Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #15

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks so much to everyone -- I may have to look into a custom one! I've tried every topper from memory foam to egg crate. I think the mattress underneath is just that bad. Camping world has an inner spring and a memory foam but in my area they don't have them set up so you can 'try' them before buying which is a challenge too! But I really do appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin
As an aside, I was worried about putting something in the bedroom called 'memory foam'. I didn't really want my bed remembering anything, but nobody makes a 'denial foam' topper yet.
Hillarious!

Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #17

Give the 4" memory topper a try (it's not that egg-crate stuff). Ours came from Wal-Mart. If it doesn't help you sleep, it's a lot easier to return than a mattress. Do places even take mattress' back???
Old 06-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at Serta. Serta is designed for rigid box springs, so they work well on your rigid RV platform.
Old 06-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
As an aside, I was worried about putting something in the bedroom called 'memory foam'. I didn't really want my bed remembering anything, but nobody makes a 'denial foam' topper yet.
Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:30 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
8 inch Temperpedic Love it got it from overstock.com and used a electric carving knife to cut it down to fit the length since ours is a short queen
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #21

Mattress

We just bought this from Camping world as the original mattress in our brand new toy hauler was worse than sleeping on concrete with marbles spread about. We caught this on sale and it has great reviews.

I just unpacked it today and it is already a marked improvement over stock and is not yet fully expanded..

Eurotop Innerspring Mattresses - Product - Camping World
Old 06-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #22

I'll keep looking as I can't stand any of the 'foam types'. Will look into the Serta and also a 'custom'.
GWinger
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billua View Post
We just bought this from Camping world as the original mattress in our brand new toy hauler was worse than sleeping on concrete with marbles spread about. We caught this on sale and it has great reviews.

I just unpacked it today and it is already a marked improvement over stock and is not yet fully expanded..

Eurotop Innerspring Mattresses - Product - Camping World
Thanks Billua! That Eurotop Innerspring at Camping World is one of the ones I looked at. Unfortunately they don't have one in the store that I can "try".
Old 06-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
Give the 4" memory topper a try (it's not that egg-crate stuff). Ours came from Wal-Mart. If it doesn't help you sleep, it's a lot easier to return than a mattress. Do places even take mattress' back???
Yep - I tried that too and even a feather bed on top of the mattress :-( I'm really not like the girl in princess and the pea - honest! :-) You're right you can't return mattresses unless you buy it from QVC. So I need to be as sure as possible before I part with the $$. Thanks so much!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric65 View Post
8 inch Temperpedic Love it got it from overstock.com and used a electric carving knife to cut it down to fit the length since ours is a short queen
Thanks, If I go this route - may I borrow your electric knife?? :-)
Old 08-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric65 View Post
Mavric65 thanks for the carving knife tip. I bought a memory foam mattress from Costco for our short queen. Initially I tried to be lazy and tried to cut it with a box opener...yuck. After two small cuts I went inside for the carving knife. How simple it was. I wish carving a turkey was that simple. Thanks again you saved me a lot of time...Warren
Old 08-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #27
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
we also have the short queen, which for my DH, who is over 6' tall is way too short.

I put a regular sized memory foam topper on it and placed a body pillow between the wall and the mattress - which extends the bed enough to fully extend the topper. Now hubby can fully extend on the mattress.

The short queen was purchased from a local mattress maker. Next time I will just buy a regular queen - but we were newbies at the time and thought we had to go with what was originally there! Yes, it leaves less room between the mattress and the wall near the feet, but who really spends that much time in there that it becomes a problem?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #28
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ours came with a crap mattress and we tried the memory foam and found it very hot and would shift at night and slide a little off the edge of the bed. It was initially comfortable, until it got hot. Another thing to think about is the weight of the memory foam. If you have underbed storage and use it frequently, you'll find it difficult to lift.

We broke down and bought a good quality pillow top mattress that was similar to what we use in our house. We took the cheap mattress and box spring from the new mattress and put it in our guest room with the foam topper. This way, guests won't stay more than one night!

We looked forward to crawling into our MH bed, it's ssooooo comfortable.

We also use the same pillows in both the house and MH.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote