Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2014, 11:07 AM   #29
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Amore88 View Post
I was very gung-ho about making this big change in my life and purchasing a Jayco 31' 2015 mh and being able to see our beautiful country. I have always wanted to be totally free and flexible at my very young age of 70.
My kids are lobbying against the idea and it's making me think twice. Their concern is for my safety.
Is there anyone near me that I could talk with or plan my first trip. I live in the Palm Springs area and could use some emotional support.

Our children don't always know what's best for us, as we don't always know what's best for them.

My 2 cents:

-Have you ever driven one? If not, see if there's any way that you can practice first---or wait until you have one. THEN practice! When DH and I decided to start riding motorcycles at almost age 50, we practiced in empty school lots on weekends, mall lots on off hours, and at motor vehicle facilities on Sundays (perfect for practicing stopping and turning on mock roadways). I will now do the same with our new-to-us RV.

-Possibly buy near-new used. This way if you change your mind months after taking the plunge, you shouldn't lose as much as you would buying new

-Make sure you're in good enough health for hooking up hoses, unhooking, lugging some things around, etc...although 70 is still YOUNG!

-DH and I are 57 & 58 years old. I worried and worried about the cost and responsibility of getting one. We went ahead and bought a used Winnie 2 weeks ago. We went to a campground an hour away this past Sat. night for the first time to try it all out. I AM HOOKED. My only regret...WHY DIDN'T WE DO THIS SOONER????

- ENJOY LIFE!! Try new things!!! THIS IS NOT A TRIAL RUN. We will all become unhealthy and die one day- or even become seriously ill or immobile before our grande finale. That's the reality. Let's try to get to the finish line with as few regrets as possible.

GO FOR IT!! Best of luck to you!

RVNewB101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by RVNewB101 View Post

- ENJOY LIFE!! Try new things!!! THIS IS NOT A TRIAL RUN.
Well said.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #31
Fleetwood Owners Club
Linda, let me tell you what's going to happen....You have already purchased the m/home...Use it...take a few short trips...talk to people..then take OFF....YOU will be setting the example for your kids...before long, they will be enjoying it too...and bragging about their Mother .....stay at the popular campgrounds...KOA's are always good...sometimes a little expensive...but usually very compatible to everyone and very safe...Join the KOA Kampers Klub...save 10% ..www.koa.com....I'm 70 and have been traveling up and down the east coast for several years now...from Fl. to NH...my original home state...sometimes working as work campers...the fun is in the meeting of people along the way and you will do that...many of my camping friends have become life long email buddies..
One example ( in reverse ) we are at a campground now in the White Mtns. of NH and its just a little to far out of the main stream of campers..so during the week, no one is here but us...now that sucks...lol We are beginning to head south to home in Fl. next week...should be there around the 1st of August or so...lol btw...working at some of these summer places, ( a scenic railroad, a zip line, etc. ) at 70, I'm out working some of these kids and not really trying hard..so don't let those numbers slow you down...you'll find out, your a youngster among many campers...

Have fun...show your kids how to do it !
kchadw1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:39 AM   #32
Monaco Owners Club
Go out and have fun. At our age we all make the mistake of thinking we have time. We don't, and 99% of the stuff we worry about never happens. Live for today because that is all we got.
Hope to see you on the road.
OKrver 2002 HR Ambassador
2003 Dodge Dakota 4X4
2012 Polaris ESP 850 Tour
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We had one child oppose our decision to sell the house and RV full time and one who supported us 100%. We raised our children and they are adults with families of their own now. Why shouldn't we get out and travel and enjoy our retirement years. Their life doesn't center around us, so why would we want to stay home. I hope you decide to follow your dreams and enjoy yourself.
Brenda and Frank, FTers, Zebulon, NC
Raisin our mixed hound and our cat BooBoo.
2004 37' Holiday Rambler Vacationer
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #34
Thor Owners Club
I broke my leg (tibial plateu fracture and fractured femur) about 3 weeks ago when I was hit on my duty motorcycle by a U turning vehicle. I went from being a totally active person to sitting in a lawn chair watering the garden. I reflected that this might be how my last few years on earth might be, but I never imagined I would be immobile at my age.

My point is I now know what it is like to be immobile and not have choices to RV or walk (our annual RV trip is cancelled), except with crutches. If you, being an older person, or anybody else have the gift of mobility and good mental/physical health, get out there and RV, walk, swim, do all the things that we have taken for granted during our lives. Because not being able to do it is frankly depressing....and there is nothing worse than living with regret.

I'll get most of my mobility again, but this has been a good life lesson for me. I'm learning humility (asking for help), patience, acceptance and forgiveness.

So if your 70 and starting out RVing and want to do it full time, listen to the concerns of your family, make a decision and get out there.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #35
Just tell them you will take your 29 year old boy friend with you and everything will be fine. I think age should not be a factor if you are in good health there are lots of single female touring the country. My only concern not knowing you can you handle driving it,setting it up and taking care of the problems that sometimes arises.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #36
I have heard of people your age buying year round Cruise ship adventures. They live 24-7 365 aboard ship. Have maid service, meals, entertainment and Healthcare on board. Run that pass them and see what they say to that!

I agree with the others. I figure if you are healthy, capable and wise enough to own a home with no troubles then a motor home would be little difference.
Buy your MH, get a good cell phone w/GPS and off you go!
SylviaCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #37
I need encouragement.

Of course by now you see the trend of advice ... Go for it !! We are older (71) and never asked our children for their opinion or permission. We don't tell them how to conduct their lives either.

They know our plan is to enjoy ourselves. How could they not like that idea?
Moonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #38
Linda, maybe your kids are jealous. Go for it.........
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #39
When my wife and I are too old to go RVing and sitting on the porch at the old folks home, we will be able to talk about the things we've done, not the things we wished we had done.

Good luck in your travels.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow, there certainly are a lot of judgmental ASSUMPTIONS being made about the OP's children. She said they are concerned for her safety.

Good grief, people.
Sarah (RVM69), Hubby, and Harry the RVin' Dog
.......2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C | 2012 Jeep Wrangler

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:18 PM   #41

Originally Posted by Amore88 View Post
I was very gung-ho about making this big change in my life and purchasing a Jayco 31' 2015 mh and being able to see our beautiful country. I have always wanted to be totally free and flexible at my very young age of 70.

My kids are lobbying against the idea and it's making me think twice. Their concern is for my safety.

Offer this to alleviate your kids fears. It's a satellite tracker messenger that works anywhere on planet earth.....even places that don't have a cell phone signal. They can see where you are plotted on a map, anytime 24/7. You can also use it to send emergency messages if the need arises.

I plan to get one !

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404256681.155265.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	66625
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #42
New Horizons Owners Club
We hope you get to realize your dream Linda.

2013 New Horizons 37' Majestic, 2013 Ford F-450 Lariat
Full-time RV April 2013, Retired January 2014
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote