Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-28-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Talking Let's Roll!

We are your age and when we first brought up the subject, our older son was all for it and our younger son was totally against it.

We did it anyway and now younger son is totally interested in the prospect of our hitting the road.

Go for it. We only pass this way once and if it turns out it wasn't a great idea for you, at least you gave it a go.

Ken & Val [Lexi's mom] Moczygemba & Tori the dog
Adkins, TX southeast of San Antonio, TX [Go Spurs!]
2015 Forest River FR 3
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
For inspiration here are blogs of several single women on the road. Worth contacting to get their perspective. We've met several of these ladies on our travels:

And this is a great (and very active) singles RV club:

12 paws, 40 feet and the open road
WheelingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
I say go for it. The wife and I are 68 & 69 and are still doing fine. If your healthy, tell
the kids you appreciate their concerns, but it's time for you to chase your dream. Kiss
them so-long and tell them when you are now planning to return. Best of luck to you.
Maybe we will se you down the road.
1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:28 PM   #18
Listen to other peoples opinions, then form your own.

Joe Fenech
1998 Itasca Sunflyer
Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #19

I bought my bucket list filler at age 67 (I'm now 67 ) and am just as ....more excited that I've ever been with buying another boat. It's freedom spelled all in CAPS.

My Older brother heard about this and said that he'd maybe be in a position to do it in five years or so. Now, there's a difference between sizes, but his heart is an issue and I'm not inclined to support his thinking if he's going to be 74 when he buys one.

Are you comfortable in your own skin? You're obviously healthy now, and that's what's important. If any of us get health surprises, it isn't a big deal to sell our toys.

The only caveat I might bring to the table is to consider a used unit first, and drive it for a year or so. If you like this life, you can always trade up.

Maybe the kids are worried that you'll buy a new one and watch it depreciate without being used? If your family is financially conservative, that might be it?
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You won't listen to your kids but you will listen to us other old folks. Good. Go for it. It is your bucket list.

My grandmother introduced me to her boyfriend when she was about 85. She was a bit concerned about my opinion since grandpa had only been gone 20 yrs. She actually said, "I'm not sleeping with him". I said, "grandma, don't wait too long and be sure to move close to the schools". I loved my grandma.

I know many folks with a pilots license still flying. Make check lists and take your time.
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #21
Try another tact. Tell them you want to move to Argentina and learn to tango. When they try and convince you it's a really bad idea, use the coach approach as a back up. There is no reason to stop your plans so you kids will feel at ease. Develop a network of support for your plans and let her rip.
UncleRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #22
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If you have never driven anything bigger than a station wagon(van), I would suggest taking an RV driving course. I agree with the ones that say to rent one 1st and see if you like it, now if you have been rv'ing before and already know about it, then I say go for it. There are a lot of single RV forums that you can lean on for information from someone that is in a similar situation as yours.
Good luck and wish you the best,
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #23
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Amore88 View Post
I was very gung-ho about making this big change in my life and purchasing a Jayco 31' 2015 mh and being able to see our beautiful country. I have always wanted to be totally free and flexible at my very young age of 70.
My kids are lobbying against the idea and it's making me think twice. Their concern is for my safety.
Is there anyone near me that I could talk with or plan my first trip. I live in the Palm Springs area and could use some emotional support.

Welcome to iRV2!
Everyone here has brought up some great points but I noticed you have not come back in and posted again. Please don't let your kids get you down about wanting to travel alone - they are concerned is all.
Rent an RV and go close by- Invite the kids over so they can see that you know how to handle yourself.

There are a few things that I can suggest if you do hit the road. These are things that I learned when I was on the road alone. Many of the men in the campground & the forums seemed to watch out for me. The suggestions they gave were as follows:
  • Buy a pair of used Men's workboots from Goodwill and leave them outside the front door. Others will assume there is a man in the coach.
  • Pick up after a large dog in the campground and lay the ziplock bag by the rear tire like you just picked up after a large dog before going to bed.
  • [Moderator Edit]
  • You can always find another single person to caravan with- this might make your kids change their minds-knowing you have a traveling buddy with you in case there is ever an emergency.
Good Luck and hopefully "Happy Traveling"!
Damon Diva ( Formerly Known as MonacoMama)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
1999 Damon Daybreak (Blog)
Damon Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #24
Hi Linda!

I am a 73 year old widow with a 40 foot motorhome and I am currently in Colorado. I drove up here from BRownsville, TX. Today I just drove from Gunnison, CO to Lake City, CO to spend the 4th of July here. You can certainly do the same! I do think that someone's suggestionof renting one for a week is a good idea. Just bear in mind that a rental could have some things wrong with it. Give it a try. RVers are the nicest people in the world and will give freely of their advice and skills!

Another good idea that someone gave is to go to a LOW (Loners on Wheels) campout. You could go and rent a motel room nearby. You will meet lots of people your age and older that are having a wonderful life.

Good luck and have a wonderful rest of your life!

2000 American Dream 40'
Towing a 2005 Saturn
TedToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #25
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Wish I could do it. Plan to retire at 53. (2 more years), but would have a problem getting rid of all my stuff. But do plan to take more 2-3 week trips and a summer trip to AK. If your health is there...go for it....

My parents winter in South Texas (4-5 months) and are in their late 70's...I'm trying to get them to down-size from their 38' pusher....My fathers judgements are starting to worry me....
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have doubts - rent for a time or two and discover what you can do.

If you are sure - go for it.

We get older every day but we are only old if we let ourselves be.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 PM   #27
Have to laugh at the blog asking if your kids are concerned your spending their inheritance. My husband has the same issue with his daughters, so we are putting on the back of our coach "spending my kids inheritance" Lol
foxyhigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #28
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hi Amore88,

At the age of 60, with debilitating back and knee problems, I quit my job and bought a 25' motorhome. I had only spent 1 night in my parent's travel trailer and had driven maybe a total of 200 miles in rental moving trucks the size of my RV. I took a small inheritance and my capuchin monkey and set out to see the USA.

IRV2 has been my go to place whenever I need advice and you will find several threads that address safety of women traveling alone. I chose a motorhome because I feel that I can drive away from a dangerous situation if it happened. But in 3 years, the only time I was fearful was when I was parked in my daughter's Seattle backyard and a gunman was suspected to be within 3 miles. That had nothing to do with RVing.

Others have given you some really good advice. Take from the ideas suggested those that you can live with. I can not have a firearm on board or carry pepper spray because of the monkey. Both of those could be deadly in her hands and I occasionally forget to secure a door or cabinet and she gets into the things inside.

I have since added a dog, who barks at everything and there is a can of wasp spray next to the toilet. The dog is small and she uses puppy pads so I don't have to walk her after dark. I never open the door to anyone, even the police until I'm 100% sure who they are.

I rarely stay in RV parks. I have a network of friends and family all over the country. When traveling from place to place I prefer to stay in a church parking lot in a very small town. They are much quieter than RV parks and Walmart lots.

Remember, it's your life and you sound like you still have the capacity to make decisions for yourself. There were naysayers in my life back then, but thankfully I listened to my heart.

Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote