go grocery shopping, the neighbors had guests ... and all other manner of excuses - today was the day! Yep, just got home from taking my wife out for her first lesson on driving the coach.

Having tried on multiple occasions to help her with her computer - I know for a fact that she does not take well to being told what to do or how to do it. She must have been pretty scared of the coach however - because today, she was all ears! She went forward .... she stopped ... she went left ... she went right ... she went straight (sorta!) ... she stopped again. We racked up more than 10 miles in the parking lot at the local mall with her practicing turns in every direction. She then drove us back to our storage lot over the "open road".

Truth of the matter is - she did real well. She's been going thru the "pre-flight" with me every time we've gone out - so she's got all of that down pretty well. Now she's got a taste of driving the beast. We'll just have to keep on her to practice regularly. If I play my cards right - I'm going to have a competent co-driver in the not to distant future!

SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

I feel your pain

We don't have a coach yet, but have test driven 2.

First was a 36 in an early morning mall parking lot. She drove for about 5 minutes and finally took her foot totally off the brake!!!

Drove a 43 this weekend, she was happy to sit on the couch and observe.

I did tell her she will have to learn to drive it. She has driven my old 3/4 ton diesel pickup pulling a 25' boat, but only on the interstate.

Time will tell.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We had a truck camper combo, Class C and a gas Class A. My wife doesn't like to drive, but was capable of driving all of those. The DP is a different story. She could easily drive it, my concern would be learning the nuances of the engine brake operation when descending a grade towing our 6K truck. It's a lot to learn and understand.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My DW drove the Winnebago Vista 32 we rented last year. She did 35 or so miles on the freeway the first day we picked it up. She didn't have any real problems - until we came to a major "whichity-way" on the freeway with multiple lanes going in multiple directions. There was a stretch where traffic lined up to put us side by side between two 18 wheelers as we rounded the gentle curve of a fork in the freeway ... in thickening traffic going 55..ish. My DW did NOT like that at all. Although she handled it well ... she pulled off the freeway at the next exit - said "you drive" and left the driving to me for the rest of the trip. I asked if she wanted to drive again later in the trip ... by again, she was happy to leave it to me. Hey, if somebody ain't feeling it ... it's not something you want to push.

DW did fine today - racking up 10+ miles in a large mall parking lot. She's got braking and turning down well enough to drive on reasonably wide surface streets in light traffic. She needs a lesson a lesson on driving it on the freeway (a feel for gauging your speed, getting comfortable sitting in your lane, judging the space required for lane changes, an intro to using the engine brake, etc.).

After that - we'll do a lesson in backing up. Frankly, that's something we both improve with practice.

I'm just happy that we're making progress in this regard. Having a second capable driver is a good thing - and we both understand that.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 PM   #5

You're a much better teacher that I am. Ten years of boats and trying to get her to drive one..."Honey, what if I fall overboard and you have to pick me up?". "SweetiePie, what if I stroke out and you need to get me to a hospital?".

You know those looks you get when you feel like the minnow in a bass tank? I sure wish she like to drive as much as she likes to cook!!
Old 06-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was a hesitant driver for every RV we've owned (SUV/TT, truck/5-r, coach/Jeep)...at first, but Dave knew I could do it. We practiced with each RV in large, empty parking lots until I felt comfortable. We actually do much better parking if I'm the driver & he's giving the directions. Even after 15 years, I'm not a good signal giver.

After I had taken a driving course where I had to back the coach up, slalom-style, for 250ft using only my mirrors (no back up camera) I knew I could tackle pretty much anything. The only things that make me "white knuckle it" are narrow construction lanes & high winds.

I'm a firm believer a co-pilot needs to be able to drive their RV. Emergencies do happen & I won't be helpless should such an emergency happen where Dave can't drive.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 PM   #7

Good for you! We firmly believe that BOTH should drive a RV and should share everything about it, including dumping!

On a trip to Alaska we took turns daily of driving. That is an excellent place to learn, by the way - very little traffic.

You never know when one driver would become sick, sprain an ankle, etc.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
I on the other hand see no real reason to force my wife to learn how to drive. She does not want to even though she is a good driver, no wrecks and one ticket in 40 years. If I get sick while driving to the point I can't drive it will either be a 911 call or me pulling into a campground. She can fully unhook or hook-up the toad so she will always have and out and if I need relief I pull over and rest. She does know how to do everything else including dumping, works perfectly for us.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
IC2

I'm happy to see this thread as it is a reminder of something I need to do soon. We have had some sort of TT or 5er for many years and of course, they just keep getting longer, taller, wider, heavier along with the inevitable, more costly. My wife has been more then happy to let me do 100% of the driving while she does whatever a co-pilot does. She has driven almost every TV we have owned though the ancient and long gone '79 SCLB almost did her in on the narrow streets of a large eastern city (Burlington, VT). While I wont expect her to back our 59 feet of bendy articulated combined length 5er and truck, she will need to at least know how to drive it on an interstate at 60-65mph and before our next extended trip coming soon.

So, with that said, I have to start making some plans
Old 06-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
I on the other hand see no real reason to force my wife to learn how to drive.
In our case - nobody was being forced. Even though my wife has been happy to leave the driving to me ... AND ... even though we both think of the seat behind the wheel as my chair - we both feel that having two capable drivers on board is best for everybody involved. Now, after a few weeks of procrastination - we finally took action to make an opportunity for her to get being the wheel.

I fully expect that I'll do most of the driving regardless. I've served as the primary driver whenever we're in the car together for more than 30 years - and neither of us expect that to change. We'll simply ensure she gets enough time behind the wheel to develop and keep her coach driving skills "fresh" so that her driving is a viable option in the event we need her to drive.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
My wife learned on a 31' Class C, took it out herself lots of times to dog shows.

When we first got the Class A I did all the driving the first trip. I got her to go with me to get propane and she drove back, the road was very narrow, deep ditches and curves. I was climbing out of my seat as I tried to explain that if she got the front wheel in the ditch she wouldn't be able to steer out of it. She started screaming, I started screaming, she swore she would never drive it again with me in it.

She has driven some while we are together but I do +90% of the driving. She has taken it solo and is completely comfortable pulling our Jeep.

My only problem is she does not try to learn any of the solutions to any of the problems we've had and I've had to talk her through "stuff" remotely. I will spend hours reading the manual and or these forums trying to learn everything about my rig. Luckily we've been able to coexist this way.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My only problem is she does not try to learn any of the solutions to any of the problems we've had and I've had to talk her through "stuff" remotely. I will spend hours reading the manual and or these forums trying to learn everything about my rig. Luckily we've been able to coexist this way.
I'm a computer nerd by trade ... my wife is a pediatric intensive care nurse. We have very different approaches to technology. I have a need to understand what things do and how they work ... I also feel compelled to understand how systems interact. Conversely, my DW just doesn't seem to care about the whats, hows and/or whys - all she wants is the briefest explanation of what button does she need to push.

Our approach to "coexisting" is for me to figure it all out ... then provide her with the Readers Digest version. The Readers Digest version has to skip over all the explanations of what it is and how it works. I have to simply attach a name to whatever it is ... tell here "you use it in this situation" ... and then explain the sequence of buttons that have to be pressed.

As long as everything is working correctly - she's fine. Let something cease to work - and she's completely lost in terms of troubleshooting it since she don't have a clue as to how it is supposed to operate.

I'm also there as the designated scapegoat. When she doesn't know something and/or can't figure it out when she's got to do it on her own - it's my fault for not teaching it to her correctly.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
I'm a computer nerd by trade ... my wife is a pediatric intensive care nurse. We have very different approaches to technology. I have a need to understand what things do and how they work ... I also feel compelled to understand how systems interact. Conversely, my DW just doesn't seem to care about the whats, hows and/or whys - all she wants is the briefest explanation of what button does she need to push.

Our approach to "coexisting" is for me to figure it all out ... then provide her with the Readers Digest version. The Readers Digest version has to skip over all the explanations of what it is and how it works. I have to simply attach a name to whatever it is ... tell here "you use it in this situation" ... and then explain the sequence of buttons that have to be pressed.

As long as everything is working correctly - she's fine. Let something cease to work - and she's completely lost in terms of troubleshooting it since she don't have a clue as to how it is supposed to operate.

I'm also there as the designated scapegoat. When she doesn't know something and/or can't figure it out when she's got to do it on her own - it's my fault for not teaching it to her correctly.
Welcome to the club, I feel your pain.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 PM   #14

My wife was resistant to driving our class A motorhome, but I figured she would come around eventually. Then, I had a left front tire blow at 55 MPH, which immediately sucked the MH into oncoming traffic. I was able to get back in my own lane, but it was a wild ride.

There's no way she will ever drive a MH now!