Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 AM   #1

I need encouragement.

I was very gung-ho about making this big change in my life and purchasing a Jayco 31' 2015 mh and being able to see our beautiful country. I have always wanted to be totally free and flexible at my very young age of 70.
My kids are lobbying against the idea and it's making me think twice. Their concern is for my safety.
Is there anyone near me that I could talk with or plan my first trip. I live in the Palm Springs area and could use some emotional support.

Thx,
Linda

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

It seems you've waited long enough to start, if you think you are still psychically and mentally able then go for it.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I need encouragement.

We've seen so many older folks RV around the country. 70 is no age at all. Like the other poster said, if you're still physically fit and able, and the finances are there then I would go for it. Don't wait until it's too late and then have regrets about never doing it. If you need support on the road (or it helps your kids to support you) there are many singles clubs, caravans and/or rallies you can join to start the journey. Once on the road, you'll quickly find your groove.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:04 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Smile Keep it between the lines!

I think if your health allows, go for it. Take short trips at first just to get the feel of everything. Go to a empty parking lot, practice backing, and turning. Start out driving on secondary roads, then progress to the interstate systems.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Gee ... I hope my kids don't ever try to talk me out of one of my lifetime dreams. One thing is for sure, every day that you delay your adventure, is one day less that you will have to enjoy it. Age 70 is young in my book. I'd GO FOR IT! WooHoo! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Are they concerned for you or concerned you are spending their inheritance? If your health is up to it go for it. If you have any concerns as to whether you are up to doing this; why not rent a unit and take a trip to see how it works out. Rental costs would be a lot less than you would loose if you buy something and then make the decision that it is too much for you and have to sell.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #7

Better yet skip the interstates whenever possible. You will see more while not being pushed by the traffic around you. I'd hate to think we have to give up out MH next year! As long as you can handle the work part you might as well enjoy life. Pick a unit that works with any slides in and if you get tired find a pulloff and take a nap.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
Are they concerned for you or concerned you are spending their inheritance? If your health is up to it go for it. If you have any concerns as to whether you are up to doing this; why not rent a unit and take a trip to see how it works out. Rental costs would be a lot less than you would loose if you buy something and then make the decision that it is too much for you and have to sell.
I totally agree with this... Rent one first,,, if your trip or two works out and you like it,,, GO FOR IT !!!!! Life is short... I'm only 55 and I think everyday how I have wasted my time... GO try it !!!! Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amore88 View Post
I was very gung-ho about making this big change in my life and purchasing a Jayco 31' 2015 mh and being able to see our beautiful country. I have always wanted to be totally free and flexible at my very young age of 70.
My kids are lobbying against the idea and it's making me think twice. Their concern is for my safety.
Is there anyone near me that I could talk with or plan my first trip. I live in the Palm Springs area and could use some emotional support.

Thx,
Linda
When you say "change in my life," are you considering going full-time? Have you ever RV'd before? I agree with the suggestion to rent an RV first and take a trip to see how it goes. Everyone should have the opportunity to make a dream come true...just make sure you see the reality, too. Good luck and don't be discouraged; it's nice that your children are concerned about you.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Linda, you didn't say if you have had any RV'ing experience, an whether you own a home now, and if so, whether you were thinking about selling it when you get the MH.

I would NOT let the kids dictate how you live your life at this stage! If you plan to full-time, you can visit them as much or as little as you want! It's certainly a big step, but one that you need to make in YOUR best interests, NOT your kids'!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

Thx,
Linda

PM okmunky on this forum... She spends part of the year down south some of it in Florida and part of the year in the Northwet as she calls it... Her aim is to live where she is comfortable.

She has been full-timing for a year or 2, the first year I believe she had awful knees and still did it on her own, she just had replacements done... there will be no keeping her down now!
MartySQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:43 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Linda and welcome to the forum.

When I retired, my wife and I bought a new 40 foot diesel pusher and hit the road... even though we had never had any type of RV before. We've had a ball and never once regretted our decision.

We live 20 miles west of Phoenix so it's about a 4 hour trip but we'd be glad to discuss things with you over lunch if you are ever inclined to head this way.

It wasn't clear to me whether or not you had already purchased the coach.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #13

Do your kids support you, pay your bills? Do you babysit the grandkids a lot? Usually, there is another motive for someone not wanting you to live YOUR dream. Take the suggestions of other posters, if you have little or no rv experience, start slow, rent an rv and go out for a week, then 2 weeks, then a month. Look for some other single groups, I know of one, LOW or Loners on Wheels, they surely have a website. Good luck and live your life as you choose. It's just as safe on the road as it is at home. There are more rv's broken into sitting in the storage yards than in cg's.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Thx,
Linda
Linda
If you plan on using a RV to see our beautiful country totally free and flexible, I recommend you think more about your $$.... than your safety and/or what your kids want.
If you have roughly TWICE as much money to spend, (after you buy the Jayco), than what you plan on spending you MAY have enough.

Mel
'96 Safari, (seeing our country since '03)