Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
I need a few accessories and I want your suggestions.

There are a few comfort items that I'm missing in my bus. I've had them in my cars and have come to, well.... if not rely on them, at least really like having them to use. I want these items to be well built and look nice when installed. I'm searching the net looking as well as posting, but I would better like a response from someone who has used the product.

Item #1. I'd like a clock for my dash. I would actually like it to be a surface mount so I can just glance at it for the time. Digital would be preferred but not black LCD. Too hard to see at night, even back-lit. I'd like it to be red or blue, 1" numbers (ish)...

Item #2. I miss my compass. I've been looking at amazon for a nautical wet compass. I will also look for an aviation style. Again, dash mount. I not opposed to putting it on the windshield but it's so far away from the driver's seat that it would be really hard to read unless it was huge.

Finally #3. I don't have an outside thermometer. All my cars have the readout right in the dash so I can see it. If I have one in the Silverleaf someplace I haven't found it yet. But even if I do, I'd like another unit that can be used regardless if I'm moving. Like a home weather station. I know I could get one from Radio Shack but I'm just checking with you all to see if someone has found something a little more compact for use in an RV.

Thanks for any personal input you can provide.
Don

Stratman50th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

50PCS Vehicle Car Auto LCD Display Digital Clock Thermometer Temperature Monitor Calendar Clip Auto Car Desktop Dashboard Clock-in Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
But this may be more versatile:
http://www.amazon.com/Digital-LCD-Di.../dp/B00AKR2W22

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A GPS will take care of the time and compass.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman50th View Post
There are a few comfort items that I'm missing in my bus. I've had them in my cars and have come to, well.... if not rely on them, at least really like having them to use. I want these items to be well built and look nice when installed. I'm searching the net looking as well as posting, but I would better like a response from someone who has used the product.

Item #1. I'd like a clock for my dash. I would actually like it to be a surface mount so I can just glance at it for the time. Digital would be preferred but not black LCD. Too hard to see at night, even back-lit. I'd like it to be red or blue, 1" numbers (ish)...

Item #2. I miss my compass. I've been looking at amazon for a nautical wet compass. I will also look for an aviation style. Again, dash mount. I not opposed to putting it on the windshield but it's so far away from the driver's seat that it would be really hard to read unless it was huge.

Finally #3. I don't have an outside thermometer. All my cars have the readout right in the dash so I can see it. If I have one in the Silverleaf someplace I haven't found it yet. But even if I do, I'd like another unit that can be used regardless if I'm moving. Like a home weather station. I know I could get one from Radio Shack but I'm just checking with you all to see if someone has found something a little more compact for use in an RV.

Thanks for any personal input you can provide.
Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
A GPS will take care of the time and compass.
Cat320

Stratman50th
To measure/monitor temperature in 3 different locations I use one of these, (with 3 remote sensors): Taylor USA | Wireless Digital Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer
One to monitor the outside temperature... the 2nd for the temperature in the refrigerator...and the 3rd in my water bay in cold weather...(in the bedroom in warm weather).
BTW, I've found that lithium batteries, (in the monitor and all 3 remotes), last 2-3 times longer than alkaline batteries
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mel - where did you mount the outside temp sender?
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2-zone temp monitor, but it's going flaky on me and needs to be replaced. I used to keep one of the sensors in my water bay, and the second was in my LP tank bay--to keep it out of the rain, but to allow me to monitor "outside" weather, since the LP tank is open to the environment with no floor.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:15 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
Statgeek

Good thinking! Why didn't I think of that? Going out today to get one.

Bob
Old 01-29-2015, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Mel - where did you mount the outside temp sender?
jplante4
I mounted my OS temp remote sensor/transmitter on a frame rail under my coach... as far as possible from the engine, radiator, tires and the propane tank as possible... (because they can/will affect the temperature of the air around/near them).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #9

Try West Marine for a compass. Bear in mind it's going to have huge errors because of all the steel.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:43 PM   #10

X2 on gps. Also, I look for the sun. For weather, I stick my head out the door. Don't need more electronics to deal with when they fail. K.I.S.S.
Rusty years is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:56 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Re your GPS... Just a thought... If you already own an iPad that has capability to go on the cellular network, consider the Rand McNally RV GPS app. You do NOT need to activate the cellular capabilities of the iPad to make it work--it's just that those models also have an internal GPS receiver in them.

That app costs $99 which is outrageous compared to the typical iPad App, but is a steal compared to comparable RV GPSs devices. And... It's a very good GPS imho. I like it better than my TomTom that is integrated in my RV's Sony radio.. It is RV specific, with setting for your height, weight, and other relevant routing data. I have not yet seen an integrated GPS that has those features. Yes, my integrated GPS looks nicer, but that won't matter much to me if I use it and it routes me under a 12' underpass. It'll look pretty crappy with my newly developed "sun-roof."

Also... My iPad is an older generation, not the iPad mini. The screen is very large compared to any standalone GPS. Awesome.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Cat320

Stratman50th
To measure/monitor temperature in 3 different locations I use one of these, (with 3 remote sensors): Taylor USA | Wireless Digital Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer
One to monitor the outside temperature... the 2nd for the temperature in the refrigerator...and the 3rd in my water bay in cold weather...(in the bedroom in warm weather).
BTW, I've found that lithium batteries, (in the monitor and all 3 remotes), last 2-3 times longer than alkaline batteries
Mel
'96 Safari
Hey Mel, I just looked it up. Not a bad price on amazon either. How much for the extra sensors? Also, is it backlit?
Thanks,
Don
Old 01-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
Try West Marine for a compass. Bear in mind it's going to have huge errors because of all the steel.
Thanks John, I have a west marine not too far from me. I was looking at aircraft compasses and liked the kind I used in the helicopter, a full face with the compass rose in a circle vertically and the aircraft nose pointing up. They were great. Price was over $500. I don't need that compass that bad....